Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392197 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2445 on: June 29, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »
Remember my comment on how I was hurling my multiverse-traveling character to the SSSS verse to ensure Tuuri lives?

WrittenEmber and I wrote a little.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/11348076
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Haspen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Hat Kat
« Reply #2446 on: June 29, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »
Those are teh saddest pages in any webcomic I have read so far, and I've read many.
Languages? Only :poland: and :uk: I'm afraid!

My 'dream catalogue' - Are you ready to delve into crazy? You probably aren't, so remember that you're clicking this at your own responsibility.

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #2447 on: June 29, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
Wow, this update came as quite a surprise. It has certainly had an impact.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2448 on: June 29, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
I think what's hitting me the hardest over the last few pages is that for me, and maybe many of us, Tuuri was the one who deep down we all identified with. Sure, we might wish we were as badass as Sigrun or as worldly-wise as Mikkel. But when it came to it, it was Tuuri who was closest to us and it was through her eyes we saw the world of SSSS. When she was peering from the train window hoping to catch a glimpse of her first troll, we were right there over her shoulder, eager to see what the Rash done. When she stood in awe of the ruins of the old world, so did we, although we were more impressed by Minna's artistic skills. Her inexperience, curiosity, and yes, ill-founded optimism were ours too. And unlike Reynir, the comic's other 'green' character, who nearly had a heart attack when he learned where he'd pitched up, she couldn't wait for the next adventure, for the next discovery. Just like us, eagerly hitting F5 for that next updated page. So it feels not just like we've lost a beloved character - for me, at least, it almost feels like I've lost a piece of myself.

I don't know if that actually makes much sense. After all, I didn't get much sleep last night. Can't imagine why...  ::)

It makes perfect sense, Vafhudr.  I also identified strongly with Tuuri as the POV character (and as someone who had a sheltered upbringing and naively wanted to go out and see the world). 

It's a wonderful explanation and a moving tribute to a character that, for all her flaws, many of us loved. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2449 on: June 29, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
Oh wow. I should not have read that at work because now I just want to sit here and cry but I'm at work at my desk and I can't just start bawling. Right? Agh. I don't know if I can do this. Wow. I don't think I've ever been hit so hard by a character death in my life.

WAIT. HOW IS LALLI GOING TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE OTHERS NOW??????

Would be complicated, but Reynir can talk to him in their dreams
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: :A2chap06: :A2chap07:

GeiYin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • A cosmonaut... someday
« Reply #2450 on: June 29, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »
It's funny when it comes to 'Lalli at least can talk with Reynir in dreams'
But. Reynir can talk only with Mikkel
And Mikkel's scandinavian can be understood normaly only by Sigrun

So. If Lalli would want to say something to Emil, those words should at first come though Reynir - then Mikkel - then Sigrun - and only then they'll reach Emil
Well...
Native:  :russia:
Can read:  :uk: / :usa:
Dream goal: :germany:

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18:

Cosplaying, drawing bonfires, writing in ruSSSSian

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2451 on: June 29, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »
Interesting fact, that I need to share with you all before I go add about five death tropes to the TVTropes page. I am of those that thought she had a little more time than this, and foolishly didn't realize her death would be exactly the kind of thing that would warrant adding nine pages at the same time. Yesterday evening, a few hours before the update (see my sig for the reason I'm never awake, or at least in front of my computer, when the updates actually happen), I was on TVTropes. I remembered the corpse from that page and added an entry for it. That made the last trope I added to the comic's page before today's update Better To Die Than Be Killed. Really, really weird coincidence as far as I'm concerned.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #2452 on: June 29, 2017, 02:48:01 PM »
*sees new update*
*screams into the void*
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2453 on: June 29, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »
It's funny when it comes to 'Lalli at least can talk with Reynir in dreams'
But. Reynir can talk only with Mikkel
And Mikkel's scandinavian can be understood normaly only by Sigrun

So. If Lalli would want to say something to Emil, those words should at first come though Reynir - then Mikkel - then Sigrun - and only then they'll reach Emil
Well...

You're right. Lalli would speak in Finnish to Reynir in the dreamworld, who would understand it as Icelandic, pass it on to Mikkel who tells it so Sigrun in Danish and Sigrun says it to Emil in Norwegian, hoping Emil's Swedish is close enough for him to completely understand.

