Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392325 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3165 on: August 13, 2018, 01:15:16 AM »
That is the question, isn't it?  This is one of those wordless pages that Minna does quite well. 
The stillness of the look they exchange gets me right in the feels.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

silverceleb

• Tumblr
  • haltiamieli
  • Preferred pronouns: hän/se | they
« Reply #3166 on: August 13, 2018, 04:30:21 AM »
I'm crawling out of my hiding place to tell you that I absolutely love todays page and will forever be a huge fan of Onni&Lalli dynamics ♡

Finnish mages looking at each other dramatically while remining silent has to be a Thing, or maybe it's just a Hotakainen mage Thing. Well anyway it gets me every time ;;;
Speaks from best -> worst: :finland: | :uk: :usa: | :sweden: | :france: | :china:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3167 on: August 13, 2018, 08:40:46 AM »
I don't think Lalli's got much choice about being silent. I don't think he's got any metaphorical air in his lungs to talk with.

Maybe he will by the next page, though! -- or maybe next page we'll be back to Emil. Minna does love to leave us hanging.

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #3168 on: August 13, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »
I thought Lalli was unconscious, no?
thorny, I'm thinking Onni saw the bubbles first and then the Swan appeared as he was flying to the spot

Still, the page is great, as has already been said many times. I've spent a lot of time looking at it while listening to Cynic, and I think the first 50 seconds of "True Hallucination Speak" fit right in. Probably because I tend to associate things with something completely different and irrelevant, but nevertheless
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

thorny

« Reply #3169 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:03 PM »
I thought Lalli was unconscious, no?

I don't think at that point; his eyes are open, and he looks, at least to me, like he's focusing.

I think he may well be unconscious on the next page, though. I wonder whether that explains his relative size next to Onni in the last couple of panels?

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3170 on: August 14, 2018, 02:35:38 AM »
I think it would be both narratively appropriate and funny to have Onni be in such a rush that he lands with Lalli in the first safe area he spots, without checking whose it is, and it turning out to be Reynir's safe area. This way, Reynir would be quickly made aware of Lalli's survival and we would have Onni "breaking into" Reynir's space for once.

Concerning the difference in relative sizes, I think the two last panels may be Onni's equivalent of doing what Lalli did on this page, except that he can make the animal-shaped aura much bigger than his physical body.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 02:57:25 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3171 on: August 14, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »
I think it would be both narratively appropriate and funny to have Onni be in such a rush that he lands with Lalli in the first safe area he spots, without checking whose it is, and it turning out to be Reynir's safe area. This way, Reynir would be quickly made aware of Lalli's survival and we would have Onni "breaking into" Reynir's space for once.
That would be so, so funny. Poor Reynir would be so confused, though. “I thought you were mad at me...?”
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3172 on: August 14, 2018, 04:15:22 PM »
That would be so, so funny. Poor Reynir would be so confused, though. “I thought you were mad at me...?”
"I AM!! DON'T THEY TEACH YOU HOW TO PUT UP %&§#!! PROPER RUNWAY LIGHTS IN ICELAND!?!?!"
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3173 on: August 14, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »
I was just assuming a sort of cartoon-physics visual Doppler effect, where the part that close to you and moving closer at an alarmingly fast rate is drawn much bigger than the tail end of the item.  Picture Wile E. Coyote falling off a cliff, where his chagrined face is still at cliff level long after the rest of him plummets - now rotate the view so you're below him and he's falling toward you. 

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

thorny

« Reply #3174 on: August 19, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »
Hmmm. Wonder why he didn't ask if Onni could help?

Also wondering whether Onni will now go yelling for Reynir. Though it would help if Lalli had at least told him the last point he recognized on the map.

-- there's an owl calling outside my window right now, I think; though I suspect it's the wrong kind of owl.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3175 on: August 19, 2018, 10:49:58 PM »
Hmmm. Wonder why he didn't ask if Onni could help?

Also wondering whether Onni will now go yelling for Reynir. Though it would help if Lalli had at least told him the last point he recognized on the map.

-- there's an owl calling outside my window right now, I think; though I suspect it's the wrong kind of owl.

70s songs - 'there's a hoot-owl howlin' by my window now, for six nights in a row.  She's comin' for me I know, and on Sleipnope we're both gonna go.'  Or not.  In that instance, they're *all* wrong owls.

keitto-kettu

• Tumblr
« Reply #3176 on: August 20, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »
I'm gonna be hopeful here and assume that with no language flags on Emil's dialogue in the recent page, Lalli and Emil might've been able to gain the ability to understand their respective languages. But it's nevertheless great to see Lalli awake!
:usa: - native
(colombian) :spain: - second language
:sweden: :japan: - trying to learn

beergood

« Reply #3177 on: August 21, 2018, 05:01:28 AM »
I posted this in the comment thread:

Plot twist: The Swan of Tuonela is still so shook up from its traffic incident earlier that it can't do its job, meaning Lalli is effectively immortal for a few hours.

Have now spent a few hours imagining Friday's cliffhanger ending with Lalli getting chomped in the jugular by a Notoro, and then Monday's page like:

Panel 1: Lalli and all the Notorii look up at the sky in anticipation
Panel 2: The Swan and Onni standing at the side of the dream lake arguing and passive-aggressively exchanging insurance information, while a traffic cop tries to figure out who to write the ticket to
Panel 3: Lalli grinning, pulling out a puukko and jumping right back into the fray of Notorii, who are powerless against him
Native: :sweden:
Pretty much fluent: :uk:
Getting along in: :germany:
Can ask for directions in: :spain:
Can order up to three beers in: :finland:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #3178 on: August 21, 2018, 06:19:15 AM »
I think that the missing flag is just because Minna forgot to add it.
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #3179 on: August 21, 2018, 01:43:39 PM »
Maybe the missing flag is to keep us on our toes, like the Swedish flag when Lalli first entered Emil's dreamspace!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.