Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392295 times)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3330 on: February 18, 2019, 10:07:07 AM »
I think what I'm confused about is who's where when. Wasn't Lalli supposed to have gone off with Emil before Reynir got back from his classes? Or are they all still based at the farm, Emil and Lalli still staying there?

I'd say the second one. The only people who were definitely seen leaving were Torbjörn and Siv, Trond and all the older siblings of Reynir's who didn't quit their job to marry their sweetheart. Sigrun, Mikkel, Emil and Lalli were seen shopping for clothes in a place that may be Reykjavik, but there is no indication that they jumped on a boat after that. Considering the implied travel times in the setting, it would make sense for Sigrun and Mikkel to wait out Kitty's training rather than go to Norway, then travel back to Iceland to pick her up once the training is done. And if the clothes shopping scene wasn't an indication that the characters shown in it were about to leave Iceland, it would make sense for Emil and Lalli to still be around as well.

Otherwise, yes, it does look more and more like an "everyone decides to join Onni" scenario.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:11:12 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3331 on: February 18, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »
Yes, I just read back through a few pages and I think you're right, Grade E cat. I think I misunderstood a bit on my earlier reading -- for one, I took Sigrun's saying that Kitty was going home with Sigrun to mean that they were going direct to Sigrun's home from the cat training place; but it doesn't necessarily mean that. And Mikkel says to Emil 'when you leave here', but that doesn't mean that Emil's leaving was imminent.

I also realized on that re-reading that not only Mikkel, but Reynir also knows that Onni said he was going to Saimaa. I thought maybe Lalli was going to try to ask Reynir to go into Onni's dreamspace (Lalli I think needs to be invited, but Reynir seems to be able to invade it) to find out where Onni went; but Reynir can confirm the Saimaa destination without having to do that.

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3332 on: February 18, 2019, 01:00:20 PM »
It goes like this:
Lalli: Onni?
Reynir: Saimaa

Not too weird, I guess. Lalli had the letter, he heard Taru say one thing and Mikkel something else -- concluding with "I don't know" when he asks the ONLY person he can ask as Taru is only one speaking Finnish. But if you're looking for a person and ask someone who knows that person by name... do you actually need to say anything but the name?
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3333 on: February 18, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »
It goes like this:
Reynir: Saimaa

Not too weird, I guess. Lalli had the letter, he heard Taru say one thing and Mikkel something else -- concluding with "I don't know" when he asks the ONLY person he can ask as Taru is only one speaking Finnish. But if you're looking for a person and ask someone who knows that person by name... do you actually need to say anything but the name?

Reynir: *heavy sigh* where do I start?  First I saw, he was this awesome owl, swooping in to save me...
Lalli:  >:(  nvm
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

« Reply #3334 on: February 18, 2019, 04:45:58 PM »
Especially since much of this comic seems to be about the perils of miscommunication . . .

I can see the next step being Lalli trying to get Emil into their joint dreamspace (where the language problem doesn't apply), so Lalli can ask Emil (who probably can't answer the question himself) to ask Reynir to find out where Onni went --

But maybe it won't get that complicated, and Lalli will manage to get across to Reynir what the question is.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3335 on: February 18, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
And while Reynir and Lalli have no common language in the waking world, both of them speak Dream (no language barriers in dreamspace). Since there appears to be some connection between physical distance between bodies and the distance between Havens in the Dreamworld, (remember Reynir just stepping across into Lalli's space the first time he did it, when they were sleeping near one another in the tank), though I doubt that is the only factor. Now they are sharing a bedroom he should have no problems. Lalli can't charge through wards as Reynir can, but he can hammer on Reynir's walls and yell as he did at Onni's Haven.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

« Reply #3336 on: February 18, 2019, 09:38:14 PM »
  I can see the next step being Lalli trying to get Emil into their joint dreamspace (where the language problem doesn't apply), so Lalli can ask Emil (who probably can't answer the question himself) to ask Reynir to find out where Onni went --

Duh (directed at myself). It doesn't need to be that complicated -- Lalli only needed to get into dreamspace directly with Reynir, of course.

loooongtea

« Reply #3337 on: February 20, 2019, 09:21:27 PM »
Reynir is going to spill the beans, isn't he? It's not like he would know about saaima ether. Tuuri probably never told him about what happened to their family or what forced them to leave.

peeweevireo

« Reply #3338 on: February 20, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »
Soooo regarding Reynir's magic/dream-related abilities, is he able to walk across those giant seas because of that? I didn't notice until today because of how Lalli was standing on the precipice of some underwater cliff or something, so it looked to me that it wasn't anything that any dream-faring person could do. Also, it's cute that the dog can do what Reynir can. What a sweet little dog...

loooongtea

« Reply #3339 on: February 20, 2019, 10:39:40 PM »
Soooo regarding Reynir's magic/dream-related abilities, is he able to walk across those giant seas because of that? I didn't notice until today because of how Lalli was standing on the precipice of some underwater cliff or something, so it looked to me that it wasn't anything that any dream-faring person could do. Also, it's cute that the dog can do what Reynir can. What a sweet little dog...

I think minna said that Icelandic mages can walk on water while the Finnish mages have to 'command' the sea floor to come to them. I was just browsing the google doc of saved info and I think she said something along those lines IIRC.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #3340 on: February 21, 2019, 05:47:11 AM »
Soooo regarding Reynir's magic/dream-related abilities, is he able to walk across those giant seas because of that? I didn't notice until today because of how Lalli was standing on the precipice of some underwater cliff or something, so it looked to me that it wasn't anything that any dream-faring person could do.

If you look back to when Reynir and Onni were adventuring around, Onni could only get across the water by jumping on Reynir's footprints like stepping stones :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3341 on: February 21, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »
If you look back to when Reynir and Onni were adventuring around, Onni could only get across the water by jumping on Reynir's footprints like stepping stones :)
That was Lalli. When he took Onni over to A's church, Reynir started shoving him along, and then they somehow changed places while already on open water and Onni seemed to not step exactly on Reynirs footprints ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

peeweevireo

« Reply #3342 on: February 21, 2019, 06:59:10 PM »
That was Lalli. When he took Onni over to A's church, Reynir started shoving him along, and then they somehow changed places while already on open water and Onni seemed to not step exactly on Reynirs footprints ...
Ummm, then, maybe the Finnish mages need to rely on their abilities to stay afloat. At least, I think Onni is the more experienced mage in the story. Either that, or he was depending on Reynir's touch to not plunge into the... abyss-sea thing...?

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #3343 on: February 21, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »

Opps! My mistake! (Knew I should have looked it up :)))
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

thorny

« Reply #3344 on: February 21, 2019, 09:48:28 PM »
Hmm. Looks like this new expedition starts in the dreamworld.

And with our two most poorly matched main characters actually working together!