Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392399 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3495 on: January 24, 2020, 11:19:11 PM »
OK, just before this topic falls off the first page entirely --

Who is Onni talking to? Himself? Tuuri? Other? Anybody wanna guess?

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #3496 on: January 25, 2020, 07:51:43 AM »
I’m guessing Tuuri because we saw the Tuuri-bird earlier with Onni, and wanting to go investigate a mysterious sensor-tapping spirit is such a Tuuri thing to do.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3497 on: January 26, 2020, 07:09:03 AM »
Who is Onni talking to? Himself? Tuuri? Other? Anybody wanna guess?
While I agree that Tuuri, already having been shown in a panel as far as we can tell, is the likeliest answer, I'd like to point out that there are plenty of other possibilities. We know that major spirits/gods have remained from pre-Rash times, and the hallmark of a Finnish mage like Onni is the ability to perceive - and, I suppose, communicate with - them. Picture a regionally important entity getting fed up with said region having turned into a Supertroll Zone and a cooperation with whatever professional noita shows up there - note that Väinö insists on staying out and observing from a distance - becomes a distinct possibility ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

« Reply #3498 on: January 26, 2020, 11:22:13 AM »
We know[/url] that major spirits/gods have remained from pre-Rash times, and the hallmark of a Finnish mage like Onni is the ability to perceive - and, I suppose, communicate with - them. Picture a regionally important entity getting fed up with said region having turned into a Supertroll Zone and a cooperation with whatever professional noita shows up there - note that Väinö insists on staying out and observing from a distance - becomes a distinct possibility ...

That's a really interesting idea. I'd love to see a local spirit-of-the-place show up and get involved in this.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3499 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:39 PM »
I agree, that would be really interesting!

On that vein, what kind of places would you suppose have their Keepers in this world? In pre-Christian times is was many natural features, and some human places (home, sauna, drying barn etc), but not every place had them. Would the Keepers have disappeared and now come back, which would mean that they appear for human places as of current humankind. Or would they have been there all the time, just hidden?

Or to put it in other words, would you suppose there could be a Keeper of the airport here? As it is, it’s not a notable natural place, and it has no meaning for the humans of Y91, but in the pre-rash times it could have held significance to many people.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3500 on: January 26, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »
It would not surprise me if places still had their ‘genius loci’, whether they were of natural places or of made ones. And Onni is a mage. Many traditions of magic in our world invoke such beings, often for protective or seeking magics. Learning to be aware of such beings and to work with them is part of the reason that many our-world magical traditions include in their training or initiation a time of retreat and meditation in a sacred site.

Though in this instance my guess would be that he is talking to Tuuri.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

« Reply #3501 on: February 02, 2020, 10:19:46 PM »
Is Lalli detecting trolls by scent?

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3502 on: February 03, 2020, 08:22:53 PM »
Is Lalli detecting trolls by scent?

I don't think so.  In previous sniffing incidents, Minna actually writes 'sniff sniff' and draws the nose from underneath.  Here, the little action lines are at the bridge of his nose, not the bottom, and in a radius around the focus of his squint.  I think he's concentrating his 'third eye' or noita senses to try to tease out more specific details from the general trollish noise.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #3503 on: February 05, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »
a few things:

1. it just occurred to me that each person in the group has a bond with everybody else -- even lalli connected to sigrun a little bit in the last page with some swedish (plus they already had a good working relationship). but reynir has basically no personal connection to emil (except age) and even less with sigrun. so it's funny to see a page where we actually see sigrun and reynir being awkward haha.

it's like how there's always 1 person in your friend group that you don't like being alone with because you have nothing to talk about lol.

2. sigrun saying "they probably had a whole bunch of non-immunes in there!" about the ruined settlement brings up a point that i don't think has been discussed very much -- are grosslings more attracted to non-immunes than immunes? and if so, why?

we know from notoros that they probably just like eating people in general (regardless of immunity). but i've gotten a sense in a few places throughout the story that they seem to go after non-immunes more. for example when the crabtroll lunged at reynir specifically, when the giant on the train tried to get into the area with the non-immunes... and most notably, when the troll that got tuuri sensed her and reynir inside the cattank (despite there being no visible indication of people in there) and went after them
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3504 on: February 06, 2020, 12:02:17 AM »
This has not been explained so far. My own headcanon is that infected organisms will go for anything but especially target the non-immune? Maybe the Rash has some sort of awareness, maybe it wants to incorporate fresh bodies into the mass of the infected and trollified, maybe their flesh just tastes sweeter? Who knows?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3505 on: February 06, 2020, 05:36:20 PM »
a few things:

1. it just occurred to me that each person in the group has a bond with everybody else -- even lalli connected to sigrun a little bit in the last page with some swedish (plus they already had a good working relationship). but reynir has basically no personal connection to emil (except age) and even less with sigrun. so it's funny to see a page where we actually see sigrun and reynir being awkward haha.

They did have the experience in Pastor Anne's church together, even though they can't talk about it directly.  Also, she did try to relay via Mikkel that he should consider making staves in blood.  So she has some kind of working relationship with him.

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

thorny

« Reply #3506 on: February 20, 2020, 09:30:25 PM »
Speaking of Reynir and Sigrun getting along --

I have just got to say that I love page 232.

[good grief. Did I just hit 1000 posts? Didn't notice that till afterwards.]

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #3507 on: February 21, 2020, 01:19:01 AM »
I'll second that! Page 232 fills me with pure joy.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3508 on: February 22, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »
[good grief. Did I just hit 1000 posts? Didn't notice that till afterwards.]

Yes, and I have been watching that tantalising 999 posts all week!  Please go claim your airport over in the Promotion Celebrations thread.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3509 on: February 23, 2020, 07:18:12 AM »
And at the same time, Keep Looking made it to the safe zone!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.