Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392270 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3225 on: September 23, 2018, 06:13:48 AM »
*cue series of Minnions all channeling their inner Edna Mode and going, “No capes!”*
I'm still amazed they came up with a character whose name is "Edna Mode" working in a business that's called "fashion" in English but "Mode" in German (and, of course, same or close in several other languages).

Yes, that gives me the perk to reply to "no capes!" with "ist aus der Mode!" (out of fashion) etc.. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3226 on: September 23, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »
Thanks for input, Róisín. Maybe capes do make sense after all. I've just got them associated with superheros, I think; and one of the things I like about this strip is that it's so non-superhero-ey.

ETA: sometimes I like superhero stuff, too. But it's a pleasure to sometimes read comics that aren't like that.

-- JoB, "mode" can mean "fashion" in English, also; though I think it's currently less common.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:11:06 PM by thorny »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3227 on: September 23, 2018, 11:34:22 PM »
'Mode' is fashion in English and also French.

And thorny, the thing with capes and cloaks is that they need to be heavy and well fitted, not all loose and floaty. The heavy and well fitted ones are warmer, safer and more comfortable to wear, and don't get caught up on things.

I can just imagine a superhero in one of those floaty decorative ones getting caught up in some machinery and dragged to death.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #3228 on: September 23, 2018, 11:46:26 PM »
I can just imagine a superhero in one of those floaty decorative ones getting caught up in some machinery and dragged to death.

Exactly a thing in Moore and Gibbon's Watchmen. "Dollar Bill" (the only superhero who wears a cape) gets it caught in the revolving door of a bank while trying to stop a robbery and gets shot to death.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:50:20 AM by Purple Wyrm »
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #3229 on: September 26, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
Well, the comic has ended...

Now what?
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3230 on: September 26, 2018, 11:18:34 PM »
Well, the comic has ended...

Now what?
Now we wait for the next beginning!
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3231 on: September 27, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »
Now we speculate about the next adventure!

Fixed that for you ;)
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

JodyS

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #3232 on: September 27, 2018, 01:19:10 AM »
I only discovered SSSS a couple of months ago, have been putting off reading A Redtail's Dream until the break.  Time to get started on that.
Native speaker: :usa:
Learning to read: :france:

thorny

« Reply #3233 on: September 27, 2018, 09:50:34 AM »
I'm thinking of it pretty much as another chapter break. The length's apparently going to be similar.

-- they're not going to keep Kitty in that little box for a month, are they?!! She'd be horribly upset, and unable to move around properly. Maybe at least she gets an entire isolation cell? though sharing one with a human would be better. She's not much past being an infant, after all; and she doesn't understand the reason for isolation, or that it's temporary.

-- it suddenly occured to me: do we know that Kitty's a she?

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #3234 on: September 27, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »

thorny

« Reply #3235 on: September 27, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks, LooNEY_DAC. I'd forgotten that page.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #3236 on: September 28, 2018, 05:14:39 AM »
I'm thinking of it pretty much as another chapter break. The length's apparently going to be similar.

-- they're not going to keep Kitty in that little box for a month, are they?!! She'd be horribly upset, and unable to move around properly. Maybe at least she gets an entire isolation cell? though sharing one with a human would be better. She's not much past being an infant, after all; and she doesn't understand the reason for isolation, or that it's temporary.

I feel the same about the break. The "end of the first adventure" has a bit of an undeserved finality to it. It naturally means a lot to Minna, since this was the minimum she was going to do with the comic in case she burned out. She reached her goal so it's an achievement, and congratulations are in order. But for us as readers, this is pretty much another chapter break. I'd feel different if, say, there was a significant time skip involved, but based on the illustrations she made with the new outfits, that's not the case.

And I'm sure a culture that is so centered around cats knows better than to lock a cat in a transport box for a month, so don't worry!

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3237 on: September 28, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »
I agree that it feels like just another chapter break and I think the reason for that is that... how do you say this in any language... the premise (?) of the first adventure hasn't concluded yet. Like, compared to the Harry Potter-books (because everyone knows about them) the setup is that "Harry goes a year to Hogwartz" and what follows is Preparations for the year, Actual year, and then Returning home. Here the setup was "The crew goes to Denmark to fetch books which then gets sold for large sums of money". While the "large sum of money" was always questionable we still need to actually see them return with the books and attempt to sell them off to Danish scholars or something for this adventure to be concluded.

At... at least that's what I think.

There also isn't really any feeling that "new adventures await (for this crew)", we just know about it because Minna has said so.
(I mean unless you count The Crews' Battle Against the Chef's Food as the next adventure I guess... And I have a feeling we're not gonna see that :P)

But I'm very happy for Minna for managing to reach this milestone anyway, and I'm really excited about the next adventure! Bring on all the new ideas for fanfics!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #3238 on: September 28, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »
That's a good point, Windy. Things do feel incomplete until we see them reunited with the crew back home, processing what has happened, and deciding if the expedition was a success or not. It doesn't make sense to end the adventure in a place that feels conflict-free but not all "wrapped up", and without a conclusion or thought given to the reason why they set out in the first place. I almost feel like a (short) chapter would have been in order to tie up the minor loose ends even knowing we won't get answers to the bigger questions such as what is "It".

thorny

« Reply #3239 on: September 28, 2018, 09:51:08 AM »
... the premise (?) of the first adventure hasn't concluded yet. Like, compared to the Harry Potter-books (because everyone knows about them) the setup is that "Harry goes a year to Hogwartz" and what follows is Preparations for the year, Actual year, and then Returning home. Here the setup was "The crew goes to Denmark to fetch books which then gets sold for large sums of money". While the "large sum of money" was always questionable we still need to actually see them return with the books and attempt to sell them off to Danish scholars or something for this adventure to be concluded.

I suppose it depends on whether you think of the setup as "the crew goes to fetch books so they can sell them, will they make money?" or "the crew goes to the Silent World to see what's going on there, will they get back alive?" Presuming nothing happens to the ship enroute, the answer to the second way of phrasing it now seems pretty clear. The collecting-books-for-money was indeed part of the intention; but it always seemed to me to be secondary.

I wonder, though, whether there's going to be something in the books that they brought back that they haven't even noticed as important, but that's going to spark the second expedition -- not even the records they collected knowing they might have information about the failed "cure" that caused the ghosts, but maybe somebody's diary or record book they picked up in a pile of other books and haven't read yet, but which turns out to have really useful but incomplete information?