Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392278 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2775 on: October 15, 2017, 09:45:14 PM »
Sounds good, Wavewright. I'd like it if they have birds.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2776 on: October 15, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »
Sounds good, Wavewright. I'd like it if they have birds.
Aye, but are the birds expected to stick to their own Path? 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #2777 on: October 15, 2017, 11:27:30 PM »
Not those birds! I was thinking more of the sort of small wild birds that inhabit those swampy forests in nature.

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2778 on: October 16, 2017, 01:04:33 AM »
I haven't been in this thread for far too long!

Regarding what Mr Plinkett had to say some pages back...
Spoiler: Spoilered to avoid reopening old wounds  • show

One point that I didn't see anyone raise is that it's only been 24 hours in comic time since Tuuri drowned. Everyone is likely still in shock. When some more time has passed we may see other reactions.

Are Pastor A and Sleipnope the same entity? Personally I don't think so, but it would be an interesting twist if they turned out to be different sides of the same personality. Pastor A (maybe a chaplain at the Fort?) is the human, compassionate side, and Sleipnope (at its core) is a manifestation of her suppressed grief and rage at what happened with the rash and at being stuck in limbo for 90 years. Reuniting them into a whole being would solve the situation by allowing her to move on to the afterlife.

...I pretty much just described the plot of The Dark Crystal didn't I? :'D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2779 on: October 16, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »

One point that I didn't see anyone raise is that it's only been 24 hours in comic time since Tuuri drowned. Everyone is likely still in shock. When some more time has passed we may see other reactions.

Are Pastor A and Sleipnope the same entity? Personally I don't think so, but it would be an interesting twist if they turned out to be different sides of the same personality. Pastor A (maybe a chaplain at the Fort?) is the human, compassionate side, and Sleipnope (at its core) is a manifestation of her suppressed grief and rage at what happened with the rash and at being stuck in limbo for 90 years. Reuniting them into a whole being would solve the situation by allowing her to move on to the afterlife.

"...By Reynir's hands braid, or else by none..."

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2780 on: October 16, 2017, 01:28:21 AM »

Possible, but not likely. Pastor A seems to be the single entity with unique personality. Sleipnope is the geshtalt of several personalities with some sort of collective mind, that worked on compromises (remember it's "side" voices) between several points of view. Not much similarities here. And, Sleipnope obviously have "something" against either Reynit or Lalli, while Pastor A did not recognise Reynir at all.

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #2781 on: October 16, 2017, 02:17:14 AM »
Possible, but not likely. Pastor A seems to be the single entity with unique personality. Sleipnope is the geshtalt of several personalities with some sort of collective mind, that worked on compromises (remember it's "side" voices) between several points of view. Not much similarities here. And, Sleipnope obviously have "something" against either Reynit or Lalli, while Pastor A did not recognise Reynir at all.

I assume in this scenario that 'Dark' A is the entity at the heart of Sleipnope, commanding all the rest of the absorbed souls, and that there's no communication between Dark A and Light A, the spirit that Reynir and Onni encountered.

But yes, I agree it's very unlikely.

"...By Reynir's hands braid, or else by none..."

Now I want Reynir to meet a female Reynir who can fly and has a pet... hang on a second! Is the blorptroll the SSSS universe version of Fizzgig!?  XoX

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2782 on: October 16, 2017, 02:20:53 AM »
Now I want Reynir to meet a female Reynir who can fly and has a pet... hang on a second! Is the blorptroll the SSSS universe version of Fizzgig!?  XoX
No; Kitty is.

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2783 on: October 16, 2017, 03:01:27 AM »
I assume in this scenario that 'Dark' A is the entity at the heart of Sleipnope, commanding all the rest of the absorbed souls, and that there's no communication between Dark A and Light A, the spirit that Reynir and Onni encountered.

Interesting theory, albeit I'm not sure that Sleipnope have a distinct "central" personality. I always assumed that it is sort "controlled by common agreement", I.e. its actions are the approximation of several personalities similar opinions.

This theory required one assumption; that Dark A and Light A became separated before the event after which Dark A (aka murderghosts) started to dislike Lalli and/or Reynir. Light A obviously doesnt even know who Reynkr are.

Róisín

« Reply #2784 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:24 AM »
Whereas it comes across to me as a dominant personality ruling the remnants of the minds of whatever it has absorbed. Which is sort of my headcanon for giants anyway.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2785 on: October 16, 2017, 03:59:33 AM »

Yes, it has been posited that we are only 1-3 days since the Tank caught fire and the day just went downhill from there. 
That's an interesting theory about Pastor A and a division in her personality.  However, Sleipnope is composed of entities that originated in Copenhagen and followed them there, while Pastor A's arc began on the next island over. 
I must disagree, Dilandu, I believe that a central personality is at Sleipnope's heart, one that recognised the opportunity that the sjødraug and tethered horse presented.  What I can't figure out is the impetus that shoved that personality out of the fort in the first place.  It's not just Mikkel's presence, because a truly malevolent spirit that *could* leave the confines, *would.*  Long since.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #2786 on: October 16, 2017, 04:53:02 AM »
This theory required one assumption; that Dark A and Light A became separated before the event after which Dark A (aka murderghosts) started to dislike Lalli and/or Reynir. Light A obviously doesnt even know who Reynkr are.

Good point. I suppose Pastor A was somehow able to hold on to her personality after death (a latent mage? In Year 0?) in a way the rest of the murder-ghosts-to-be couldn't, and then was able to confine/banish her dark thoughts and anger into what broke away and became the Sleipnope core.

Yes, it has been posited that we are only 1-3 days since the Tank caught fire and the day just went downhill from there.

My calculations for the episode guide (which I need to update!) concur. (I'll probably edit in the exact timings when I get home).

That's an interesting theory about Pastor A and a division in her personality.  However, Sleipnope is composed of entities that originated in Copenhagen and followed them there, while Pastor A's arc began on the next island over.

Oh certainly. It's just wild theorising :)

I must disagree, Dilandu, I believe that a central personality is at Sleipnope's heart, one that recognised the opportunity that the sjødraug and tethered horse presented.  What I can't figure out is the impetus that shoved that personality out of the fort in the first place.  It's not just Mikkel's presence, because a truly malevolent spirit that *could* leave the confines, *would.*  Long since.

I wonder if it's case of the Murder Ghosts kind of being "asleep" in a way. Drifting around in their building for decades forgetting that they were ever human. And then actual humans turn up, wake them up and remind them of everything they've lost. Cue pointing almost a  century of insane, bottled up rage and jealousy at the team.

Maybe... Time will tell!

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2787 on: October 16, 2017, 05:46:51 AM »
.  It's not just Mikkel's presence, because a truly malevolent spirit that *could* leave the confines, *would.*  Long since.

Agreed. Whatever was the reason, it is something more than just "human here... let's kill human!".  Sleipnope was shown to be rational. Not completely, but capable of thinking and making conclusions, more or less logical. The theory "Mikkel disturbed their resting place and thats why ghosts started to chase him" just didn't feel right. Sleipnope seems to be rational enough to understood that all this intrusion was just incidental and no harm was meant. And, Mikkel wasn't even the first target of their attack; first was Sigrun, who never ever were near fort, and ghosts never actually meet her.

So, there must be some deeper, more important reason, why a bunch of ghosts started to follow the expedition. It took a lot of efforts for them, after all; after failed attack, Sleipnope looked pretty miserable... actually looked harmed and suffering.

So, we have the rational entity, that considered destruction of expedition important enough to take the risks and suffer for that. And the Sleipnope taunts to Lalli/Reynir seems to be... aimed.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2788 on: October 16, 2017, 05:56:35 AM »
So, we have the rational entity, that considered destruction of expedition important enough to take the risks and suffer for that.

I'm not sure if the trolls' real, conscious intention is to harm and destroy humans. I've had doubts about it ever since we saw the train giant say "help me" to the very humans it attacked. I think aggression is simply the only interaction they're capable of - they actually seek help but whatever corrupted their bodies also corrupts their actions into violence. That's my headcanon, anyway.

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2789 on: October 16, 2017, 06:18:20 AM »
I'm not sure if the trolls' real, conscious intention is to harm and destroy humans. I've had doubts about it ever since we saw the train giant say "help me" to the very humans it attacked. I think aggression is simply the only interaction they're capable of - they actually seek help but whatever corrupted their bodies also corrupts their actions into violence. That's my headcanon, anyway.

Well, in some cases troll reaction could be explained by simple hunger - like toothy troll that attacked Emil. Or, nest protection.

In some cases, the origin of reaction is not clear. For example, jelly-brain trolls. Its unclear, would they attack the expedition if cat-tank would NOT crash into their nest and kill one of them. Even the completely peaceful creatures would probably consider such action as hostile.

Sjødraug was even stated in official documents to be relatively passive, non-hostile creature, and its agressive reaction also may be explained by harm that expedition inflicted.

But the leaftroll was clearly hostile. It doesn't just attacked; it tracked expedition for a long distance, despite the fact, that it was alone and too small to have realistic chances of sucsess. Injured, it tried to retreat, whic indicated not completely automatic hostility (for example, worker bee would protect the hive despite any i njures). And the giant that attacked Emil and Lalli was clearly hostile; the attack was unprovoked, took a lot of efforts just to move out of the building, and could not be explained just by hunting (too many efforts for just two small humans)