Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392455 times)

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2145 on: March 31, 2017, 08:46:34 PM »
but couldn't it be carried on animals? Like the cats or the dog?
The only dog I can recall was the dog-beast, and Emil dealt with it months ago, comic-time (as far as I can tell). Mama cat died the same day, so any viruses she might have passed on would likely have run their course by this time. Same with Kitty. Plus, anti-Rash hygiene protocols may have the side effect of preventing a number of more mundane illnesses.
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Occa

• Tumblr
« Reply #2146 on: March 31, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »
ok. My understanding of the comic time is still a bit off since I read most of it in an afternoon, but that makes sense.
Native: :usa:
Trying to learn: :sweden: :iceland: :spain:

I usually have no idea what's going on

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2147 on: March 31, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »
I don't think cats and dogs get human colds, in any case; though they can get other respiratory diseases, some of them with similar symptoms, but caused by different viruses; most of which don't affect humans.

There are some diseases readily transmissable between species -- some of them only between a few, others between quite a few -- but there are also many that are species-specific.

Occa

• Tumblr
« Reply #2148 on: March 31, 2017, 10:40:10 PM »
I was thinking more along the line of parasites or insects that might carry diseases.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2149 on: April 01, 2017, 12:40:07 AM »
We share a number of flu-type illnesses with pigs and ducks. That is often how flu epidemics begin, in environments where we, ducks and pigs live close enough together that we can have viruses jump species and evolve into forms that are rougher on all of us, like the recent bird flu epidemics. Human and bovine TB are close enough to cross-infect, HIV we can catch from apes and monkeys. Likewise bubonic plague and some kinds of typhus from rodents, Marburg disease and Lassa Fever from rats, mice, bats and possibly other animals.

I've even heard it suggested that there is a virus that humans share with a tree, the River Redgum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis), and that leprosy may originally have jumped species from amphibians. Don't know enough about the last two to really have an opinion, but interesting ideas.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #2150 on: April 01, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »
That's interesting. I'd think that it would have some affect on the immune system, given that it's quite common to get a runny nose when out in the cold. That might be an effect directly on the sinuses rather than on the immune system as a whole?

It does seem to be "common knowledge" (whether true or not) that being in the cold has some effect on getting a cold.
The runny nose is actually caused by moisture in the air - iiiiiffff I'm remembering correctly, your nose will humidify any air that you breathe in to help keep your lungs moist. When it's colder, the temperature difference between your body and the outside means the water condenses in your nose, giving you a runny nose.

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2151 on: April 01, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »
The runny nose is actually caused by moisture in the air - iiiiiffff I'm remembering correctly, your nose will humidify any air that you breathe in to help keep your lungs moist. When it's colder, the temperature difference between your body and the outside means the water condenses in your nose, giving you a runny nose.

Wow, thats actually really cool! I didn't know that - thanks for the science fact!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2152 on: April 03, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
New page . . .

Tuuri doesn't look in the least happy. That grin looks absolutely manic.

And I sure hope that that thing they're driving past in the last panel is safely dead.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2153 on: April 03, 2017, 11:04:07 PM »
Oh, I am so hoping Mikkel isn't trying to palm off responsibility for dealing with an infected Tuuri onto the quarantine facility.  Sigrun I would expect to deal with it, but Mikkel might just try to wash his hands of the issue.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2154 on: April 03, 2017, 11:18:39 PM »
Oh, I am so hoping Mikkel isn't trying to palm off responsibility for dealing with an infected Tuuri onto the quarantine facility.  Sigrun I would expect to deal with it, but Mikkel might just try to wash his hands of the issue.

I don't think he will, if only because she's likely to become symptomatic (if she does) before the ship gets there -- they were going to have to wait a couple weeks while dining on tinned food before its arrival, iirc. Also, he does promise to keep the home team up to date on this page, so maybe he'll buckle down and do his job properly.
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france:

Occa

• Tumblr
« Reply #2155 on: April 04, 2017, 01:46:39 AM »
Glad to see the ghosts are still hanging around.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2156 on: April 04, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
Glad to see the ghosts are still hanging around.

You may be the only one.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Occa

• Tumblr
« Reply #2157 on: April 04, 2017, 07:19:45 PM »
You may be the only one.

They should like, put a "no loitering" sign on the cat tank to keep the ghosts away.

Minutia_R

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she or they
« Reply #2158 on: April 05, 2017, 12:00:35 AM »
They should like, put a "no loitering" sign on the cat tank to keep the ghosts away.

Didn't they?

Occa

• Tumblr
« Reply #2159 on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:20 AM »
no, like a government officiated one. Just a big ol' metal sign that says "No Loitering"