Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392364 times)

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2460 on: June 30, 2017, 12:27:38 AM »
No, but the hero Väinämöinen traveled to Tuonela, the realm of the dead.
He basically cursed any living person who would try to go to Tuonela once he returned though, correct? And he only went to learn spells, not drag anyone back from death Orpheus style. So I'm guessing that Roisin is correct and Tuuri's return in the comic will be a more symbolic presence than anything.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2461 on: June 30, 2017, 02:42:56 AM »
Now that I'm over that strange coincidence of mine, I had a really, really horrible thought. What if between the communication barrier and his current mood, Lalli can't even convey what happened correctly, and nobody connects the dots until they return to camp and notice Tuuri's discarded mask?
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2462 on: June 30, 2017, 03:39:00 AM »
Now that I'm over that strange coincidence of mine, I had a really, really horrible thought. What if between the communication barrier and his current mood, Lalli can't even convey what happened correctly, and nobody connects the dots until they return to camp and notice Tuuri's discarded mask?

Even worse, what if Lalli tries to throw himself into the sea to follow his cousin?
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2463 on: June 30, 2017, 03:50:23 AM »

They would at least notice Tuuri is gone (Tuuri who has no business being outdoors unsupervised, let alone wander at a big distance from the camp alone) and know something Bad has happened. Lalli probably doesn't know enough Swedish to explain it anyway, but they will find the mask and that will clarify her intentions, given the situation.

Even worse, what if Lalli tries to throw himself into the sea to follow his cousin?

Slim chance that will happen, because 1. it wouldn't make sense to have a chapter break right before it, essentially breaking a very intense scene and 2. That would be out of character for Lalli, the way I read him. He never had a very strong bond with Tuuri and he's not prone to big dramatic gestures. Also, his death would put the rest of the team at a huge risk, especially without the tank. They would lose their scout and only trained mage. Even if Lalli has an intense death wish now (which I don't necessarily believe), I don't think he's that cynical to deliberately drag everyone else with him, not to mention *really* leave Onni alone.

If anything, I think it's Onni we should be worried about right now.

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2464 on: June 30, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »
I think you are right. At least, Minna's comments seem to indicate that Tuuri's presence in the story is far from over and she will have some sort of role in the upcoming arc, possibly one involving the spirit world in one way or another.

I was going to say that it seemed unlikely until I looked at the Finnish afterlife on Wikipedia.

And Tuuri did say she'd see Onni again.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2465 on: June 30, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »
They would at least notice Tuuri is gone (Tuuri who has no business being outdoors unsupervised, let alone wander at a big distance from the camp alone) and know something Bad has happened.

I was going to give all the reasons they'd figure out what happened, when I remembered my theory about miscommunication being the underlying premise of the comic.

They're certainly going to know Tuuri's gone. Will they follow Lalli, who just ran past them screaming for help in a language none of them understand? Will they notice the extra set of prints that he's following, after they all run over the top of them, and realize that Tuuri went into the water on her own feet, rather than having been dragged in by something? If they get that far, I think they'd have to figure out that she must have become symptomatic, even without the extra clue of the conversation she had with Lalli.

But I find myself with the unpleasant thought that they might shrug and turn back to dinner, thinking 'who knows why that scout does what he does?', and not figure out that Tuuri's missing until later; at which point I suppose they might think she was dragged off by a troll that had made it close to the tank, especially if the prints are gone by then.

-- I agree that Lalli will stick it out. He didn't want to come in the first place, and has expected disaster for a long time now, but he's kept doggedly (even though he's a cat) doing the job he's asked to do. I expect he'll keep on doing it.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2466 on: June 30, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »
Will they follow Lalli, who just ran past them screaming for help in a language none of them understand?

Emil and Lalli have been studying each other's language. Lalli shouted "help", which is certainly among the first things they learned. While the team often ignores important things, I really doubt such obvious panic from a normally level-headed character (and one who can sense the spirits and trolls) will be ignored.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #2467 on: June 30, 2017, 10:14:38 AM »
I was going to say that it seemed unlikely until I looked at the Finnish afterlife on Wikipedia.

And Tuuri did say she'd see Onni again.

I mean, this is Minna's exact line from the last page of the update's blog remarks:

"If it's any consolation, I'm sure we'll see Tuuri again one day in the future, one way or another."

and possibly

"So much of the upcoming storylines would have to be thrown out completely if I chickened out and kept everyone alive and happy after all."
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2468 on: June 30, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
I mean, this is Minna's exact line from the last page of the update's blog remarks:

"If it's any consolation, I'm sure we'll see Tuuri again one day in the future, one way or another."

I was thinking that maybe she meant that we would see Tuuri in the sci-fi game Minna is making
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2469 on: June 30, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
I was thinking that maybe she meant that we would see Tuuri in the sci-fi game Minna is making

Yes, at the first instance I thought so too, that Minna was just referring to City of Hunger.

However, we haven't seen Tuuri so far in that game. Maybe she's just doomed...
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2470 on: June 30, 2017, 04:34:05 PM »
Is it inappropriate to post this?

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2471 on: June 30, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »
Is it inappropriate to post this?

Yes :D Some might think it's insensitive with regards to the comic, but my problem is that it's an ear worm. It's kinda nice and I also really want that ear bleach at the same time. Interesting music.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2472 on: June 30, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
Yes :D Some might think it's insensitive with regards to the comic, but my problem is that it's an ear worm. It's kinda nice and I also really want that ear bleach at the same time. Interesting music.

It's from the end of the Sponge Bob Movie.

The old one. You know THE GOOD ONE.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2473 on: June 30, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
I don't know, I've never seen Spongebob. And I don't know if I want to, now :D

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2474 on: June 30, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »

I was thinking we'll see her in additional flashbacks. Maybe, like if we finally find out what happened to send the Hotakainens to Keuruu, or what Ensi's one mistake was.
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france: