Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392361 times)

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2670 on: September 15, 2017, 03:38:04 AM »
And I'm strangely reassured to see that the ghost horde is stalking their group. I was worried about them going after Emil and Lalli for a while, but didn't mention it because we were all worried enough about them as it was.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:48:28 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2671 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »
I don't think this is the reaction I'm supposed to have, but I couldn't help laughing at how the ghosts just neatly stacked themselves inside the van like people huddling at a bus stop to take cover from the rain  :'D It's the funniest thing I've seen in the comic in a long time.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2672 on: September 15, 2017, 07:48:15 AM »
No, it was funny. Except they are probably hiding from the light, and Reynir's rune.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2673 on: September 15, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
So last time they had soldiers, an experience mage, and help from Onni.

Today they have Reynir and Purrito.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2674 on: September 15, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
Today they have Reynir and Purrito.
And a fully loaded Mikkel.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2675 on: September 15, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
And a fully loaded Mikkel.

Not if he gets to "take care of business"
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2676 on: September 15, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
WHY IS REYNIR NOT WEARING A MASK?!
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #2677 on: September 15, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »
Both Tuuri and Reynir have been outside without their masks before without anyone batting an eye, like here. Each time I can think of, they were close to the tank and there were no gore-covered combatants nearby. I'm fuzzy on the exact context where masks can be done without, though. For instance, in Chapter 11, Reynir and Tuuri were mask-less when Reynir was giving out his paper runes, but they had to wear their masks in the shop, despite the fact that the place was considered safe enough to bring them along in the first place. Actually, they only got consistant about wearing their masks outside after Tuuri got bitten. My point is that they may be far away enough from trolls that he doesn't need to wear it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:53:24 PM by Grade E cat »

|Yucca|

« Reply #2678 on: September 15, 2017, 06:41:09 PM »
Living with a gas mask on is a real pain in the ass though, so it makes sense for Reynir to not wear it as often as it's possible. It gets real sweaty under the rubber and you can't drink or eat. Or the worst of it all: you can't blow a running nose or wipe away the sweat. The fastening bands also often press your head.

One thing is also certain, no one can hear you speak, unless you speak really loudly and even then the sound is muffled and hard to understand. We've seen both Tuuri and Reynir speak whole sentences with the mask on though, which really challenges my suspension of disbelief. Guess I just have to file it under artistic license.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:12:19 PM by |Yucca| »
I barely survived:
:chap5:  :book2:  :book3:  :book4:
:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2679 on: September 15, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
Not if he gets to "take care of business"
WHY IS REYNIR NOT WEARING A MASK?!
... because Mikkel hasn't taken care of it yet?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2680 on: September 15, 2017, 08:39:26 PM »
Living with a gas mask on is a real pain in the ass though, so it makes sense for Reynir to not wear it as often as it's possible. It gets real sweaty under the rubber and you can't drink or eat. Or the worst of it all: you can't blow a running nose or wipe away the sweat. The fastening bands also often press your head.

One thing is also certain, no one can hear you speak, unless you speak really loudly and even then the sound is muffled and hard to understand. We've seen both Tuuri and Reynir speak whole sentences with the mask on though, which really challenges my suspension of disbelief. Guess I just have to file it under artistic license.

I don't think they're using gas masks, though. I think they're just dust/mist respirators. N95 particulate respirators are what's currently recommended against viruses, as near as I can tell:
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2012/04/lab-study-supports-use-n95-respirators-flu-protection

I have some experience with those, and, while they're still somewhat of a nuisance to wear, good ones aren't sweaty unless it's really hot, and it's not particularly difficult to hear people who are speaking through one.

It looks like they may be using something a bit more heavy duty than an N95, but I doubt it's a full scale gas mask.

|Yucca|

« Reply #2681 on: September 15, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
I don't think they're using gas masks, though. I think they're just dust/mist respirators. N95 particulate respirators are what's currently recommended against viruses, as near as I can tell:
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2012/04/lab-study-supports-use-n95-respirators-flu-protection

I have some experience with those, and, while they're still somewhat of a nuisance to wear, good ones aren't sweaty unless it's really hot, and it's not particularly difficult to hear people who are speaking through one.

It looks like they may be using something a bit more heavy duty than an N95, but I doubt it's a full scale gas mask.

It's true that the masks they're using aren't full on gas masks but they're clearly not those paper masks either. There's a piece of glass (or clear plastic) in the middle being held together by a bulky (rubber?) frame. The leather (or rubber) straps are really wide, so it would definitely get sweaty underneath.

The filters they have on the masks are probably not gas filters, normally they aren't that small. But even with just dust filters, the solid construction of the masks would make the user's voice quite hard to hear, as there seems to be just a few small openings on the sides.

I've used a lot of those paper masks too, and in my experience even they're still a big nuisance in the long run. I wouldn't want to keep one of them on unless really needed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:17:43 PM by |Yucca| »
I barely survived:
:chap5:  :book2:  :book3:  :book4:
:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2682 on: September 15, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »
Not all N95 and N99's are all paper. And the things on the sides may be exhale valves, which let more air (and sound) through than they look like. But I take your point.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #2683 on: September 16, 2017, 02:35:05 AM »
Another thing reading these is making me think of is that in general, the technology that this world has managed to keep tends to be better than what we currently have. They would have every reason to make breathing masks less of a burden, because there would now be people wearing them almost 24/7. They probably are still inconvenient to an extent, though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:53:20 AM by Grade E cat »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2684 on: September 16, 2017, 02:51:43 AM »
They seemed not to wear masks at times when the weather was cold and bright, if they were outside, or inside the tank when it was closed. They wore them inside the tank when there was danger close by, as in escaping from Copenhagen, and I presume wearing masks in the shop was only sensible, since, while Lalli had checked the place, a small vermin beast might wander in from somewhere else, or they might unwittingly pass through a shady area where a troll had recently breathed.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!