Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392346 times)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3480 on: August 24, 2019, 05:08:16 AM »
I was re-reading the TVTropes entry I wrote about the prologue Hotakainens foreshadowing stuff about the present-day ones (mostly Tuuri's fate, though), and I rememebered a piece of dialog that looks like someone had a good hunch of what would happen within his niece's lifetime: Bans on public gathering places, uh? (last panel)
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3481 on: August 26, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »
I was re-reading the TVTropes entry I wrote about the prologue Hotakainens foreshadowing stuff about the present-day ones (mostly Tuuri's fate, though), and I rememebered a piece of dialog that looks like someone had a good hunch of what would happen within his niece's lifetime: Bans on public gathering places, uh? (last panel)

Yes.. and, coming with all the preparation and food storage, maybe he's had some other hunches too. Tuuli and the sauna-birth -- well, I think that did end up happening...

Also... Eino calling Helmi a witch -- maybe he's not that far off...
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3482 on: August 27, 2019, 12:16:55 AM »
Yes.. and, coming with all the preparation and food storage, maybe he's had some other hunches too. Tuuli and the sauna-birth -- well, I think that did end up happening...

Also... Eino calling Helmi a witch -- maybe he's not that far off...

I'm fairly sure Minna confirmed Ensi's sauna birth on one of the streams. 
Helmi-as-a-troll pops up from time to time among fan speculation, but usually as a spit-take.  But...who knows, that might be genuine foreshadowing! 
Also, panel 5 of that same page - tell me that's not Tuuri's stubborn pout on Aino's face!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3483 on: October 02, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
I'm a bit puzzled as to how multiple islands got infected at basically the same time.

The islands are all shown as being on fire at once -- presumably as part of the cleansing process? So they must all have been infected by the time the cleaning crews got there. But those crews were notified as soon as Ensi realized Helga had already spread the infection; so before Ensi, even if she did get taken over by the kade, could have infected all those other islands herself. And it took some time for Hilja to infect her own island -- she had to first infect herself from the small troll, then develop the infection to the point at which she was contagious -- can't remember how long that takes, but several days, I think? And as she arrived on her own island uninfected (although controlled by the kade) she can't have infected all the other islands en route.

Did the kade take over multiple travellers at once, each from different islands?

Did multiple trollified people from Ensi's island escape to the other islands before the cleansers got there, despite Code Zero procedures presumably designed to keep everyone in place and despite the fact that nobody other than Hilja had been showing any symptoms at all yet and there appears to be at least some delay between first symptoms and loss of control of the original personality, and manage to spread infection quickly enough that it was already past containment on those islands also?

Did Hilja infect not only herself, but a batch of other mammals, and somehow get those mammals over to multiple other islands without anyone noticing her doing that?

Do people routinely travel between the islands with sufficient frequency that infected-but-not-yet-symptomatic residents of Ensi's island had coughed on people from the other islands? And, if so, how did Omni and Tuuri escape infection?

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3484 on: October 02, 2019, 01:27:49 PM »
I'm partial to the last option, with the extra possibility that there were people from the other islands (excluding the farm island) at the bake sale as well. Since many people seem to forget this, remember that when Lalli said Onni and Tuuri were on the farming island, he also mentioned that they would have quarantine on the way back. This means that every single person returning from the harvest was also just coming out of quarantine, so Onni and Tuuri basically went straight from quarantine to their home.
I admit it may be strange to have quarantine for just the farm island but not others, but that's what I'm going with unless something else comes up.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3485 on: October 02, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »
It's possible that Hilja visited other islands during the infected-but-not-yet showing phase, about the time she puffed at Ilmari.  It was mentioned that no one had seen her around the village much in that time period - as a scout, it would not cause comment for her to pop up in other villages. 
*puffs in face* "Yes, I've been through quarantine, I know the procedures."  *puffs again*  "You don't have to get officious with me, I just want to get some of Anu's mead and I'll be gone."

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

thorny

« Reply #3486 on: October 08, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »
Makes sense, both of you. And I can even think of a reason why the farm island might require quarantine but not the others: maybe they cleaned the other islands before building on them by burning them off entirely; but didn't burn the farm island because that would have killed perennial crop plants that they didn't want to destroy, so they cleaned that only by hunting through it for trolls and spot-burning limited areas, and they're not sure whether that did as complete a job as burning the whole place.

Now I've got another one: it seems that, at least from this one point guarded by the Bird Man, people have been going out into the Silent World all along. So our team's expedition wasn't all that unusual; or at least not all that unusual for that reason. Maybe what made it such a big deal was that they were going into an area nobody'd gone into for many years?

And why is regular quarantine sufficient for people returning from other uncleansed areas, but not for people returning from this one? Yes, I know there's a kade in this one. But they have no way of knowing whether there are kades in the other uncleansed areas, also.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3487 on: October 08, 2019, 10:34:00 PM »
Re: the farm island, I believe Minna said (unless it was just a popular theory and I'm having a brain moment?) that the islands were set up with a haven for the non-immune in the middle, who could stay there and do farming while immune people made excursions out. So, if you're on the outer islands, you're assuming that anybody you contact will be immune and therefore quarantine is not needed, whereas if an infected person comes to the farming island the Rash could spread really fast there.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

thorny

« Reply #3488 on: October 09, 2019, 10:25:42 AM »
Except that most of the people on the non-farming islands weren't immune. If they'd been all or even mostly immune, most of them would have survived. It's clear that very few people on Ensi's island, at least, were immune.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3489 on: November 16, 2019, 01:43:55 AM »
Something just hit me concerning the possible reason next week's pages are spoilery. The Adventure II cover shows the white bird-thingy some of us suspect to be Tuuri in some form in landscape full of cars. There's certainly plenty of cars around the crew right now.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3490 on: November 16, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »
Something just hit me concerning the possible reason next week's pages are spoilery. The Adventure II cover shows the white bird-thingy some of us suspect to be Tuuri in some form in landscape full of cars. There's certainly plenty of cars around the crew right now.

Om my goodness, that is a great catch!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3491 on: November 17, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
It woould be sweet if it were Tuuri! And more or less in keeping with the Finnish faith, the Ancient Finns were big on ancestors. They required attention and respect, but could also affect the living for better or worse, partially depending on the attention and received, and on the ex person in question, and their relationship when alive. So Tuuri appearing as a spirit to guide and advise them wouldn’t be out of the question.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #3492 on: November 25, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »
[Pg. 190]

Yikes! It looks like mini-car troll cast Summon Bigger Fish. Giant truck monster looks a LOT scarier, and way harder to deal with.

Is the crew gonna run, or stand their ground and fight? Given that they have a non-immune among them (Reynir), fighting it may not be the wisest option...

Also, all in favor of calling these car-trolls "Hermits"? They look like hermit crabs with those pointy legs...

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3493 on: November 26, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »
[Pg. 190]

Yikes! It looks like mini-car troll cast Summon Bigger Fish. Giant truck monster looks a LOT scarier, and way harder to deal with.

Is the crew gonna run, or stand their ground and fight? Given that they have a non-immune among them (Reynir), fighting it may not be the wisest option...

Also, all in favor of calling these car-trolls "Hermits"? They look like hermit crabs with those pointy legs...

Iiiii think we may get to see more rune action, maybe, despite Reynir playing it down.

LilG

« Reply #3494 on: November 27, 2019, 12:07:11 AM »
I'd really like to see Reynir draw the fire rune on a long stick or wooden spear and then give it to Sigrun to throw it at "The Milk Man" and see it go up in flames.
Though, i don't think they have time for that, considering that the hermits are closing in on them at a moderate speed.
Native :romania:
Fluent :uk:
Sucks at :france: