Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392241 times)

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2295 on: June 03, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
Sooooo... I've been re-reading things...

Was minna foreshadowing Turri getting hurt way back on page 189?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2296 on: June 03, 2017, 07:47:45 PM »
Sooooo... I've been re-reading things...

Was minna foreshadowing Turri getting hurt way back on page 189?
Funny enough I have seen on page 307 that reynir says 'he can fix the glass' might be hinting at him helping her.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2297 on: June 06, 2017, 09:27:04 AM »
As I posed on Disqus:

A sign of spring!  When the weather gets warmer and trolls and beasts are more active!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2298 on: June 06, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »
So Emil has apparently sensed that Reynir, growing depressed, is vulnerable to being toppled from the position of Overly Optimistic Cinnamon Roll. With great cunning he has schemed to usurp the position by exploiting the friendshipping tendencies of the Minnions...
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #2299 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:48 PM »
So Emil has apparently sensed that Reynir, growing depressed, is vulnerable to being toppled from the position of Overly Optimistic Cinnamon Roll. With great cunning he has schemed to usurp the position by exploiting the friendshipping tendencies of the Minnions...
How incredibly devious of him...do we want him to succeed?
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Quirkwood

• Preferred pronouns: they/them is good
« Reply #2300 on: June 06, 2017, 06:30:22 PM »
How incredibly devious of him...do we want him to succeed?
I suppose we do, even though he would make a very scary Overly Optimistic Cinnamon Roll, what with the explosives and flamethrowers and all.

I just think that he, Reynir and Lalli are the Clueless Young Ones of the situation, with Lalli being clueless in a different way (at least he knows how to survive and he knows about Finnish magic). Reynir and Emil are clueless as in "I am a huge puppy-dog and my place is in an animal sanctuary" ^^ No but really, I'm excited to see them growing up into a fierce warrior and wizard.

Till then, I suppose they'll take turns for the role of Overly Optimistic Cinnamon Roll of the group. Gods know this group needs cinnamon rolls.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2301 on: June 08, 2017, 03:58:21 AM »
On one hand, I appreciate Lalli trusts Emil enough to show some feelings around him. On the other, I hope he doesn't lash out at Emil again for things that are not his fault. *sigh* these two.

Caro

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2302 on: June 08, 2017, 04:11:28 AM »
On the other, I hope he doesn't lash out at Emil again for things that are not his fault.

He definitely looks mad enough to lash out, even angrier than last time. He's had nobody to vent to and no way to deal with his anger and frustration. He can't talk to Tuuri because she doesn't want herself or Lalli to worry, and there's no-one else who even speaks his language. Lashing out is imminent. Emil doesn't deserve it though; he's just trying to help, even if he's being somewhat naive about it. Lalli really needs someone to cry to.
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :england:
Somewhat: :sweden: :france:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2303 on: June 08, 2017, 08:07:19 AM »
Emil was being pretty insensitive by saying that they're both going to be happier now thanks to their friendship to someone who was facing the encroaching death of a family member. This is far worse than the soup incident, when even though Minna had shown the readers what Lalli was so upset about it was painfully clear that Emil had no clue, nor any means to get a clue before Lalli lashed out at him. This, though... even foot-in-the-mouth Emil should have known better than to say something like that! No, he doesn't deserve a physical lashing-out, but I am very glad that Lalli is at least trying to set him straight.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2304 on: June 08, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
Our dear sparkly Swede is just SO clueless.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2305 on: June 08, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
Emil was being pretty insensitive by saying that they're both going to be happier now thanks to their friendship to someone who was facing the encroaching death of a family member. This is far worse than the soup incident, when even though Minna had shown the readers what Lalli was so upset about it was painfully clear that Emil had no clue, nor any means to get a clue before Lalli lashed out at him. This, though... even foot-in-the-mouth Emil should have known better than to say something like that! No, he doesn't deserve a physical lashing-out, but I am very glad that Lalli is at least trying to set him straight.

So I take it you've never seen people say "it's gonna be okay" to comfort others or themselves, even in situations where nobody had any idea if things will be okay, or horrible? It's actually a pretty natural and common thing, if illogical. Sometimes literally the only thing that keeps people going is hope in a positive outcome (no matter how unlikely). Right now, we don't know if Tuuri is infected (even though half the comment section started to mourn her as soon as she got bitten) so they may in fact still be all happy and okay come summer. Emil is pointing out a possible outcome. And he's doing it because he hopes to help his friend feel better. Can't see how he deserves to be "set straight" over this.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2306 on: June 08, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
So I take it you've never seen people say "it's gonna be okay" to comfort others or themselves, even in situations where nobody had any idea if things will be okay, or horrible? It's actually a pretty natural and common thing

This is true; but in cases in which the person it's said to has reason to think that no, it's not gonna be okay, it can backfire.

I remember a case in the news years ago -- OK, I'd better figure out how to do spoilers; warning for violence and severe selfharm.

Spoiler: show
Quite a few years ago and I doubt I can find it, but it really stuck in my head: a teenage girl had shot somebody. A police officer who had arrived on the scene was trying to get her to surrender, and said to her (probably not exact words) 'Please give me the gun. It's going to be OK.'

She looked at him, said "No. It's not." And shot herself.

-- while that may well not have been the right thing to do next (she might have in the much longer run have had a worthwhile life, and it must have been terrible for her friends/family), it's hard to argue with her logic. It was not going to be OK, either for her or for her victim.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2307 on: June 08, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
Right now, we don't know if Tuuri is infected (even though half the comment section started to mourn her as soon as she got bitten)
Tuuri accepted it as a possibility when talking with Reynir, and all canon knowledge we have about the Illness suggests that with non-immune, it doesn't stop short of a 99+% "possibility", no matter how much it is in Tuuri's character to stay an optimist.

Which is to say, of course her plot armor is likely to come up with a miracle, but it'll be a miracle in the eyes of the characters, not what they expected beforehand.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2308 on: June 08, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »
thorny, I don't think it backfired in your situation.

Spoiler: show
More like, her mind was made up at that point, and there was very little anyone could have said to change it. Also, there's a huge difference between hearing "it's gonna be okay" from a well-meaning friend, and from a police officer who caught you murdering someone and is likely pointing a gun at you. The words are the same, but the intent behind them is completely different: in one case, genuine concern for your feelings; in another, fear and a wish to manipulate you. People can tell which one it is in blatant situations like this, and ofc it doesn't create the same reaction.

But we have no way to check which one of us has it right, so *shrug*. I'm far from being an optimist and I don't go spouting positive shit all day, but it sure helps me to know that my friends care when I'm in trouble, even if they don't always show it in the best possible way. (And yes, Emil didn't choose the best way to go about it, but come on, it's Emil).

all canon knowledge we have about the Illness suggests that with non-immune, it doesn't stop short of a 99+% "possibility"

Can you point me to where in canon we learned this, please? This is not my impression, but of course it's possible I'm missing something.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2309 on: June 08, 2017, 02:58:09 PM »
Can you point me to where in canon we learned this, please? This is not my impression, but of course it's possible I'm missing something.
There's a classification of grosslings into the infection vectors they may use here. Since the one in question was obviously not a "breather", we're talking about its teeth, some other body part, or its spit having gotten under Tuuri's skin. She had a wound in her shoulder that had bled right through her jacket in the mere seconds it took Lalli to get inside; if it had been only spit that hit her (and the wound was caused by flying debris or somesuch instead), she would have removed the contaminated jacket as fast as she could, hoping to have it off her before the germs make it to the inside. So, we can take for granted that Tuuri had actually some troll in her flesh.

Given that, we can apply the knowledge that was stated about the consequences of direct contact between grossling and the wounds of a non-immune. Here Mikkel suggests that infection through contaminated significant wounds is at least as likely as through a non-masked, breathing mouth - and that's the vector that got most of pre-Rash humanity killed. Here Tuuri suggests that her entering Mora without a quarantine period could, in her opinion, get the whole of Outer Mora killed - and that's though she hasn't been near any contamination throughout the trip from Keuruu. In the same vein, she later suggests that outbreaks tend to sweep entire villages. Siv and all her colleagues - surely there are immune among them? - work in full hazmat suits, even though the grosslings sealed in those glass cylinders should be dead and, thus, have turned noninfectious before they ever got into the lab. The crew of TĂșnfiskurinn was scheduled to go into quarantine upon return to Iceland, in spite of them not being allowed to leave the ship - in Reynirs and Ólafurs case, the cabins - before that in the first place.

No, it's not like anyone has said "on screen" that you have x% of probability of infection per sq in of wound surface left by a troll, or that even a pin prick, if only deep enough, is a death sentence. But their actions speak reams, I'ld say.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15