Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392257 times)

MR_PLINKETT

Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2250 on: May 11, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
I'm more curious about what made everyone abandon their cars there. Having the traffic on just one side can be explained if they were convinced that aid is coming in - in that case they would keep one side free for incoming traffic, since it's likely that not everyone cold evacuate, so there were vulnerable people left behind. (Or, if you want a darker and even more convincing reason, imagine armed military at both ends of that bridge directing traffic. It's not unlikely that it got there at some point.) But... why all the abandoned cars?

Because traffic was backed up/stopped. Ether from a checkpoint/wreck/ or it just being clogged. So people felt instead of waiting for hours abandoning their cars was faster. And with the influx of reanimated monstrosities I'd abandon my car to in that situation.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2251 on: May 12, 2017, 07:16:31 AM »
Yeah. I can imagine scenarios in which people would have left the other lane clear; and I can imagine scenarios in which they either abandoned their cars, or died in them. I'm having trouble imagining one in which both of those things happened.

Exactly.

The other possibility is that both lanes were blocked at the time of the exodus, but that at some later date, say during a Danish Reclamation attempt, vehicles were removed by the military so they could get their own vehicles through. And since the team is heading to one of the Reclamation attempt ports, according to the Home Crew, having already been through the last stand point of Copenhagen, it's likely the Danish Army did some bridge clearing in addition to airport clearing, etc. at that time.

I like this idea, I think it's the only one that adequately explains all this imo.

Because traffic was backed up/stopped. Ether from a checkpoint/wreck/ or it just being clogged. So people felt instead of waiting for hours abandoning their cars was faster. And with the influx of reanimated monstrosities I'd abandon my car to in that situation.

I would certainly try to make an escape on the free lane before deciding to abandon the car in this case, police be damned (I will run police over if they try to prevent me from escaping rash monsters, you heard it here folks). Cars aren't armored like the tank is, but there's no doubt you have more survival chances in one than on foot. (marginal anyway)

Mayabird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2252 on: May 12, 2017, 08:49:29 AM »
There were highways full of abandoned cars in Atlanta after a rather minor snowstorm so the whole thing with abandoned cars is the least weird part of it.  We've seen abandoned cars on one side of the road all throughout this journey anyway. 

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2253 on: May 12, 2017, 10:48:56 AM »
Those cars in Atlanta appear to be on both sides of the road, though.

I'm not puzzled that some people abandoned cars -- either running out of gas, or somebody in the car trollifying, would explain that. I'm puzzled that other people didn't try to drive around them and fill up the other lane, shortly after which the same problem would occur in the other lane, resulting in abandoned cars on both sides of the road.

A clearing operation some time later would indeed explain it. They wouldn't have needed to clear the whole road, just the places such as bridges where tanks couldn't just go around through the fields.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2254 on: May 12, 2017, 02:14:58 PM »
I'm kind of surprised that all the traffic is on only one side.  I'd have expect the fleeing populace to have used both sides.
I'm afraid that you'll have to take the situation shown as symbolic, rather than a photographic reproduction. :3 For starters, the actual Nye Lillebæltsbro has three lanes per direction:
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

« Reply #2255 on: May 12, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »
Well, let's see. It hasn't got a gas tank.

Electrical fire?

And how much of the tank itself is built out of anything that can burn?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2256 on: May 13, 2017, 05:34:26 AM »
Well, let's see. It hasn't got a gas tank.
That's not a given. While the actual propulsion system is electric, the batteries are recharged by a multifuel (i.e., combustion) engine + generator. And all the fuels Minna mentioned as acceptable happened to be flammable liquids.

(Though I'ld imagine it to have interesting effects if one were to just throw any suitable find into a single tank, where they'll happily unmix and form strata per density.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

« Reply #2257 on: May 13, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
That's not a given. While the actual propulsion system is electric, the batteries are recharged by a multifuel (i.e., combustion) engine + generator. And all the fuels Minna mentioned as acceptable happened to be flammable liquids.

That's a point. I guess I wasn't thinking of the combustion chamber as being under the hood; but I suppose it might be. (A gas tank isn't generally under the hood either, but gas lines are. A damaged gas line dripping onto hot engine parts can certainly cause a fire, which is what I was actually thinking couldn't be an issue in this case; but I was apparently too sleepy to type that out clearly.)

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #2258 on: May 14, 2017, 02:26:18 AM »
I saw this face and thought it looked familiar

Page 714 vs. Page 94
Oh, how far we have come.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:35:30 AM by PickleChip »
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2259 on: May 14, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »
If they abandon that tank they abandon the radio, which means tuuri will never get to say goodbye to onni.

:(

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #2260 on: May 14, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
If they abandon that tank they abandon the radio, which means tuuri will never get to say goodbye to onni.

:(

NO ONES DYING!
Onni is recuperating and Tuuri doesn't have the rash yet.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2261 on: May 14, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »
NO ONES DYING!
Onni is recuperating and Tuuri doesn't have the rash yet.

yet

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #2262 on: May 14, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »
yet
Those negative waves of yours won't be helping you anytime soon.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2263 on: May 14, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
Those negative waves of yours won't be helping you anytime soon.
/>
Pardon me while I squee over the Kelly's Heroes reference.

yankai

• Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2264 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:03 PM »
I don't think anyone who hasn't read the latest page will be here on this board, but just in case
Spoiler: show
I fear I'm going to dream all night about the crew having to sleep without a roof, on the road, surrounded by trolls and murderous ghosts (and Tuuri not being able to say goodbye to Onni, but no one's dying, right?? so that part's just our imagination, right???)
Native: :argentina:
Kind of: :uk: / :italy: