Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392379 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2535 on: July 18, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »
Someone pointed this out in the comments (though I can't remember who), but it was a beach, so it's unlikely she jumped into deep water. The cold water most likely stunned her, and she was unable to get out of the shallow water, drowning.

I was one of those commentors (though very likely not the only one). 

Of course, Minna as author can arrange matters however she likes.  But JacobThomsen's analysis seems spot-on to me. 

Maybe later in the chapter we'll find out exactly what did happen with Tuuri's funeral rites. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #2536 on: July 20, 2017, 09:50:52 PM »
So... What do we think Lalli is doing right now? Finnish mages guide souls to rest -- but Tuuri doesn't need to be guided to rest, does she? Is he trying to reach Onni?
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #2537 on: July 20, 2017, 10:39:37 PM »
He is doing the very mage thing of throwing a fit.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2538 on: July 20, 2017, 11:44:58 PM »
Setting a ghost ambush? Asking the tree to conceal them from trolls, or give warning? Trying to contact Onni? Carving Tuuri's details on the tree?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2539 on: July 21, 2017, 02:42:53 AM »
I'm thinking, probably not contacting Onni. He seems to need Reynir's help for that. While he can't directly ask for it, he knows they'll likely meet if they sleep at the same time. Though there might be some special messaging ritual for emergencies, I dunno?

My guess is he's looking for Tuuri's soul to make sure it didn't get lost along the way. Not sure how much awareness he has over what happened with the Swan.

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #2540 on: July 21, 2017, 04:37:16 AM »
My guess is he's looking for Tuuri's soul to make sure it didn't get lost along the way. Not sure how much awareness he has over what happened with the Swan.
That sounds like something he could be doing, but of course we can't be completely sure
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2541 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »
I know, I know, I know you shouldn't split the party. But I wonder if it might not make sense in this case.

Suppose they left Reynir and Lalli with the cattank. Reynir stays safe inside. Lalli can go out and get water, fuel, maybe food; as well as detect trolls. Meanwhile Sigrid, Mikkel, and Emil take Kitty plus what weapons and survival gear they can carry, using backpacks etc -- forget about the wheelbarrow, it would just slow them down -- and head for the pickup point. When the pickup people show, a larger crew goes back to get Reynir, Lalli, and the books -- and maybe the rescue ship carries some kind of vehicle to do so with.

The major problem I see is that the people heading for the pickup point would have no mage with them. But they'd have a troll detector in Kitty; and the ghosts, at least according to Reynir, seem to be fixed on Reynir and might well not go beyond the cattank once they catch up to it -- and the cattank is protected against them.

The other problem, of course, is how to explain this to Lalli -- 'no don't try to follow us, stay with the tank and protect Reynir, we'll be back'. But Mikkel could explain it to Reynir, at least. Though it would be unnerving, waiting in the tank for people to come back for you who might not have survived to do so.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2542 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »
The major problem I see is that the people heading for the pickup point would have no mage with them. But they'd have a troll detector in Kitty; and the ghosts, at least according to Reynir, seem to be fixed on Reynir and might well not go beyond the cattank once they catch up to it -- and the cattank is protected against them.

No, the major problem is that we've seen ghosts don't come alone. They bring trolls with them, and the cattank only offers very limited protection against that, especially when not defended by any fighter. Sticking together is the only way they stand a chance, and it's gonna be a close call anyway.

thorny

« Reply #2543 on: July 21, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
the cattank only offers very limited protection against that, especially when not defended by any fighter.

Lalli's a fighter, and quite a good one. Yes, technically he's a scout; but we've seen him take down trolls more than once, including on his own; and he nearly killed Sleipnope.

But you have a point. One fighter against another who-knows-how-many-trolls wouldn't stand much chance; though how much chance the whole group would stand, with no tank for even limited protection, is another question.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2544 on: July 21, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »
I'm not denying Lalli's skill, but I was thinking about Reynir being left alone while Lalli goes out to get water or whatever.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2545 on: July 21, 2017, 02:02:38 PM »
When the pickup people show, a larger crew goes back
Umh. Says who? It took the quartet talking to their financers, the Icelandic government, to get that ship to lend any hand at all, weeks (if not months) later, remember? I don't think that the ship's crew will take any suggestions or orders from the rag tag band, much less such a risky one.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2546 on: July 21, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »
Also, concerning the rune, I think the entire point of painting it on the tent was to have a reltively large copy to bring on the trek.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

thorny

« Reply #2547 on: July 21, 2017, 02:32:56 PM »
Umh. Says who? It took the quartet talking to their financers, the Icelandic government, to get that ship to lend any hand at all, weeks (if not months) later, remember? I don't think that the ship's crew will take any suggestions or orders from the rag tag band, much less such a risky one.

Well, that's a point. (Is the pickup ship the same as the one that delivered the food, though? It's the food delivery that I remember there being a long argument about; but my memory may be faulty. Even if it's a different ship, however, they may not be willing or may not be equipped for a rescue mission at some distance from the ship.)

I expect the question's moot, anyway. Sigrun has no intention of splitting the party; and her opinion's going to have a lot more effect than mine.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2548 on: July 21, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »
Is the pickup ship the same as the one that delivered the food, though?
No, Túnfiskurinn certainly did not have a quarantine section aboard. It's a ship delivering merchandise to Bornholm - carrots and canned tuna at least - and the captain vowed to make things ugly if Trond ever contacted her again. Torbjörns wording suggests that "the Icelanders" offered the quarantine ship without any arm-twisting.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2549 on: July 22, 2017, 03:10:54 AM »
Well, Reynir is an Icelandic citizen astray in the dangerous outside world. They'll want him back.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!