Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392242 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2520 on: July 16, 2017, 04:45:45 AM »
Interesting way to look at it all. What I'm expecting is that they will miss the boat, or they will make the boat but some event will either destroy the rescue party or strand it, and what is left of the team, in the Silent World. So the next chapter might be about forging the disparate and emotionally shattered survivors into an actual team, with all that that implies about cooperation, patience, support, love and having one another's backs. Should be one helluva ride.

I wonder what is going to become of Onni?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

quark

« Reply #2521 on: July 17, 2017, 02:36:09 AM »
Hey guys, at this point I have literally no idea what this means or what is coming but you know how we thought Reynir's last mage dream was referring to Emil and Lalli's shopping trip? What if it wasn't?

Here's the footprint's from Reynir's dream

...and here are the tracks Emil and Lalli left after the shopping trip. Not quite the same, are they? Now, take a look at the footprints Tuuri left running down to the beach:

If somebody were to run a wheelbarrow through those, they would match the tracks in the dream almost exactly, I think. Again, I have no idea what that means, but I think our little stowaway is about to pull something big sometime soon. Who knows how or whether it involves Tuuri (I would wager it does) but I'm excited for it either way!
Chapter Break Survivor: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2522 on: July 17, 2017, 02:52:22 AM »
My personal feeling is that everyone is underestimating just how much real time we may be looking at before they get to the boat even if the extraction itself goes as planned. They are about to spend one week walking, then one week in a place where they have to stay, which may cause problems if Sleipnope hasn't been dealt with by then. For all I know, the walking part alone could end up having enough stuff happening in it to last us from whenever it gets started to the end of 2017. And who's to say there isn't going to be some kind of surprise when they get to the outpost? (I had to write the beginning of such a scenario down between my two first published fics to get it out of my system, so this is a very dear headcanon to me) I also don't exclude something happening during the boat trip, especially if they end up getting taken back all the way to Iceland, which means a 20-day trip minimum. With all this considered, I don't think the boat would need to be missed or sink upon arrival for the first expedition to last the announced five books.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:04:04 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2523 on: July 17, 2017, 09:44:25 AM »
take a look at the footprints Tuuri left running down to the beach:

[img]

If somebody were to run a wheelbarrow through those, they would match the tracks in the dream almost exactly, I think.

Not unless the person running the wheelbarrow managed not to leave any tracks of their own while doing so. There's only one set of human tracks in the vision.

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2524 on: July 17, 2017, 10:52:59 AM »
Not unless the person running the wheelbarrow managed not to leave any tracks of their own while doing so. There's only one set of human tracks in the vision.

The sandpeople always walk* single file to hide their numbers.

*Yes, yes, I know it should be "ride" there
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2525 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:47 PM »
I like your breakdown, Lazy8; it makes sense to me. I would very much like to see a Book 4 where the flaws of the remaining characters start to be addressed, whether during the march to the boat and the wait there, if little to nothing goes wrong, or by pulling together to fight the still-following Sleipnope and company again, this time with fewer guns, less ammo, no tank and less lighter fluid, though they'll still have Reynir and his stick drawings. And then there's a giant waiting for them at the pickup point. But no ship. What a time to bond!
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france:

elekia

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2526 on: July 17, 2017, 11:45:10 PM »
Good assessment, Lazy8, I hadn't noticed that before.  Tuuri's death will likely be the main cause of some of the needed confrontation of their problems.  I believe it's been said that there are going to be five books (correct me if I'm wrong), so if these themes remain consistent, I wonder what the fifth book's theme will be.
fluent: :usa:
pretty good: :germany:
someday: :china: :finland:

started: :chap12:
survived: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2527 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
I'm not 100% sure who that is in the driver's seat to be honest... I mean I think it's Reynir,, like 99% sure based off the clothing, but the shading makes the hair look blonde. Also much shorter, almost like he cut his hair.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2528 on: July 18, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
I'm not 100% sure who that is in the driver's seat to be honest... I mean I think it's Reynir,, like 99% sure based off the clothing, but the shading makes the hair look blonde. Also much shorter, almost like he cut his hair.

I'm certain it's Reynir, he's tall. I don't think his hair is any shorter and it's just the light that makes it look less red.
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

thorny

« Reply #2529 on: July 18, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
I think it's got to be Reynir.

My eyes tricked me and for a moment I thought I saw a very wide-eyed Tuuri crouched hiding under his chair; but it's a rather freaked out looking Kitty.

What's under the pyre/cairn? Did they actually retrieve a body? Or is that a memorial rite with no body, possibly using some of Tuuri's personal belongings?

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #2530 on: July 18, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »
What's under the pyre/cairn? Did they actually retrieve a body? Or is that a memorial rite with no body, possibly using some of Tuuri's personal belongings?
I don't think they got Tuuri's body back, even if they were able to retrieve it from the water it would almost certainly require someone to go swimming in the very cold sea water. And having anyone taking such a risk is not a good idea in their current situation.
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2531 on: July 18, 2017, 11:57:03 AM »
I don't think they got Tuuri's body back, even if they were able to retrieve it from the water it would almost certainly require someone to go swimming in the very cold sea water. And having anyone taking such a risk is not a good idea in their current situation.
Someone pointed this out in the comments (though I can't remember who), but it was a beach, so it's unlikely she jumped into deep water. The cold water most likely stunned her, and she was unable to get out of the shallow water, drowning.
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: :A2chap06: :A2chap07:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2532 on: July 18, 2017, 12:10:44 PM »
She'd have to be deep enough, though.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

thorny

« Reply #2533 on: July 18, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
Someone pointed this out in the comments (though I can't remember who), but it was a beach, so it's unlikely she jumped into deep water.

I don't know the geography in that area; but there are places in a number of parts of the world where a beach shallow enough to wade in near the edge drops off abruptly into deep water not very far from shore. I was assuming that was the situation here. -- that's what page 744 looks like to me; the land approaching the ocean alternates fairly steep downhills with short relatively level patches; the water's a different color not very far out; the waves appear to become sharper quite close to the beach.

October Sky

• Tumblr
  • Smile like you mean it
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they? Honestly no clue at this point
« Reply #2534 on: July 18, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »
It seems worth revisiting around page 354, when Mikkel put the other cat down.  There definitely seem to be some parallels.

-"Trying is not always a beneficial course of action"
-Sigrun asking Emil if he'll stop moping if they bury the cats properly seems sort of relevant
-The panel of Mikkel placing a stone on the cats grave on 355 is quite similar to the one on the most recent page
-Also the cat's wound is around her front left leg.  Tuuri's was on her left shoulder

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:32:11 PM by October Sky »
Nationality: :usa:
kinda but not really: :japan:
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: