Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392267 times)

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2625 on: August 18, 2017, 09:31:04 AM »
So, it looks like it's a giant, again. Confronting Emil and Lalli, again. Like the very first live grossling we saw. Last encounter of the expedition, like, circular reference/book end?

That's a pretty good point
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: :A2chap06: :A2chap07:

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #2626 on: August 19, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
About that... Minna's hinted (I think she's said, but then again I don't trust anything Minna says anymore) that there are going to be other missions after this one. What I've been wondering is... how? Where are they going to get the funding for another mission after the first one was such a disaster? (The books, maybe, but they had to leave a lot of them behind and those few they have with them might barely be enough to get the Västerströms out of debt...)

This is why I'm thinking we're going to have a miracle rescue on our hands at some point before the comic is over. None of the organizers knows about Tuuri yet, and with the ideas that have been discussed (here? in disqus? I'm not sure) about a bite maybe not being invariably fatal... they might believe she's okay. If someone busts her out of Tuonela, her not getting infected might get adopted as the official narrative - or "we're so awesome we brought one of our team back from the underworld, anything else is going to be a piece of cake after this". And who knows - the books might not be all that valuable, but the news about the cure might be, if the missing component is magic that the Y0 researchers had no way of knowing about.

Á tarë quildë, á harë tínë.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

:germany: (native) :uk: (fluent) :vaticancity: (had to) :spain: (okay) :denmark: (learning) :france: (learning)

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #2627 on: August 20, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »
it's pretty terrifying to think about what these grosslings might have looked like when they were first formed

didn't we see a failed troll transformation in an early chapter, that still had its face? what if trolls keeping their faces when they first come into existence is normal?  O_O
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2628 on: August 20, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »
it's pretty terrifying to think about what these grosslings might have looked like when they were first formed

didn't we see a failed troll transformation in an early chapter, that still had its face? what if trolls keeping their faces when they first come into existence is normal?  O_O

It's true that we tend to react more viscerally to horror when it still looks human, and particularly when it's a good-looking human.  (Boo Radley, call your office.)  Every time we see another grossling, we have to remind ourselves in print that these were once humans, and whenever the grossling is small, we surmise they were once children.  It would be horrible in all senses of the word were they to keep their faces for some time.  (Some of the skulls are not malformed - I assumed these were victims.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2629 on: August 21, 2017, 01:42:30 AM »

Are you talking about the one in Chapter 3 that the fandom calls "Miss Hearty Earrings"?   I'm not sure we know enough yet about troll transformations (and troll biology in general) to say whether keeping some vestige of a human appearance marks a "failed" transformation.  We've certainly seen a vast range of troll shapes.

Hopefully we'll get definitive answers on how trolls work someday
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2630 on: August 21, 2017, 07:39:04 AM »
Are you talking about the one in Chapter 3 that the fandom calls "Miss Hearty Earrings"?
No, I think the reference goes to Ceiling-Face.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2631 on: August 21, 2017, 07:10:21 PM »
No, I think the reference goes to Ceiling-Face.

That was my assumption.  Artistic license, having all the body decay away to the skeleton, but the skin and sinew on the face is more or less intact in its death rictus. *brrrr*

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2632 on: August 21, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
That was my assumption.  Artistic license, having all the body decay away to the skeleton, but the skin and sinew on the face is more or less intact in its death rictus. *brrrr*
As I see it, it didn't decay: the restraints were so strong and tight that the skeleton pushed itself out, leaving the mass of the flesh in a bulge below the restraints. So even more horrifying.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2633 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »

Ohhhh yeahhhh.  *brrr*  I think I blocked that out of my memory self-protectively! 

I suppose we consider that a "failed" troll transformation because it (apparently) died of its own accord?  While I don't think we've had a consensus on whether trolls and Rash-Beasts ever die "naturally" (Cthulhund seemed at the end of its rope, but who knows what might have happened if Emil hadn't intervened), my thought is that they're probably more or less immortal until or unless some external condition intervenes -- freezing, lack of nutrition, getting shot/flamed, etc.  (This is based on my headcanon that the Rash was started by an ill-thought-out attempt to overcome aging by trying to strengthen cell telomeres; the formula worked in some ways, so infected cells are essentially deathless, but they've gone very wrong indeed...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2634 on: August 22, 2017, 12:25:48 AM »
I'm getting more and more convinced every day that The Rash was created by Loki to initiate the beginning stages of Ragnarok.

Ilral

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2635 on: August 22, 2017, 03:01:42 AM »
Ohhhh yeahhhh.  *brrr*  I think I blocked that out of my memory self-protectively! 

I suppose we consider that a "failed" troll transformation because it (apparently) died of its own accord?  While I don't think we've had a consensus on whether trolls and Rash-Beasts ever die "naturally" (Cthulhund seemed at the end of its rope, but who knows what might have happened if Emil hadn't intervened), my thought is that they're probably more or less immortal until or unless some external condition intervenes -- freezing, lack of nutrition, getting shot/flamed, etc.  (This is based on my headcanon that the Rash was started by an ill-thought-out attempt to overcome aging by trying to strengthen cell telomeres; the formula worked in some ways, so infected cells are essentially deathless, but they've gone very wrong indeed...)
It seems to me that they don't need to breathe or eat, unless sjodraugs have gills and the original sleiptroll had 90 years worth of feed in its stall(it was restrained)
:chap14:
:chap15:
:chap16:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2636 on: August 22, 2017, 03:13:21 AM »
It's funny reading this page so soon after the French airing of the latest Game of Thrones episode, because falling in icy water happens to one of the characters, and later they get stripped out of their wet clothes onscreen. Now I'm probably expecting to see a stripped down Emil in the next few weeks much more than I should. Or a body heat sharing scene (didn't happen in the Game of Thrones episode, but I'm probably not the only one with a semi-fantasy of these two ending up in such a scenario).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:06:38 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2637 on: August 22, 2017, 05:59:06 AM »
It's funny reading this page [...]

Can I agree with just this part of your quote? I'm having a blast with this page because two weeks ago I killed Emil by throwing him into an icy river and during the weekend I almost offed him with a slight case of hypotermia! Mikkel and Lalli heated him up tho, no harm done!
#sorryemil

I'm really hoping it'll turn out well tho, plz no killing of Emil, Minna, that would feel horrible after all I've put him through D:
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2638 on: August 22, 2017, 03:27:22 PM »
Now I'm probably expecting to see a stripped down Emil in the next few weeks much more than I should.
The only two ways that that could possibly happen are a) that Lalli goes out of his mind and tries to kill Emil outright, or b) they make it to some ruins the squiddies cannot get to for whatever reason and that aren't already occupied by other grosslings and some of the incendiaries Emil carries can be used without a bang that attracts attention to them. Without either, Emil would stand a better chance only taking his clothes off for a quick, strong wringing, I guess.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2639 on: August 22, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »
Can I agree with just this part of your quote? I'm having a blast with this page because two weeks ago I killed Emil by throwing him into an icy river and during the weekend I almost offed him with a slight case of hypotermia! Mikkel and Lalli heated him up tho, no harm done!
#sorryemil

I'm really hoping it'll turn out well tho, plz no killing of Emil, Minna, that would feel horrible after all I've put him through D:

Perhaps it's a good thing that Minna generally does not note fanworks, because she'd be taking notes from you and from Lazy8, for sure!