Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392304 times)

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2415 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »
Did Reynir's fylgja poof out? I can't find that, only Onni's.
The vision with the wheelbarrow tracks. Doggy takes a turn from the path, asks some invisible entity if it did good, and dissolves into little sparkles.

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2416 on: June 28, 2017, 07:25:35 PM »
Pretty sure this means Reynir is going to die. I didn't think he would, given the whole word of mouth "no one will die" thing. But, y'know, I don't now how he's gonna avoid it with his Fylgja going poof. He might not have actually seen its corpse so I guess there's some sort of cliffhanger-y hope for the guy, but I don't know whatever else it could mean. In the Sagas, once your Fylgja dies, you're doomed and nothing can save you, you're halfway in the other world already.

I don't think that was meant to be a Fylgja death so much as a dramatic exit. I mean, we saw what happened with Reynir's body seemly dissolving when he started to wake up. So I wouldn't read too much into the disappearance of the Fylgja - the vision itself, yes, but not how the presenter ended it.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2417 on: June 28, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
Maybe. I doubt that tho - it's not like Minna to put in dramatic unnecessary stuff there only for decorative purposes. Reynir definitely reacted to its disappearance, it wasn't simply something made for the sake of visuals.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2418 on: June 28, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »
No, I think the fylgja just went back to wherever it goes when not talking to Reynir. At least one of the innocents needs to survive.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2419 on: June 28, 2017, 07:35:04 PM »
No, I think the fylgja just went back to wherever it goes when not talking to Reynir. At least one of the innocents needs to survive.
Fylgjas don't do that in the myth. They're always running ahead of their person, like a needle pulling a thread in a sort of Norse fatalism. They don't go anywhere until they die, they simply move on to the physical place where their human will go soon. I guess Minna could take some mythological liberties but I've never seen her do that so far in this comic. She's paid meticulous attention to mythological detail.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2420 on: June 28, 2017, 07:36:56 PM »
Fylgjas don't do that in the myth. They're always running ahead of their person, like a needle pulling a thread in a sort of Norse fatalism. They don't go anywhere until they die, they simply move on to the physical place where their human will go soon. I guess Minna could take some mythological liberties but I've never seen her do that so far in this comic. She's paid meticulous attention to mythological detail.
It seems like it's done that before? I can't cite a source off the top of my head, but I feel like it usually vanishes like that as he wakes up.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2421 on: June 28, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »
Reynir has been separated from his dog multiple times in the dream world - actually they're more often apart than together (thinking about the incident when he invaded Lalli's space, for instance). I don't think it means much - his fylgja is probably with him all the time, just doesn't manifest unless it needs to communicate something. Lalli too has had his luonto all the time except when he was in a coma, but we don't see a lynx hanging out with him constantly.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2422 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »
Heartbroken! Poor, brave Tuuri!  :-\  :'(
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2423 on: June 28, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Reynir has been separated from his dog multiple times in the dream world - actually they're more often apart than together (thinking about the incident when he invaded Lalli's space, for instance). I don't think it means much - his fylgja is probably with him all the time, just doesn't manifest unless it needs to communicate something. Lalli too has had his luonto all the time except when he was in a coma, but we don't see a lynx hanging out with him constantly.
Luonto's and Fylgjas aren't the same. The way I understand the Luonto is it's basically part of ones self, an aspect of you sort to speak, we see Lalli literally absorbing his lynx in the comic and therefore we don't see it in his dreamworld - it's his nature. The Fylgja is a semi-separate entity. Fylgjas would naturally be apart from their masters (since they're running ahead of them) unless popping up in a dream to communicate. Even then, though, such messages would be very divinatory in nature and Minna has always shown Reynir following the dog. In fact, she has payed meticulous attention to the mythology - if this was any other author I wouldn't think much about it, but Minna knows the stuff she's writing about.

Eh, I dunno. I think it would be too much if both the "innocents" died, too, but I'm expecting *at least* a near death experience where he pass away then comes back. Or something like it. This is too suspicious compared to the sagas.

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2424 on: June 28, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »
Yeah, Luonto are considered a part of the Soul, the word meaning Nature, a sort of primal aspect of the person. Fylgja, on the other hand, is a guardian, the word meaning "Follower" or "To follow"
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: :A2chap06: :A2chap07:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #2425 on: June 28, 2017, 09:41:45 PM »
Well I am devastated.

I genuinely thought they would make it out. I really wanted everyone to get out of this alive.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2426 on: June 28, 2017, 10:01:38 PM »
QUESTION FOR AN IGNORAMUS.

Can you trade a soul for a soul in finnish paganism? Like a life for someone dead.

I know shes gone, but I'm curious if that works.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2427 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:36 PM »
OK, I was not expecting that.

I don't know why I wasn't expecting that. Minna killed off her entire original cast, after all, between page 55 and page 56 (though not onstage, and we're allowed to imagine them dying peacefully from old age if we want; though I don't suppose all of them did.)

But nevertheless, while I was sure from the page of the troll bite that she was infected, I expected something else to happen -- possibly, as lots of others have suggested, a combination of the serum and the preacher. And I thought the multipage update was going to be her starting to trollify, before they managed to get it stopped. This is better storytelling; but it's hard.

And I am now really worried about that one line of footprints with the wheelbarrow in Reynir's vision.

But brave Tuuri!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #2428 on: June 28, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »
OK, I was not expecting that.

I don't know why I wasn't expecting that. Minna killed off her entire original cast, after all, between page 55 and page 56 (though not onstage, and we're allowed to imagine them dying peacefully from old age if we want; though I don't suppose all of them did.)

But nevertheless, while I was sure from the page of the troll bite that she was infected, I expected something else to happen -- possibly, as lots of others have suggested, a combination of the serum and the preacher. And I thought the multipage update was going to be her starting to trollify, before they managed to get it stopped. This is better storytelling; but it's hard.

And I am now really worried about that one line of footprints with the wheelbarrow in Reynir's vision.

But brave Tuuri!
I didn't take the single set of tracks seriously before but now...
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #2429 on: June 28, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »
QUESTION FOR AN IGNORAMUS.

Can you trade a soul for a soul in finnish paganism? Like a life for someone dead.

I know shes gone, but I'm curious if that works.

Trade, no.

But there is precedent for revival. Though I doubt it is in the card at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuonela
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmink%C3%A4inen%27s_Mother
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...