Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392371 times)

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1935 on: January 05, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »
It occurs to me:

Even if standard protocol is to kill infected people immediately: they can't.

If she's still going to be Tuuri for a few days, they desperately need her to, while she still can, help with repairing the cattank and try to transmit as much mechanic's knowledge and language translation as she possibly can, before (barring their finding a cure, which I very much hope will be the way out of this) she becomes incapacitated.

(I had an additional thought on this; but I posted it in the Character Development: Tuuri thread.)

Oh you’re right, as soon as Tuuri goes into coma because of the illness the only way to communicate with Lalli will be through his (very) limited Swedish. If Lalli felt alone before, how isn't he going to feel until they manage to save Tuuri.
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1936 on: January 05, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
Oh you’re right, as soon as Tuuri goes into coma because of the illness the only way to communicate with Lalli will be through his (very) limited Swedish. If Lalli felt alone before, how isn't he going to feel until they manage to save Tuuri.

Lalli can communicate with Reynir in the dreamspace, but I don't see him wanting to, especially in grief.  It's also not that useful for scouting, as they can't bring the maps in there with them. 

But yes, Tuuri will be needed for her mechanical abilities while they still have her available.  This is another impetus to not apply the serum immediately.  She is Finnish, showing considerable sisu here for the moment (perhaps indistinguishable from shock), and I can see the practicality coming to the fore.

Still, chapter break, now?!?  Nuuuu...
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #1937 on: January 05, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
Still, chapter break, now?!?

I had almost managed to forget about that author's comment.

Yeah, that's going to be a hard one.

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #1938 on: January 05, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »
I had almost managed to forget about that author's comment.

Yeah, that's going to be a hard one.

Idk, Minna hasn't talked about breaks nor dates yet, maybe it will be a short one (PLEASE!)
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #1939 on: January 06, 2017, 12:11:02 PM »
We'll still really deserve that chapter break survivor band (in yellow and violet gray, I think?)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1940 on: January 06, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »
Oh you’re right, as soon as Tuuri goes into coma because of the illness the only way to communicate with Lalli will be through his (very) limited Swedish.
Actually it seems to me that Mikkel's on top of everyday radio operating, which would allow for (crew) <--> Mikkel <-(radio)-> Trond/Siv/Torbjörn <--> Taru <-(radio)-> Lalli, even if Tuuri and Onni were incapacitated.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Gaemmel

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1941 on: January 06, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
The last page nearly broke my heart, but when I heard there were two pages left to go until we go on a break, for... I mean, how long do these breaks usually last? At least two weeks, I would suppose?
How will we surive this?
I'm the left one on the picture.

Fluent: :germany: :uk:
In school I had: :france: :spain:
Some words and phrases: :japan:
Learning: :sweden:

:chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1942 on: January 06, 2017, 12:51:43 PM »
Easily.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1943 on: January 06, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
This page? This page was the worst. Q_Q Like, I am a cold and emotionless sadist when it comes to comics. Sometimes I chuckle a little, or when Tuuri got injured I kind of got a little worried then just moved on to the next thing in my life. Yeah, I'm the kind of coldhearted persion who didn't cry from a story since watching Lassie. THIS page? It's the first time I've been seriously unsettled by god damned freaking comic page.

And then in the stillness, the creature who were once many remembered.
It remembered the waiting, that had never ended. The hope that had flickered out over the course of what felt like lifetimes, and the rotting of the world that told it that nothing, and no one were left to help them.
But the worst thing was the images. The old ones. From before. They flickered like bats under streetlights, there in an instant and gone the next - images of loved faces, of whom they once were and of the sun, the precious, precious sunlight. They had covered them with fear and contempt, and with anger. There had been so much anger. Anger was good - it had distracted from the anguish. But all of that had been seared away, by harsh fire, by the sun that forced them to SEE, what they had tried their damnest to forget. They felt the crushed hope in their hearts again, and reached - feebly, desperately - for the ghostly images that re-surfaced, as if they could somehow re-claim that old life without the pain.

And a faint realization whispered in the back of their minds. Yes, they had followed the living out of hunger. The hunger was good - it distracted from the anguish. But they realized, in the midst of their remembering, that there had been a flicker of hope. The one with the braid. And the stealthy one. They reminded them of something intangible, something Beyond, something that should have been their birthright. Was it peace? They didn't know, and that had made it worse.

