Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392395 times)

MR. RAGE

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1995 on: January 11, 2017, 12:42:07 AM »
Sounds… plausible, but slightly awkward; I'd presumed that most people would have been tested for immunity quite young and informed of their status by their parent(s)/guardian(s). On the assumption that this hypothesis is true, it's possible that Tuuri doesn't remember being told she was immune for whatever reason. How Onni's decision to lie about it came about and played out would be an interesting tale.

Oh, I agree completely. It's one heck of a longshot, and the chances that this is actually the case are incredibly slim. I'm simply pointing out that it's definitely possible looking at both genetics and the fact that Onni is the quintessential overprotective elder sibling.

Plus it allows me to cloak my denial in a thin veneer of respectability!
Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap14:

--Languages--
Native: :usa:
Relearning: :germany:
Wishlist: :finland::france::poland::russia::southafrica:
Chance I'm Going to Actually Do It: I Can Dream, Can't I?

Coffee

• Low-effort hippie
« Reply #1996 on: January 11, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
There's something very sad looking about the new chapter cover.  Somehow even the colors seem muted and sorrowful to me???  And the way Emil (that's him right?) is kicking at the dirt... :'(

Fluent: :canada:
Sorta: :france:

:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #1997 on: January 11, 2017, 11:33:21 PM »
It's probably mikkel. Emil has white boots and only mikkel and tuuri are that uhhh 'thick'.

I doubt they'd put tuuri in charge of watch. She's literally dying.

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1998 on: January 11, 2017, 11:53:58 PM »
But it is Emil that has black backsides on his pants and sleeves, and white gloves. But yes, the boots make me think Mikkel as well but Emil did seem to have black boots on page 637 when we see him crouched on top of the tank, but of course that could just be the lightning...

Anyway the page fills me with so many sad feels >:
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #1999 on: January 12, 2017, 12:02:35 AM »
I see a contemplating Emil, probably after everyone been updated on the Tuuri situation.
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2000 on: January 12, 2017, 01:21:36 AM »
There's something very sad looking about the new chapter cover.  Somehow even the colors seem muted and sorrowful to me???  And the way Emil (that's him right?) is kicking at the dirt... :'(

Definitely Emil judging by the uniform (he's the only one who has that "front is white, back is black" thing going on), though the body type is Mikkel's. I suspect Minna changed her mind somewhere between sketching and inking about who the character will be and forgot to adjust the sketch for it. Also, if you look carefully, the character's carrying a gun, so that suggests Emil again.

I doubt they'd put tuuri in charge of watch. She's literally dying.

Whoa there we literally don't know that yet.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2001 on: January 12, 2017, 01:37:39 AM »
Definitely Emil judging by the uniform (he's the only one who has that "front is white, back is black" thing going on), though the body type is Mikkel's. I suspect Minna changed her mind somewhere between sketching and inking about who the character will be and forgot to adjust the sketch for it. Also, if you look carefully, the character's carrying a gun, so that suggests Emil again.

Whoa there we literally don't know that yet.

Tuuri is pretty much infected now. Nothing we can do to change that. It just doesn't make sense in my brain why you'd put a skald who's never fought a troll and now dying in charge of making sure nothing gets through to the tank.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2002 on: January 12, 2017, 01:42:45 AM »
As others have said, it's possible that her wound is a gunshot and not a troll bite. I think (though I'm no expert) that in this case, the bullet might be sterile due to the heat even though it passed through the troll. Even if it is a bite, infection might not be 100% guaranteed even at contact with a source of infection (this is the case with real life viruses too). To some degree, the body can protect itself even against very dangerous things.

And personally I'm sure the character on the cover is Emil, so she's not in charge of anything either way.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:45:06 AM by Sc0ut »

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2003 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:04 AM »
As others have said, it's possible that her wound is a gunshot and not a troll bite. I think (though I'm no expert) that in this case, the bullet might be sterile due to the heat even though it passed through the troll. Even if it is a bite, infection might not be 100% guaranteed even at contact with a source of infection (this is the case with real life viruses too). To some degree, the body can protect itself even against very dangerous things.

As a man of firearms. I can safely say that the heat on a bullet would not kill the bacteria of troll blood.

Also the size of lallis rifle caliber. She shouldn't have a shoulder anymore. Just a bunch of splattered meat.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:53:15 AM by MR_PLINKETT »

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2004 on: January 12, 2017, 01:57:05 AM »
Okay, but it still remains that not all exposure to infectious things always gets you sick (though it is, of course, a risky gamble). And that's not even taking into account the theory that Tuuri might be actually immune. It's a comic that contains magic after all, you can't draw conclusions like you would in real life, especially since the illness seems to be at least partly magic in nature.

Also @ rifle size, I don't know if you've noticed but the author is not anywhere near into weapons. Not saying this to put her down, but she doesn't even research the correct size and firing position for guns, why do you expect her to know or take into account what impact a certain caliber weapon would have at a certain distance? You probably know these things naturally if you work with guns often, but the rest of us have to research it carefully if we're to get it right, and sometimes it's hard to know WHAT to research.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:01:19 AM by Sc0ut »

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #2005 on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:59 AM »
Okay, but it still remains that not all exposure to infectious things always gets you sick (though it is, of course, a risky gamble). And that's not even taking into account the theory that Tuuri might be actually immune. It's a comic that contains magic after all, you can't draw conclusions like you would in real life, especially since the illness seems to be at least partly magic in nature.
Yep, the rash always seemed Metaphysical in a way.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2006 on: January 12, 2017, 02:00:40 AM »
As others have said, it's possible that her wound is a gunshot and not a troll bite.

I'm fairly sure that you can trace the path of Lalli's bullet in one of the panels (I'm at work and can't look at the exact one right now, but it's just after the troll gets shot and has both Tuuri and Reynir in it).

There's a notch in the upper bunk, which points towards a splat on the wall, which I'm interpreting as where the bullet scored the bunk and them impacted.

Sadly it passes nowhere near Tuuri :(
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2007 on: January 12, 2017, 02:08:33 AM »
Purple Wyrm, thanks for pointing that out! I missed that when I first saw the page. I see there are slashes on the upper mattress too, it's probably what saved Reynir of the same fate.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2008 on: January 12, 2017, 03:32:52 AM »
Yeah, I read the damage to mattress and wall as a blocked troll slash + bullet damage. And while my own experience with guns is from hunting rather than military, I think Mr Plinkett is right that any significant bullet wound would have done more damage to Tuuri's shoulder (plus I doubt she would still be standing), and any ricochet that clipped her enough to draw blood but not make a major wound would still have torn up her coat a lot more. Combination of coat still fairly intact and wound bad enough to draw blood but not remove her shoulder suggests to me more likely a slash from the teeth or even more probably the talons of the troll.

Sc0ut has a good point about Minna and guns. Minna herself has said that she is not deeply learned in the subject. And we don't yet know much about the actual infecting organism(s) responsible for the rash, other than that magic is probably involved in some way. If, for instance the infecting agent is a prion rather than, say, a bacterium, we know those can survive cooking, so might well survive a tiny fraction of a second at bullet heat.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2009 on: January 12, 2017, 06:28:54 AM »

Why is this even a discussion? It's obviously Mikkel, I doubt Minna has made it vague on purpose and I also doubt she "changed her mind". Sure, Mikkel doesn't carry weapons often, but it's not impossible.
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: