Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392271 times)

JacobThomsen

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1665 on: October 20, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
through some form of reproduction.
Trolls that can reproduce, well at least now I'll know what my nightmares are gonna be about tonight.
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1666 on: October 20, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
...thanks Vafhudr... that was a whole ball of nope and squick I never had thought about... and now I need to go find the mind bleach... again.

That's three times this week along.. between this and the rumors surrounding clinton and Huma having a..... relationship......Yeah have fun with that mental image.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #1667 on: October 20, 2016, 11:35:47 PM »
It rather seems like they only come by infecting mammals, nothing else.

*Hands JacobThomsen and Solokov cookies and brain bleach blanket*
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1668 on: October 21, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
Down in the U.S. in the west, generally our population centers are where potable water was in large quantities, and while there was decent ag land around, the majority of our high production agriculture land isn't near those cities and we've got a stupidly complex water delivery system for it all. Lots of smaller towns spread out across the rural areas. And then the air bases are built even further out from the population centers.

Now the east coast is an overbuilt mess and a death-trap.. then again that's my assessment of LA, San Francisco and Sacramento as well.

Having grown up near Boston and now lived in rural Oregon for more than 15 years, I heartily agree with this assessment.

ETA: My avatar seems to have been uploaded upside down. Does anyone know how I can fix it? Or should I ask else-forum?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:21:21 AM by Jharad17 »
Native:  :usa:
Tourist level:  :germany:  and. :france:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #1669 on: October 21, 2016, 12:14:09 AM »
Just to clarify: am I right that all the information we're getting from the flashback, Mikkel's supposed to be getting from the notes he's reading?

-- and I notice something about the composition of the group around the table. There's only one woman in the group; she's clearly not one of the decision makers, speaks as if she expects to be ignored, and her input is indeed ignored.

Minna's Year 90 world doesn't work like that. Is she making a deliberate contrast here?

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1670 on: October 21, 2016, 12:22:49 AM »
Just to clarify: am I right that all the information we're getting from the flashback, Mikkel's supposed to be getting from the notes he's reading?
Yes, probably it is. we cann't say for sure until we don't see today's update, but at least it's looks like

-- and I notice something about the composition of the group around the table. There's only one woman in the group; she's clearly not one of the decision makers, speaks as if she expects to be ignored, and her input is indeed ignored.
Minna's Year 90 world doesn't work like that. Is she making a deliberate contrast here?
I don't think that everyone deliberately ignored her. She is one of the scientists and as we have seen - a few of them said anything. And military mens have always loved to ignore womens, especially in situations like this. Sad, but true з:
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1671 on: October 21, 2016, 12:26:04 AM »

That is my impression, though I don't know how or why minutes would exist of the last two pages.

This is also my impression, though I had not thought of it till you mentioned it. Thanks for the brain food!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #1672 on: October 21, 2016, 01:17:38 AM »
I feel really bad for Siv after seeing her expression in the third panel. As if a lifetime of disappointment in searching for a cure or vaccine hasn't been enough for her . .

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

JacobThomsen

• