Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392201 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3285 on: December 10, 2018, 12:37:01 PM »
If we assume that...
3) The moon seen on page 504 is waxing gibbous.
(Sorry, but as far North as Denmark, the Moon's terminator travels exclusively right to left, resulting in ... : )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3286 on: December 10, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »
The more I think of it, the more I'm tempted to peg "Aunt Helga" as a member of Ragnar's generation rather than of Árni (Ragnarsson)'s, as I've seen assumed by some people in the comments. She's pretty much stated to be dead, presumably of old age, in the present day and she's shown to have typical "old lady" complaints in the childhood flashback.

(I hope Kiraly doesn't mind if I use her most best Ragnar.  Look at this guy...)
<Darth Vader voice> So... you have a...sister...
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #3287 on: December 10, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »
(Sorry, but as far North as Denmark, the Moon's terminator travels exclusively right to left, resulting in ... : )

Well dagnabit! ;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3288 on: December 11, 2018, 01:42:30 AM »
(I hope Kiraly doesn't mind if I use her most best Ragnar.  Look at this guy...)
<Darth Vader voice> So... you have a...sister...

The siblings in that movie were fraternal twins. I'd be on board for that concerning Ragnar and Helga as well. Wait, I'm already headcanoning (is that a word? if not, it should be) the three Västerström brats as triplets, that's starting to make a lot of multiple births in the version of SSSS living in my head...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:44:43 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3289 on: December 11, 2018, 03:13:25 AM »
I don't think the changelings are actually triplets - Sune (the Emil lookalike) is definitely younger than the other two.  I'm not sure whether Anna or Håkan is older.  (Merely being drawn on the same branch on page 629 is not enough to indicate twins, as Mikkel and Michael are not.) 

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3290 on: December 13, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
I'm sure it isn't really; but does anyone else think that last panel looks like Reynir's waving to indicate 'here's my home, under this bridge'?

Surprise plot twist! Reynir's family are actually all old-style trolls!

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3291 on: December 13, 2018, 01:14:16 PM »
I don't think the changelings are actually triplets - Sune (the Emil lookalike) is definitely younger than the other two.  I'm not sure whether Anna or Håkan is older.  (Merely being drawn on the same branch on page 629 is not enough to indicate twins, as Mikkel and Michael are not.)

I... I actually thought Sune was the oldest. Probably because I've only read one of the Sune-books and I remembered that Håkan was the younger brother and he had a younger sister and he had a sister named Anna and I assumed Anna was the younger sister because of that. Turned out Anna was the oldest of the siblings haha.
Of course obviously Minna doesn't have to have Torbjörn and Siv name their kids in the same order as the books the names are from but I still assumed that. I'm slightly ashamed now.
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3292 on: December 13, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
I'm sure it isn't really; but does anyone else think that last panel looks like Reynir's waving to indicate 'here's my home, under this bridge'?

Surprise plot twist! Reynir's family are actually all old-style trolls!

So he's a bit of fixer upper
but this we're certain of
You can fix this fixer upper up
with a little bit of love.

On a slightly more serious note, between the town being built after the Rash outbreak and Fullmetal Alchemist being one of my old fiction flings, my brain went in a "the town is shaped like a rune and Reynir never really paid attention to the fact due to living there all his life" direction in terms of possible reveals for Monday.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3293 on: December 13, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »
I... I actually thought Sune was the oldest. Probably because I've only read one of the Sune-books and I remembered that Håkan was the younger brother and he had a younger sister and he had a sister named Anna and I assumed Anna was the younger sister because of that. Turned out Anna was the oldest of the siblings haha.
Of course obviously Minna doesn't have to have Torbjörn and Siv name their kids in the same order as the books the names are from but I still assumed that. I'm slightly ashamed now.

"The books"?  They're named after book characters?  I seemed to have missed that, which books are those?  (Boo for my ignorance, but YAY for Swedish culture knowledge upgrade?)

On a slightly more serious note, between the town being built after the Rash outbreak and Fullmetal Alchemist being one of my old fiction flings, my brain went in a "the town is shaped like a rune and Reynir never really paid attention to the fact due to living there all his life" direction in terms of possible reveals for Monday.

Also ignorant about FMA, but I really like the idea of the town being built as a living rune.  That would be mind-blowing indeed.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:25:36 PM by wavewright62 »

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3294 on: December 13, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
"The books"?  They're named after book characters?  I seemed to have missed that, which books are those?  (Boo for my ignorance, but YAY for Swedish culture knowledge upgrade?)

Also ignorant about FMA, but I really like the idea of the town being built as a living rune.  That would be mind-blowing indeed.

I'm kind of curious about those books also, since I didn't know they existed until one of the people adding stuff to the TVTropes page besides myself mentioned them.

As for FMA, all you need to is know is that the magic system in that work has a loose equivalent to runes, and one of the twists in the story involves a massive-scale one.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3295 on: December 13, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »

Have some Swedish culture knowledge! I never liked those books much but my brother adored the Sune-series so I may have been biased :P
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

thorny

« Reply #3296 on: January 07, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »
Lalli. Wait a minute. What are you doing on top of a bed?

-- oh. He's a cat. He's claiming the space somebody else was about to use; and the space in the nice sunny window, at that. But still, it's kind of unlike this particular cat.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3297 on: January 08, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »
Lalli. Wait a minute. What are you doing on top of a bed?

-- oh. He's a cat. He's claiming the space somebody else was about to use; and the space in the nice sunny window, at that. But still, it's kind of unlike this particular cat.

Someone over in the disqus comments made the excellent point that for the first time in his life, there are no voices in his head. It occurs to me that his body language is entirely changed as a result. To keep with the cat analogy, up to now he's been like a sick or injured cat - they're all-over tense, like their skin fits closer. A healthy, happy cat is loose and limber... and will go flomp!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thorny

« Reply #3298 on: January 08, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
Someone over in the disqus comments made the excellent point that for the first time in his life, there are no voices in his head.

Wow. I hadn't thought of that. And that is very much a point. Such unhappy voices, too.

Wonder whether he's going to refuse to go back home?

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3299 on: January 09, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
Wonder whether he's going to refuse to go back home?

I've been wondering the same, although from the art that Minna's posted it appears he doesn't. Or gets hauled back against his will...
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi: