Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392304 times)

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2820 on: October 25, 2017, 08:54:58 PM »
Lalli: *wakes up in a dream only to go back to sleep in said dream*
Me: same
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2821 on: October 25, 2017, 11:18:32 PM »
She may be the family nanny, or something of the sort.

Hah!

-- and Lalli, who's asleep, is going to go to sleep in his dream? I wonder whether that'll make him wake up? -- I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting him to start in on all of that food. I don't suppose it would sustain him or even let him wake up feeling full, but at least he could taste it.

And if he's going to sleep, he's missing a chance to actually communicate with Emil!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2822 on: October 26, 2017, 02:41:40 AM »
I've had a funny thought all week. Until I get proven wrong (or right, who knows?) I'm imagining that the nanny is Emil's fylgia that's disguising itself both due to watching over an atheist and being something that would be really out of place in a fancy interior.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2823 on: October 26, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
Hah!

-- and Lalli, who's asleep, is going to go to sleep in his dream? I wonder whether that'll make him wake up? -- I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting him to start in on all of that food. I don't suppose it would sustain him or even let him wake up feeling full, but at least he could taste it.

...And Lalli, who's asleep, go to sleep in his dream, and in his dream he dreamed that he is dreadming and fell asleep, and while he is dreaming that he is dreaming that he is asleep and he fell asleep once more...

Emil: Somebody, please, STOP THIS INFINITELY REPEATING CYCLE!!!

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2824 on: October 27, 2017, 04:27:18 AM »
So regarding the current dream shenanigans I've put together a few "rules" that may or may not apply to magery. Kinda depends on the course the story takes. Most terminology is what I've seen to be commonly used (however some stuff I haven't seen a  term for yet in the fandom and made up on the spot for this post.)

Mages don't dream, when they rest their minds instead enter an altered reality that is mostly safe called a haven.

Mage Havens seem to be static and don't change.

Mage Havens are in turn interconnected through a series of "rivers, ponds and streams" called the dreamscape.

The dreamscape is not static, and much like a river or bayou, will chane and reshape itself on its own.

The rules of the dreamscape, and the ability to traverse it depends on the mage and their type of magic it seems. (EG Lalli can't walk across the magescape rivers unless he's following in the wake of Reynir)

Non mage dreams do seem to be connected to the dreamscape, but are deeper into the "ether" so to speak and are probably more fluid due to the nature of non-mages dreams shifting and changing.

Mages can enter the dreams of non-mages but due to how deep into the ether they have to go to do this, it's probably dangerous.

Non-mages may or may not be able to enter the dreamscape, and havens of mages (it'll depend on where Minna takes the story I guess.)

I think I hit on the important stuff, anyone seeing any glaring ommisions or problems with these "rules" or terminology?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2825 on: October 27, 2017, 06:13:05 AM »
I've had a funny thought all week. Until I get proven wrong (or right, who knows?) I'm imagining that the nanny is Emil's fylgia that's disguising itself both due to watching over an atheist and being something that would be really out of place in a fancy interior.

That's a cool idea :)

Non mage dreams do seem to be connected to the dreamscape, but are deeper into the "ether" so to speak and are probably more fluid due to the nature of non-mages dreams shifting and changing.

I agree to pretty much everything, but the quoted part seems most interesting and hard to decipher to me. Non-mage dreams are obviously less accessible for some reason, because we didn't see Lalli and Reynir getting into their team mates' dreams at all previous to this. I wonder what makes it different now. Obviously Lalli was displaced from his haven and ended up there without meaning to, but we've seen him have traumatic dreamworld experiences which did not result in this, even as Emil and others slept nearby. I wonder if we'll ever get an explanation at all :)

Since we're discussing magic: Isn't it weird that with Reynir's ability for instant communication over large distances between mages, nobody has noticed and exploited this way overpowered feature of Icelandic magic? You'd think Icelandic mages would be standard for each expedition or military action, because they're literally better than radio, especially when it comes to getting help in an emergency. But nobody in the team even hints at this being the case. Unless Reynir is actually unusual even among Icelandic mages.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2826 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:32 AM »
Non-mage dreams are obviously less accessible for some reason, because we didn't see Lalli and Reynir getting into their team mates' dreams at all previous to this. I wonder what makes it different now.

I'm still going with "Emil's voice guided his soul there" because it looked like it kind of reached Lalli when we saw him fall back on page 779!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2827 on: October 27, 2017, 06:47:05 AM »
Mages don't dream, when they rest their minds instead enter an altered reality that is mostly safe called a haven.

Slight correction: Lalli had a dream-dream back at the beginning of Chapter 11, with his wish fulfillment fantasy.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2828 on: October 27, 2017, 06:57:49 AM »
I'm still going with "Emil's voice guided his soul there" because it looked like it kind of reached Lalli when we saw him fall back on page 779!

Ooh good point. I hadn't made the connection before. Though it seems obvious now :D

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2829 on: October 27, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
Since we're discussing magic: Isn't it weird that with Reynir's ability for instant communication over large distances between mages, nobody has noticed and exploited this way overpowered feature of Icelandic magic? You'd think Icelandic mages would be standard for each expedition or military action, because they're literally better than radio, especially when it comes to getting help in an emergency. But nobody in the team even hints at this being the case. Unless Reynir is actually unusual even among Icelandic mages.

It's possible that Icelandic Mages can only gatecrash the havens of Finnish Mages, and since there's not much interaction between practitioners of the two crafts there's not a lot of situations where the ability is useful.

Or possibly, properly trained Icelandic Mages are discouraged or outright prohibited from doing it for some reason, such as it being extremely dangerous. Reynir not having had the benefit of such training doesn't know any better.

Or maybe it only works when the Icelandic Mage is in close physical proximity to the Finnish Mage, allowing them to find their haven. If this is the case Reynir is only able to talk to Onni by piggybacking on the strong relationship between him and Lalli. Setting up a communication network using the same principle would be pretty difficult given the numbers of Mages available - not to mention two entire nations that would think the idea literally insane.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2830 on: October 27, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »

But for what reason? Radio seems to be much more reliable... Moreover, it seems that the distanse is actually matter; the magic may also be subjected to inverse square law...

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2831 on: October 27, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
But for what reason? Radio seems to be much more reliable... Moreover, it seems that the distanse is actually matter; the magic may also be subjected to inverse square law...

If your mage has to be asleep to go communicate that makes it hard to do the "WE NEED THIS INFORMATION RIGHT NOW" part of radio
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2832 on: October 27, 2017, 01:07:32 PM »

For situations like this: http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=633 And the radio is not that reliable, it's vulnerable to both spirit interference and technical issues (remember it completely died before they abandoned the tank?). And anyway, having two ways of communication instead of one seems wise.

If your mage has to be asleep to go communicate that makes it hard to do the "WE NEED THIS INFORMATION RIGHT NOW" part of radio

Actually, Reynir can communicate to Onni even when awake: http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=478

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2833 on: October 27, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
One of my *hum* story interpretation clashes with JoB had a closely related subject matter. I was wondering if the boat was soon going to be close enough for any mages riding it to reach the crew's mages. If I remember correctly, JoB pointed out that Reynir hadn't run into other mages on the way to Onni's place in Chapter 7 and took it to mean that some kind of connection was needed for mage-to-mage contact (the connection being having seen Onni's photo in Reynir's case). If he's right, that could be an extra complication for setting up an official mage-to-mage communication system.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2834 on: October 27, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
For situations like this: http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=633 And the radio is not that reliable, it's vulnerable to both spirit interference and technical issues (remember it completely died before they abandoned the tank?). And anyway, having two ways of communication instead of one seems wise.

Er, mages are even less reliable; they could talk only to other mages, they need either be asleep or tremendous concentration, and they seems to be unable to rely anything more than short messages in "hyperconcentration" regime.

Make more sence to just place automatic radio relay stations in Silent World, to retranslate communications.