This sounds like a complicated version of, how is that game called, Chinese telephone?
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #2454 on: June 29, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
you know by this point Emil is probably sufficent enough to understand the danish gibberish.
It wasn't impossible for him to begin with, although he did struggle with it.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2455 on: June 29, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »

*screams into the void*
*pat pat*
Fortunately, it's not quite a void, for here we all are. 
I will not cry at work. I will not cry at work. I will not cry at work. I will not cry at work. I will not cry at work.
Oh wow. I should not have read that at work because now I just want to sit here and cry but I'm at work at my desk and I can't just start bawling. Right? Agh. I don't know if I can do this. Wow. I don't think I've ever been hit so hard by a character death in my life.
Same.  Add: I will still get out the payroll, invoices, meeting catering, and submission updates I have on today without being a mess.  I did do it, too (in between checking to the Disqus comments).
She's about to be a serious danger to everybody else in the group. She's not only protecting herself from becoming permanently trapped as a troll; she's protecting them from her trollself. It's a genuinely heroic action.

I remembered after posting last night that I'd been thinking earlier that, without the cattank, they'd have no way of dealing with a trollifying Tuuri. If the tank had still been functional, it might have been possible to lock her up in one part of it, or to tie her up, and in either case to haul her along without massively endangering the rest of them. But if they're walking? How would they possibly manage? The only thing I could think of was if they could keep her unconscious, either by dosing her with the serum (which I think produced a coma) or possibly if Mikkel's got medications that could accomplish that -- but whatever he's got must be a limited supply, and might be needed for some other emergency. And they don't actually have the serum, do they? They've only got information about it.

And as far as doing it suddenly: I don't suppose she knew exactly when she'd become dangerous. If she didn't tell the others, she'd be risking them all. If she did tell the others -- then what? Wouldn't one of them have had to kill her? Would Lalli have tried to keep her alive? Maybe she was envisioning Mikkel coming at her with a syringe full of whatever killed the mama cat and Lalli launching himself at Mikkel trying to stop it.

I do think she might have left Lalli a letter -- maybe tucked into her jacket. But again, I sometimes think the whole comic is about miscommunication. To have excellent communications suddenly appear at this point seems not entirely plausible.

ETA: Also, she had a pretty specific sign from her gods -- who, in that world, are unquestionably real. She says "I really thought [ . . . ] someone over there would be looking out for me." And she gets an answer: there's the swan. Someone over there is indeed looking out for her -- but that doesn't mean she's not going to die. It means they're ready and waiting to give her soul a ride to the next world.  -- again, in the world of SSSS, that is real beyond question. Signs in this world that we're living in can't be trusted.

She would not have left any note.  She didn't even sit down.  No time elapsed between the sequence of checking out her neck, getting repulsed by the cat, fleeing Reynir, having a cryptic conversation with Lalli, and running off to the sea.  At that point on the foreshore, she revealed the depth of her denial.  I doubt she would have written a note in the time since her wounding to be found later, while still under the pall of that denial.  She probably, however, has given *some* thought to what she would do if she manifested, so maybe her action wasn't quite as spontaneous as all that.
But yes, that point about the Swan looking out for her - I'm tearing up again, that's so lovely and true.

Also, Sectoboss' point about our identification with Tuuri - also so very true and well-stated.  }hugs{
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2456 on: June 29, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
Sorry, wavewright -- that was the conditional might, which on re-reading wasn't clear. I didn't mean that I thought Tuuri had left a note, only that it was something that she could have done without having to deal with the likely repercussions of telling the others while she was still alive. I don't think she did, though.

I hate to make everybody feel even worse -- but is Onni still alive? I really didn't like the way his bird was falling.

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2457 on: June 29, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »
I want to go back and check exactly when the Swan appeared - and a few other details - but I honestly can't yet handle reading those pages again.

I think Onni is fine (well, *not fine*, but you know what I mean). He chased after the Swan, but flew into some kind of barrier he was unable to cross and was knocked back.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2458 on: June 29, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »
I'm still trying to process this update....I have no words... this is pretty much all I can come up with.

Spoiler: graphically violent anteater • show

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #2459 on: June 29, 2017, 11:41:58 PM »
Vafhudr, a number of folklores contain such things, including the Egyptian, Celtic, Australian Aboriginal and Old Persian, but in all of them, it is a rare thing that only happens a few times in each mythos. Far more frequent is the transformation of the dead or dying person into something else which survives, be it a star, an island or some artifact or creature which can help their companions. I'm half expecting a little snowy owl to start turning up in Lalli's and Onni's dreams.

I think you are right. At least, Minna's comments seem to indicate that Tuuri's presence in the story is far from over and she will have some sort of role in the upcoming arc, possibly one involving the spirit world in one way or another.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...