Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392271 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2685 on: September 16, 2017, 05:03:29 AM »
They would have every reason to make breathing masks less of a burden, because there would now be people wearing them almost 24/7.
How do you come to that latter statement? The people who have to leave the cleansed areas get recruited out of the immune, if at all possible, and given the limited distance and time the Rash can travel (and infect) outside a host body, (known) non-immune walk around their homes sans mask all the time. It's the special circumstances of this expedition that has put two non-immune persons into Rash's larder (and another onto the trip to Mora).

To return to the initial question: Gas mask filters (and the like) are consumables. The Quartet sent out an underfunded expedition with one non-immune and (so we hope) an appropriate amount of filters for that. Then the expedition gained another non-immune person and an extended itinerary and now the mobile cleanroom is lost as well. It wouldn't be surprising if Tuuri and Reynir had to strictly ration their mask time to the most clearly and imminently dangerous situations and still had to hope to find more filters somewhere along the way.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2686 on: September 16, 2017, 05:40:28 AM »
JoB, I believe you are correct.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2687 on: September 16, 2017, 06:58:02 AM »
JoB's good points aside, there's also the fact that Minna often forgets about the masks and adds them in after people comment on it. So Reynir's mask missing may or may not be intentional, or mean something.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2688 on: September 16, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »
How do you come to that latter statement? The people who have to leave the cleansed areas get recruited out of the immune, if at all possible, and given the limited distance and time the Rash can travel (and infect) outside a host body, (known) non-immune walk around their homes sans mask all the time. It's the special circumstances of this expedition that has put two non-immune persons into Rash's larder (and another onto the trip to Mora).

First, if you give a look at the end of the previous page, where the discussion of Reynir not wearing a mask actually started, I pointed out it wasn't the first time Reynir or Tuuri were outside without their masks and the possible distance factor before anyone else did (which means that yes, I understood that Onni and Tuuri's old home was far from danger enough to not require masks for non-immunes); I know I frequently miss important stuff, but this I had actually noticed.
As for the time span non-immunes may need to wear masks, almost 24/7 was probably an exaggeration on my part. However, I don't entirely agree that this expedition has special circumstances. On one hand, I do agree that Tuuri and Reynir were probably up to very recently sharing a limited resource that had just barely been planned for Tuuri, and that it needed to be rationed. On the other, I'd be surprised if Tuuri was the first non-immune to be out in the Silent World on the long term. If anything, I'll point out that she and Reynir are being kept safe according to a pre-existing protocol and that the stingy quartet got their hands on a second-hand vehicle that contained decontamination necessities.

EDIT: Remembered something else later: Chapter 10 has a mention of a rule against leaving non-immune people in the field without an immune for protection, which Tuuri needs to remind Mikkel about.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:30:26 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

JoB

« Reply #2689 on: September 17, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
On the other, I'd be surprised if Tuuri was the first non-immune to be out in the Silent World on the long term. If anything, I'll point out that she and Reynir are being kept safe according to a pre-existing protocol and that the stingy quartet got their hands on a second-hand vehicle that contained decontamination necessities.
EDIT: Remembered something else later: Chapter 10 has a mention of a rule against leaving non-immune people in the field without an immune for protection, which Tuuri needs to remind Mikkel about.
Well, we've been shown what situations the existing protocols primarily apply to, haven't we? Non-immunes traveling from one safe place to another, being subjected to decon "just in case" as they enter Outer Mora, emergency mask handout when the Dalahästen got torn open. The Danish Reclamation Effort of Y80 (that the cat-tank likely was a part of) was an effort sufficiently close to "all in" that it killed their desire to have another try for ten years straight. Tuuris flashback that Finnish villages are being held safe with "simple measures", yet can occasionally be overrun - by grossling attacks, obviously - and entirely annihilated. And that rule about non-immunes needing an immune guard "in the field" at all times first and foremost proves that immunes are of severely limited use in a truly long term presence in the Silent World.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #2690 on: September 23, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »
so... folks... taking bets on whether the house emil found is infested.

i was going to say it was a bit of good fortune that they found a place that seemed to be in good shape, but when i look back at page 312... http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=312

their odds would have been better if he found a "crap building" i think  :-\
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2691 on: September 24, 2017, 10:25:09 AM »
so... folks... taking bets on whether the house emil found is infested.

i was going to say it was a bit of good fortune that they found a place that seemed to be in good shape, but when i look back at page 312... http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=312

their odds would have been better if he found a "crap building" i think  :-\

Well, it's always possible that even if the house is infested, it could be infested by something relatively small and harmless... or even not outright hostile, like Cthulhund...

JoB

« Reply #2692 on: September 24, 2017, 02:11:31 PM »
Well, it's always possible that even if the house is infested, it could be infested by something relatively small and harmless...
Or even smaller and not quite as harmless ...

Hukka

• Super-Newbie
  • **ruhig bitte**
« Reply #2693 on: September 24, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »
I must say I am quite impressed with Emil; setting up the chairs to keep the heat focused on Lalli. I do worry that 90+ year old fabric may be more flammable than the fuel he uses to start his fires with!
Fluent :usa: :germany:
Proficient :mexico:
Learning :finland:

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2694 on: September 24, 2017, 11:59:27 PM »
I must say I am quite impressed with Emil; setting up the chairs to keep the heat focused on Lalli. I do worry that 90+ year old fabric may be more flammable than the fuel he uses to start his fires with!

Doubt that... not in relatively wet conditions.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2695 on: September 25, 2017, 01:35:28 AM »
With each passing page the more and more I hope sleipnope kills these 5 characters.[except for Sigrun,  she cool]

I'm dead serious. TPK; rocks fall, everyone dies.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:39:22 AM by MR_PLINKETT »

Dilandu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2696 on: September 25, 2017, 02:48:30 AM »

With each passing page the more and more I hope sleipnope kills these 5 characters.[except for Sigrun,  she cool]

The main irony of the whole Sleipnope situation that it is probably the first known Rush entity, which are at least partially willing to communicate... and the only one who could understood it is Lalli. Whom have enormous communication problems himself.

I'm not suggesting that the whole conflict may be resolved over the nice cup of tea, but Sleipnope main voice seems at least sane enough to make observations and logical conclusions. So, it may probably at least explain, why exactly it didn't like the expedition so much, that it is willing to trail them for considerable distance and put considerable resources against them (it seems that the controllig ghosts aren't exacly have infinite reserves...)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:22:06 AM by Dilandu »

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2697 on: September 25, 2017, 06:06:42 AM »

He also placed Lalli's head so close to the stove/fireplace that he can easily get burned if he moves, or have sparks and burning wood fall in his hair... it's actually really uncomfortable to look at for me. Oh well, can't have them all.

Why?

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2698 on: September 25, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
Why?

I can't take it anymore

Why?

You wanna know why I hope everyone but sigrun dies?

Because they all deserve to die.

They accepted a suicide mission to start with.  They got themselves into deeper s*** by going after the serum. And on top of all that even when they were faced with fixing their issues and problems AFTER A CHARACTER COMMITTED SUICIDE? They go right back to goofie antics. No introspection, no questions about 'why are we f***ing up right now', no deeper searching even after a team mate dies. No one even mentioned tuuris name. No one talked about what happened. No one. F***ING NO ONE. NOT EVEN CARING EMIL LOOKS SAD. The only one i'd expect to not be to shaken up is sigrun because ya know she's the most experienced.  But she's being written as if this has never happened before and mikkel is suddenly 'in charge'. It's like minna forgot the characterization behind them.

It's like watching a gaggle of idiots s*** their pants and then we go 'this is a nice story.'

But that's not my real problem right now, do you wanna know my real problem with ssss right now?I just did a reread, and I'll list some things that I saw

1.The cure is implied to cause brain death.
2.The rash has a metaphysical element to it
3.The info page talking about infection and how it affects an individual
4.Magical healing on the soul via another info page

I could see it all coming together. Hints being dropped. The climax would be at the church where tuuri would live in the face of impossible odds, the crew would pull through against everything they had been placed against. Reynir would finally prove himself as being an incredible mage. Because that's what this story is about a rag tag group of idiots overcoming the impossible. Overcoming the incredible weight of the world against them.

But then, the nine page update happened. And it stopped making any sense.

And I've never felt so disappointed and insulted. The serum line that minna had written so much about, you know that thing that got them into this mess to begin with? GONE. Tuuri going through a deep introspection and realizing she was wrong? GONE. Any kind of team work to overcome this? f***ING TRASHED LMAO. Go back and reread that 9 page update and come back to me. Tell me that has some emotional impact. It was just a quick 'tuuris infected, oh whoops tuuris dead lul.'

We are literally reading a story about a group of idiots who did something stupid and aren't confronting their mistakes.

It's like when you tell someone 'don't do that' then they do it and were supposed to feel bad for them? I'm supposed to feel bad for these characters now who f***ed up and aren't admitting it? Then yes, they deserve death. They all deserve to die in pain and agony.

And the worst part?I have to sit here quietly because most of you all will go 'oh they are deeply flawed thats all!'You know? That same sad minnion response when confronted with a legitimate criticism about the comic? You know the one everyone always give and for some reason dozens of people agree with on disqus?!?!?!?! And I'm supposed to sit here and just be quiet?

I feel as if minna passed us all cards and y'all are to busy making puns or posting fluff to look at the cards minna has passed and realize they don't make any sense anymore.

f*** me, what is there left to say anymore?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:40:36 PM by MR_PLINKETT »

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2699 on: September 25, 2017, 07:25:15 PM »
I should be working on a CHEM lab report. Instead I find this. Yay for internet rage.

Why?

You wanna know why I hope everyone but sigrun dies?

Because they all deserve to die.

What the--

They go right back to goofie antics. No introspection, no questions about 'why are we f***ing up right now', no deeper searching even after a team mate dies. No one even mentioned tuuris name. No one talked about what happened. No one. F***ING NO ONE. NOT EVEN CARING EMIL LOOKS SAD.

Do not assume the immediate reaction of anyone after someone they know committed suicide is 'how are things going wrong'. People are not automatons, and refusing to display grief is a common reaction.

It's like watching a gaggle of idiots s*** their pants and then we go 'this is a nice story.'

I'm sorry you feel that way.

But that's not my real problem right now, do you wanna know my real problem with ssss right now?I just did a reread, and I'll list some things that I saw

1.The cure is implied to cause brain death.
2.The rash has a metaphysical element to it
3.The info page talking about infection and how it affects an individual
4.Magical healing on the soul via another info page

I could see it all coming together. Hints being dropped. The climax would be at the church where tuuri would live in the face of impossible odds, the crew would pull through against everything they had been placed against. Reynir would finally prove himself as being an incredible mage. Because that's what this story is about a rag tag group of idiots overcoming the impossible. Overcoming the incredible weight of the world against them.

But then, the nine page update happened. And it stopped making any sense.

Or, you might consider, it stopped following the usual story conventions. We all saw it coming because that's how things go in stories. But it doesn't have to go that way, and Minna decided on a different route than the one we all thought would happen.

Go back and reread that 9 page update and come back to me. Tell me that has some emotional impact. It was just a quick 'tuuris infected, oh whoops tuuris dead lul.'

Don't know about you, but it still retains impact for me.

It's like when you tell someone 'don't do that' then they do it and were supposed to feel bad for them? I'm supposed to feel bad for these characters now who f***ed up and aren't admitting it? Then yes, they deserve death. They all deserve to die in pain and agony.

So, in your world, people who act like most humans deserve to die horribly. Good to know.

And the worst part?I have to sit here quietly because most of you all will go 'oh they are deeply flawed thats all!'You know? That same sad minnion response when confronted with a legitimate criticism about the comic? You know the one everyone always give and for some reason dozens of people agree with on disqus?!?!?!?! And I'm supposed to sit here and just be quiet?

No, you clearly aren't, as you are posting quite loudly here.
People. aren't. perfect. They are not going to react the same way as you might. Sorry if that strains your suspension of disbelief.

f*** me, what is there left to say anymore?

Goodbye? Because you don't seem to be enjoying reading this anymore. Perhaps a clean break with the community here would be best for both parties.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.