The fire had burned away all the good things. The anger and the hunger. Even the fear. And there was only the anguish, at bottomless as the night.

A faint static cracked the air. Once, it would have been a voice, and it slashed through the silence. It clicked for a moment. Before they remembered words. They spoke to the darkness, and the void. Called out to mothers and fathers, spouses, friends, even the faint recognition of themselves, to whomever appeared in the silvers they remembered. They spoke to a God that had forsaken them all.
".... help. Help me. Is there anybody there. "
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:47:38 PM by Fauna »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1944 on: January 06, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
Fauna, would you care to put that in the Scriptorium? I'ts a rather fine little vignette.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #1945 on: January 06, 2017, 04:22:25 PM »
I'm starting to get curious about what kind of info page(s) we are going to get. With all these theories about Reynir actually being immune I've seen lately, I think this would be a good time to tell us how immunity is tested for. Not only to calm dow the theories, but decause the thing is such an important element in terms of career perspectives in this world. The trait is recessive, so it can't be deduced entirely from the status of the parents. And even if that was possible to an extent, they would still have been needed to test the status somewhere in the family line.

Also, I thought of something: if Tuuri ends up being saved by some kind of complete cure, she'll be the first person to be cured (for real, not slow brain death style), in history of humankind, and that would mean the crew will coming back with something REALLY impressive under their belts.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1946 on: January 06, 2017, 04:47:31 PM »
if Tuuri ends up being saved by some kind of complete cure, she'll be the first person to be cured (for real, not slow brain death style), in history of humankind, and that would mean the crew will coming back with something REALLY impressive under their belts.
Which is a problem because if they'ld return rich and famous and whatnot, there wouldn't be any more incentive for them to go out into the Silent World, which runs afoul of Minnas plans to have them live through several more story arcs. ;)

From that perspective, it'ld be much better if Tuuris cure worked along the lines of "for the rest of your life, once a year, you need to find a troll who has never met a human since it turned, and eat it raw."  O_o
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1947 on: January 06, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
Which is a problem because if they'ld return rich and famous and whatnot, there wouldn't be any more incentive for them to go out into the Silent World, which runs afoul of Minnas plans to have them live through several more story arcs. ;)

From that perspective, it'ld be much better if Tuuris cure worked along the lines of "for the rest of your life, once a year, you need to find a troll who has never met a human since it turned, and eat it raw."  O_o
Being rich and famous wasn't their incentive, though. Neither was finding a cure. Well, except for Emil, of course. But Lalli and Reynir didn't even want to be there. Sigrun went because she thought it'd be fun. And Tuuri just wanted to see the world a little bit, and has been plenty disillusioned in the past few pages. Who knows why Mikkel signed up, maybe for the medical knowledge of the Old World? But he doesn't strike me as the "fame and fortune" kind of guy.

So it's not a problem. They'd just go looking for other interesting things. Plenty of books left in the Old World... maybe next time they'll be commissioned to find books that are actually useful rather than just expensive.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1948 on: January 06, 2017, 06:06:36 PM »

No no. It's fine.

They will have only enough to cure Tuuri - but Tuuri will be the proof of concept they need to venture forth back into the silent world and investigate thoroughly the lead they have found.

They are on a timer now. Not only do they need to cure Tuuri, but they have to cure her AND make it back to their extraction point in time before they are left stranded in the Silent World.

Finding something resembling a cure will be just enough to justify a second, real expedition - perhaps with real funding this time!
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Aileil

• Super-Newbie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • As a compass, I would always point due 'home'.
« Reply #1949 on: January 06, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »
Lalli and Reynir didn't even want to be there. Sigrun went because she thought it'd be fun. And Tuuri just wanted to see the world a little bit, and has been plenty disillusioned in the past few pages. Who knows why Mikkel signed up, maybe for the medical knowledge of the Old World? But he doesn't strike me as the "fame and fortune" kind of guy.

Mikkel is one of the most mysterious in the group (in that he is so....normal). I mean, yes, he's been fired a lot, but he still seems better socially adjusted, he has a more well-rounded education than any of the others, he has good family instincts, and so on. I hadn't really pondered it to much, but now your comment has me wondering: What exactly does he want out of this trip/life in general?
Forward, ho! (or, as my brother likes to say "growth mindset").