Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392391 times)

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2265 on: May 15, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »
I fear I'm going to dream all night about the crew having to sleep without a roof, on the road, surrounded by trolls and murderous ghosts (and Tuuri not being able to say goodbye to Onni, but no one's dying, right?? so that part's just our imagination, right???)

Well, there's been some speculation that if a being trollifies or grosslingificates, then they get a ... sort of soul presence in the Dreamworld. Like Cthulhund. So, if Tuuri trollifies, her soul could go hunt down up Onni in the Dreamworld, and they could have their goodbyes then. See? Problem solved.  O_O
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france:

yankai

• Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2266 on: May 15, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
Well, there's been some speculation that if a being trollifies or grosslingificates, then they get a ... sort of soul presence in the Dreamworld. Like Cthulhund. So, if Tuuri trollifies, her soul could go hunt down up Onni in the Dreamworld, and they could have their goodbyes then. See? Problem solved.  O_O

O_O O_O O_O O_O
Native: :argentina:
Kind of: :uk: / :italy:

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #2267 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
So I've been trying to figure out where the crew's extraction location is. On page 721 Mikkel states that; 'a lightly equipped person of good condition could cross the distance to the extraction location in two days, with ease'. It's not that precise but if we say that it can mean anything from 50 to 100 km, and we assume that the crew is still pretty close to the little belt bridge that they crossed on page 719, it would mean that the extraction location should be somewhere on the coast between the two red circles.

Now if the crew crossed a lot of distance between page 721 and 719 the calculations will of course be off, but if I'm right this would mean that the most realistic location for the extraction location would be somewhere near Aarhus or Mols (marked in green), if the crew is further north than predicted the rest of Djursland would also be possibility. I would consider Mols and the rest of Djursland to be the most realistic place for the location since they weren't that populated and the area near Aarhus would be filled with ruins where all sort of nasty things could hide.

In theory the crew could also cross all of Jutland and end up at the North sea, but since the North sea is often plagued by storms (especially during the winter and autumn) that wouldn’t be an ideal location for an extraction.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 04:33:00 PM by JacobThomsen »
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2268 on: May 16, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
I concur. That bit of coastline would also be closer to the sea lanes between Norway and Bornholm, whereas the North Sea coast would be rather out of the way.

Oh! And it's also an old base set up by the Danes during the reclaimation attempt. It would be weird for them to go all the way around Jutland!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:37:07 PM by Purple Wyrm »
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2269 on: May 16, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »
From my extensive knowledge of Danish geography, gleaned in the very last five minutes, I'd say that looks likely. Moreover, I'd hazard a guess that the team is being sent to Øerne or Grenaa, since both are current day ferry ports (I think) and are not in the middle of downtown Troll Center, as Aarhus would likely be.
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2270 on: May 17, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »
I just figured it out!

Reynir desperately wants to find Pastor A. His Fylgja was so pleased because it had figured out how to find her, and showed him. Follow the wheelbarrow tracks!

I reckon their path to the pickup point is going to go past a very familiar looking old church.

(Now for Minna to prove me completely wrong... :) )
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2271 on: May 17, 2017, 10:23:05 AM »
I also thought the fylgja might be trying to show the way to Pastor A.

And I hope you're right that their path will take them near enough to the church for Reynir to spot it. I've been looking hopefully at buildings here and there ever since he promised the pastor they'd find her; but of course nothing's looked right so far.

Occa

• Tumblr
« Reply #2272 on: May 19, 2017, 12:20:36 AM »

a blep
Native: :usa:
Trying to learn: :sweden: :iceland: :spain:

I usually have no idea what's going on

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2273 on: May 19, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »
I'm thinking of something. Several fanfics that have the crew catching the ship have a mage onboard the ship. But if there is one on the canon boat, and that boat departed in late Chapter 12, how much time before that mage is able to go say hi to Lalli and/or Reynir? Especially since we may be looking at someone who feels comfortable crossing bigger distances than Reynir.

Also, on a personal level, I suspect that the loss of his fylgja is temporarily impeding Reynir's ability to communicate via dreamspace in some way.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:16:41 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2274 on: May 19, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
I'm thinking of something. Several fanfics that have the crew catching the ship have a mage onboard the ship. But if there is one on the canon boat, and that boat departed in late Chapter 12, how much time before that mage is able to go say hi to Lalli and/or Reynir? Especially since we may be looking at someone who feels comfortable crossing bigger distances than Reynir.

Also, on a personal level, I suspect that the loss of his fylgja is temporarily impeding Reynir's ability to communicate via dreamspace in some way.

Can Norse magic users even lose their fylgja?

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #2275 on: May 19, 2017, 04:25:45 PM »
Can Norse magic users even lose their fylgja?

It seems that many interpreted pages 717 and 718 as exactly that happening, and I'm among them until we know more.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2276 on: May 19, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »
It seems that many interpreted pages 717 and 718 as exactly that happening, and I'm among them until we know more.
... frankly, I cannot see a fylgja getting truly separated from its owner with a huge smile on its face. That's a bad thing to happen to a human's protecting spirit and embodiment of his luck.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2277 on: May 19, 2017, 07:27:32 PM »
I agree with JoB. In the sagas, the loss of Fylgja is usually a far more serious affair, distressing to both parties. It happens in rare instances where the behaviour of the human has so disgusted their fylga that she abandons them. Those people, when they die, can become the Icelandic style of evil ghost, quite material, capable of killing humans and other things, and very willing to do so. The kind that turns up in the Sagas, and in the rune list there is one to be used 'When troublesome ghosts/ ride the rafters aloft/ I can make it so that they wander astray'.

But usually the Luck doesn't leave a human until death.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #2278 on: May 20, 2017, 02:36:57 AM »
That's what I get for speculating with about zero knowledge of Norse mythology. Maybe it's just taking some sort of break from work, then.*braces herself for the replies of those who know the material*

Still wondering about hypothetical mages that could be on the Icelandic rescue boat and their capacity to reach those on the expedition, though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:58:21 AM by Grade E cat »

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2279 on: May 20, 2017, 04:00:51 AM »
That's what I get for speculating with about zero knowledge of Norse mythology. Maybe it's just taking some sort of break from work, then.*braces herself for the replies of those who know the material*

Still wondering about hypothetical mages that could be on the Icelandic rescue boat and their capacity to reach those on the expedition, though.

From what I understand (via http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=87), most Icelandic seiður operate more in the realms of prophetic dreaming and casting of spells via runes, and may not have grasped the concept that any strangers they see may be other mages, let alone manipulate the phenomenon as a method of regular communication.  The Finns have grasped it, though, to the extent that even non-mages know about it.
It could happen, but not through the intent of anyone other than Reynir.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior