Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392313 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3105 on: June 04, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »
Lalli seems to think that the anti-sun cover is something it grows, not something it builds.

Lalli presumably knows more about it than I do.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3106 on: June 08, 2018, 06:14:42 AM »
I just had a thought about the dusklings. Lalli mentioned that their hide only offers partial protection from light. This could mean that they are exposed to very small doses of sunlight on a regular basis. I'm thinking along the lines of not enough to make them retreat back to shelter, but still enough to have some kind of effect, like some kind of "getting a sunburn on an overcast day" phenomenon.
Brief exposure to sunlight was enough for a dog's mind to be restored to an extent in Chapter 7. I'm wondering if the regular partial exposure to sunlight had a more gradually acting version of this on the dusklings, and they have white speechbubbles because they accidentally got rid of whatever the Rash does to the mind over time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:17:45 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3107 on: June 08, 2018, 07:53:15 AM »
I just had a thought about the dusklings. Lalli mentioned that their hide only offers partial protection from light. This could mean that they are exposed to very small doses of sunlight on a regular basis. I'm thinking along the lines of not enough to make them retreat back to shelter, but still enough to have some kind of effect, like some kind of "getting a suburn on an overcast day" phenomenon.
Brief exposure to sunlight was enough for a dog's mind to be restored to an extent in Chapter 7. I'm wondering if the regular partial exposure to sunlight had a more gradually acting version of this on the dusklings, and they have white speechbubbles because they accidentally got rid of whatever the Rash does to the mind over time.
Hm… sounds plausible. I like it!
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Zami

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3108 on: June 08, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »
I just had a thought about the dusklings. Lalli mentioned that their hide only offers partial protection from light. This could mean that they are exposed to very small doses of sunlight on a regular basis. I'm thinking along the lines of not enough to make them retreat back to shelter, but still enough to have some kind of effect, like some kind of "getting a sunburn on an overcast day" phenomenon.
Pastor Anne wasn't being hurt by sunlight too if I remember correctly. Maybe the more corrupted by the Rash the mind is, the less resistant it is to sunlight? The dusklings seem pretty intelligent, with their sun covers, forming packs and ability to recognize danger.
I was also thinking... given how exposition to the sunlight for an hour can replace the usual decontamination process - it all seems to be connected to the fact that sunlight weakens the Rash. What if when it takes over completely, it makes the person "think" that the sunlight hurts? Kind of like the parasites that alter their hosts' behavior patterns, making insects climb up to exposed places so the parasites can infect birds, or making insects drown in the water so the parasite can reproduce, etc etc
~polish potato~
Fluent: :poland: :uk:
Kinda: :france: :japan: :germany:
What: :russia: :finland:

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #3109 on: June 09, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »
Pastor Anne wasn't being hurt by sunlight too if I remember correctly. Maybe the more corrupted by the Rash the mind is, the less resistant it is to sunlight? The dusklings seem pretty intelligent, with their sun covers, forming packs and ability to recognize danger.
I was also thinking... given how exposition to the sunlight for an hour can replace the usual decontamination process - it all seems to be connected to the fact that sunlight weakens the Rash. What if when it takes over completely, it makes the person "think" that the sunlight hurts? Kind of like the parasites that alter their hosts' behavior patterns, making insects climb up to exposed places so the parasites can infect birds, or making insects drown in the water so the parasite can reproduce, etc etc

That's a very good point you got there!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3110 on: June 09, 2018, 05:54:44 PM »

I really like this line of thought - it fits.

This too is quite plausible.   :mikkel:
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #3111 on: June 09, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
Ah, like zombie ant fungus and spider nematodes?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #3112 on: June 10, 2018, 06:15:07 AM »

I really like this train of thought!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Zami

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3113 on: June 10, 2018, 09:17:28 AM »
Ah, like zombie ant fungus and spider nematodes?
Yes, exactly! I mean, it might be a bit too far-fetched, but these creatures are so fascinating, it would be cool to see something similar in the comic.
~polish potato~

thorny

« Reply #3114 on: June 11, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
All kinds of interesting thoughts!

-- "I can't do any of that" -- he could, of course, if he abandoned Lalli's body.

I don't think the thought even enters his head. Which says something about Emil.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #3115 on: June 11, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »
All kinds of interesting thoughts!

-- "I can't do any of that" -- he could, of course, if he abandoned Lalli's body.

I don't think the thought even enters his head. Which says something about Emil.

I agree that he wouldn't ever consider leaving Lalli behind, but I'm also pretty sure Emil physically can't run until sunrise, either :p

thorny

« Reply #3116 on: June 11, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »
Probably not, especially in the shape he's in now; and he can't run as fast as Lalli usually can, either.

But he most likely wouldn't have to. He'd only have to outrun a lot of shortlegged things that until dark are going to be slowed by having to work their way around through shaded spots. An alternate walk/jog after a first burst of run might well be enough. They may be faster than they look; but he'd sure have a better chance of pulling it off if he didn't have to also drag or carry Lalli.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3117 on: June 11, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »
(Parenthetically, I like your new avatar, Sc0ut - I agree that this chapter's dappled sunlight suits Emil beautifully.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Zami

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3118 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:37 AM »
Now I'm really worried that because of Notoros our duo won't be able to catch up. Not only it will take extra time to find the right place and effort to bunker up, but also extra exhaustion for Emil. Not sure if he will be able to rest up well with a horde of dusklings running around.
~polish potato~

thorny

« Reply #3119 on: June 20, 2018, 09:05:10 PM »
Akkk!

What a place for a chapter break!