Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392235 times)

Vafhudr

• Ranger
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1950 on: January 06, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
Mikkel is one of the most mysterious in the group (in that he is so....normal). I mean, yes, he's been fired a lot, but he still seems better socially adjusted, he has a more well-rounded education than any of the others, he has good family instincts, and so on. I hadn't really pondered it to much, but now your comment has me wondering: What exactly does he want out of this trip/life in general?

Money. Perhaps not fame and fortune, but having no stable jobs and ever dwindling prospects due to his track record it's probably either this or going back to farming for Mikkel.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Aileil

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • As a compass, I would always point due 'home'.
« Reply #1951 on: January 06, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
Money. Perhaps not fame and fortune, but having no stable jobs and ever dwindling prospects due to his track record it's probably either this or going back to farming for Mikkel.
You may be right, he does seem to appreciate getting in on the action now and then, even if he is the cautious/level-headed one. You probably don't get too much action farming.  :)
Forward, ho! (or, as my brother likes to say "growth mindset").

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #1952 on: January 06, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »
Mikkel is one of the most mysterious in the group (in that he is so....normal). I mean, yes, he's been fired a lot, but he still seems better socially adjusted, he has a more well-rounded education than any of the others, he has good family instincts, and so on. I hadn't really pondered it to much, but now your comment has me wondering: What exactly does he want out of this trip/life in general?

There is a theory- don't recall who originated it- that Mikkel is actually an agent of the Nordic Council. The Danish James Bond, if you will.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1953 on: January 06, 2017, 08:11:39 PM »
The guy must really hate farming then, if he's willing to head into the Silent World with a handful of oddballs. Especially after the defeat of the entire Danish military effort. Especially since he's worked as a field medic. Mikkel is the only one who went out of his own free will and who is neither naive or battle-crazy.

Eh, maybe you're right. But he does seem to be very interested in the possibility of a cure - he took a lot of interest in that book of medical records, and he was the guy who left the two non-immune kids alone in the tank while searching for the serum in Copenhagen, on his own and without mentioning it to anyone. I suspect that the idea of finding a cure was the whole reason why he agreed join to begin with.

... but Tronds reason for calling the guy up... it's not like there were flyers around, they got cherry-picked for being the right kind of idiots..

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1954 on: January 06, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »
There is a theory- don't recall who originated it- that Mikkel is actually an agent of the Nordic Council. The Danish James Bond, if you will.
I've had the same feeling for a while. Would explain his many odd jobs.

... or, he just USED to be an agent, and got fired, and finding a cure in the Silent World would restore his reputation?

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1955 on: January 06, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
The guy must really hate farming then, if he's willing to head into the Silent World with a handful of oddballs. Especially after the defeat of the entire Danish military effort. Especially since he's worked as a field medic. Mikkel is the only one who went out of his own free will and who is neither naive or battle-crazy.

Eh, maybe you're right. But he does seem to be very interested in the possibility of a cure - he took a lot of interest in that book of medical records, and he was the guy who left the two non-immune kids alone in the tank while searching for the serum in Copenhagen, on his own and without mentioning it to anyone. I suspect that the idea of finding a cure was the whole reason why he agreed join to begin with.

... but Tronds reason for calling the guy up... it's not like there were flyers around, they got cherry-picked for being the right kind of idiots..

The right kind of desperate people as well.

Not everyone is made for farming. Not everyone like getting early in the morning, deal with animals, and deal with the attendant odours and so on. His willingness to take on any job suggests to me that he has been trying to get off the farm - for what reason, I would not know. Family, maybe. Perhaps there isn't enough good land left now for him to start his own farm and he didn't inherit any of the family property.

I could also see that a reason Mikkel keeps getting in trouble is precisely because he keeps doing things on his own. He is probably a bit too independent for the taste of any organization relying on hierarchy and obedience.

As for the possibility of a cure - who wouldn't be interested in that? Mikkel probably appreciates that aspect more than anyone else as someone who has tended to the wounded and sick.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1956 on: January 06, 2017, 09:44:10 PM »
Secret agent is how I've done him in fics, with the 'constantly being fired' as his excuse for having to suddenly be somewhere else with no warning, when he finishes a job or is reassigned. Read the character profiles of Trond and Taru, way back in the early days of the comic, and you'll see why I figured they were running Mikkel. 'Pursue something more interesting', forsooth. Several of the other writers have done similar with him. He says he isn't a doctor, so my bet is on some kind of behind-the-scenes researcher, possibly blackmailed into the trip, possibly there by his own choice.

We'll see how Minna writes him.

And as for Tuuri, might be that by the time the tank is repaired and they have tried whatever they try on Tuuri herself, they arrive at the rendezvous point just in time to see the ship hull-down on the horizon, having been called back, or avoiding a leviathan, or refusing to take aboard a potential troll, or whatever.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Aileil

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • As a compass, I would always point due 'home'.
« Reply #1957 on: January 07, 2017, 02:39:26 AM »
Secret agent is how I've done him in fics
A) It would be awesome if he were a secret agent. (I love secret agents generally, but find many of them to be horrible people personally, but I love Mikkel).
B) I would like to take a look at one of your fics in the near-ish future. What are they called/where might I find them easily?
C) If he were to play Pandemic, I see him as either the Researcher or the Coordinator (though he'd grump a bit about taking the latter role).
D) Crossing fingers for Turri's solution, yikes.
Forward, ho! (or, as my brother likes to say "growth mindset").

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1958 on: January 07, 2017, 02:56:09 AM »
B) I would like to take a look at one of your fics in the near-ish future. What are they called/where might I find them easily?
Look here.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1959 on: January 07, 2017, 03:09:45 AM »
There are a few in the Scriptorium here on the Forum, under Róisín, and on Archive of our own under 'Tanist'. The story there is called 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets'. It's way back in the early days of the thread. LooNEY DAC has explored similar themes in some of his stories, as have a few other authors. You might find some of those in Lazy 8's Fan Fiction Index? Try there under the heading for Mikkel-Centric stories.

Edit: 'The All-Encompassing Fan-Fiction Index'.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:12:12 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1960 on: January 07, 2017, 07:31:24 AM »
There are a few in the Scriptorium here on the Forum, under Róisín, and on Archive of our own under 'Tanist'. The story there is called 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets'. It's way back in the early days of the thread. LooNEY DAC has explored similar themes in some of his stories, as have a few other authors. You might find some of those in Lazy 8's Fan Fiction Index? Try there under the heading for Mikkel-Centric stories.

Edit: 'The All-Encompassing Fan-Fiction Index'.

Might be easier to look stuff by author, actually, since all the stats are listed under author entries.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1961 on: January 07, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »
Might be easier to look stuff by author, actually, since all the stats are listed under author entries.

True, IF you remember the author, but the original query wondered who had posited Mikkel as a secret agent, so checking for Mikkel-centric stories would be the option for that search.  Hence the delight of all the ways you've sliced-n-diced the data.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

|Yucca|

« Reply #1962 on: January 08, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »
I have mixed feeling about the ending page of this chapter. The panels showing the night turning into a sunrise surely looks cool, but on the other hand, we are completely left out of seeing Mikkel's, Sigrun's and Emil's first reactions to the situation inside the cat-tank. Something I personally really would've wanted to see.
I barely survived:
:chap5:  :book2:  :book3:  :book4:
:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1963 on: January 08, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »
I have mixed feeling about the ending page of this chapter. The panels showing the night turning into a sunrise surely looks cool, but on the other hand, we are completely left out of seeing Mikkel's, Sigrun's and Emil's first reactions to the situation inside the cat-tank. Something I personally really would've wanted to see.

Same. Regardless whether the troll or Lalli injured Tuuri, it's a very, very important moment for the team (and if it is the troll, doubly so). No mixed feelings here, I'm straight up disappointed.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1964 on: January 08, 2017, 06:31:14 PM »
I mean, we just got to watch the death of Sleipnope.

The night has ended. The battle is over. We have seen the casualties. The ramifications will have to wait for the next chapter.