Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392241 times)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3690 on: July 24, 2020, 07:31:28 AM »
That combination would result in all of the living Hotakainens having taken up residence inside of Emil’s head at one point or another.
And what better place could there be to have your soul ejected to? I mean, you’ve got cake, food, a nanny to take care of you, fire in the background that never quite reaches the house - sounds like a nice little vacation destination!

Onni (with a mouthful of cake): Lalli, I think I get now why you were in that guys head for that long. (takes a nother bite)

Lalli: Told you. Try the chocolate-cake.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3691 on: July 24, 2020, 01:45:13 PM »
But oh noes! I take it all back! It would be the end of Emilalli. Because that just wouldn't...
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

ftmshepard

• slowing growing roots (more or less)
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #3692 on: July 24, 2020, 10:44:48 PM »
I mean, brain-residence doesn't mean there during smooches, or whatever. I don't think it would necessarily stop the ship, but I don't particularly want it to happen either.

Also, Onni, can you really stop the clowns.

Also I'm curious how Onni knows what a clown is. Do they have circuses in the known world? Is there some surviving russian carnival troop?
know: :usa:/ :canada: || extremely familiar: :vaticancity: learning: :mexico: :brazil: ancient greek || know the alphabet: :southkorea: :russia: || wish I knew :finland:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3693 on: July 25, 2020, 06:47:50 AM »
When Lalli was in Emil’s head, he was watching through Emil’s eyes, but it wasn’t established whether he would be able to not look. Even if Onni could lock himself out for smoochies, it would be blaringly uncomfortable for all of them. And I think there are enough complications with just the one Hotakainen in the ship :)

Now that circus troop is a Fic Wanting to Happen! But also there may be surviving books (or remakes of them). I love the troop idea though! Somebody write it quick!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3694 on: July 25, 2020, 06:58:22 AM »
Now that circus troop is a Fic Wanting to Happen!
It is?
Do they cry for joy of sparkles?
Something something sparkle fairies something something.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3695 on: July 25, 2020, 07:15:37 AM »
Hahaa, the circus was great! The other one I didn’t start yet due to length, I’m working my way through the Archive slowly.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3696 on: July 25, 2020, 08:22:18 AM »
I'm curious how Onni knows what a clown is. Do they have circuses in the known world?

They might; or they might have individual clowns with no circus just doing parties and so on, as some of them do now. Or the word might easily have hung on even if there aren't any costumed clowns in existence. How many people who say somebody's nitpicking are thinking of actually picking nits when they use the word? (There's probably even better examples, as lice do still exist, but I can't seem to think of them right now.)

-- actually a society that probably doesn't have many of our forms of entertainment might be more likely to resurrect circuses; but in the other direction, travelling troupes seem unlikely as the travel itself is risky plus which they'd probably have to keep going into quarantine whenever they changed areas. Maybe small ones that mostly move around within a given safe zone?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3697 on: July 25, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »
(There's probably even better examples, as lice do still exist, but I can't seem to think of them right now.)
(The standard idiom in German is "to believe that a Zitronenfalter folds lemons". I suppose that the animal's English name, "brimstone butterfly", could be made into a similarly nonsensical quip.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3698 on: July 28, 2020, 08:18:28 PM »
I didn't read all the comments on today's page, but it seems that the general consensus is that the crew may be bemused, mildly surprised, unimpressed, annoyed, or confused, but certainly not scared. There are a few amusing ideas about what Onni has done to try to turn them back, but no serious suggestions. He must have done something with the troll on a stick, but what? He has to realise they've encountered his "modern art" installations, so an impaled troll isn't going to frighten them. I suppose Minna is going to reveal a new twist on Finnish mage skills, so it's impossible to predict, but if anyone has theories, I'd love to hear them. Maybe he's able to animate the dead troll?
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #3699 on: July 29, 2020, 04:27:54 AM »
The smartest one I read in the comments so far was that he would put the troll on a stick somewhere and his cloak over it, to pretend to already have died. That might have even had a small chance of success, even though Lalli would have probably felt it if he actually died. But then they could argument that maybe he didn´t feel it because Onni completely cut his dreamspace off from everyone else.

But since Onni was going for "scare them away", and this isn´t really scary per se, that´s probably not what he did. (It also would be totally rude to play with the others´ feelings like that!) Another theory I read a lot is that he would try to immitate an attack by Surma, which then fails because he actually hasn´t seen what that looks like, while the others can tell it´s not Surma. I think that might be the most likely option.

But I don´t know. I´d also love to hear more theories. :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:30:03 AM by Mirasol »

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3700 on: July 29, 2020, 09:05:40 AM »
The playing dead option seemed the most likely to me, I think he's beyond worrying about hurting others' feelings. But it seemed like a kind of small troll to stand in for him. He didn't ask for a big troll, just an easy target.

Of course my own suggestion of an animated troll reminded me of this Alien parody... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ePMb7um9E  and darn it, I lack the artistic talent to realise the mental image I now have of the dancing troll. It would even fit with the crew's expressions!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3701 on: July 30, 2020, 04:38:26 PM »

Yep, I'm a scary baaaad spirit subsisting on the souls of unwary travellers.  I take pride in my abilities, and I'm the baddest of the bad around these here parts, which is why I've posted signs to ...uhhh... drive my nourishment away.

Spoiler: show
Why no, I'm not tipping my headcanon, why would I do that? XD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:40:46 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #3702 on: July 30, 2020, 06:21:26 PM »

So that all went out of the window, Huh? Rest in pieces, theories, I guess.

Still, I can´t say that I´m disappointed.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3703 on: July 30, 2020, 07:34:27 PM »

Haha, it sure does! I was soooo sure he couldn't possibly be silly enough to think a troll on a stick would be enough. Okay, actually he wasn't, but adding the messages scrawled in blood doesn't really improve the odds of success. Sigh. Poor Onni, he really has been out there alone for too long. Someone give the guy a hug, a safe place to rest up, and a good meal or several.

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3704 on: August 11, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »
So... Biggest question for Thursday: who slapped Reynir? (to kill an insect)
Reynir himself (except he looks a bit too surprised and the arm potition is the sort that doesn't quite feel right)
Lalli (remember, this is the SILENT world; Lalli doesn't speak Icelandic and Reynir doesn't understand Finnish; and Lalli is generally silent.) who just kills that insect and then shows it to Reynir. Sitting with Emil on the next bench facing Reynir.
Emil -- umm... maybe.
Onni by controlling Reynir. (Improvised Finnish magic requires noise-making! I don't think so.)
Tuuri possessing Reynir or pecking him. (She's still in Onni's bag)
Sigrun and Mikkel don't seem like the type to bother, if they even noticed any insects. Mikkel may insist on some remedies/ scare Reynir about "face cancer" later though...

Personally, I think it was Lalli.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany: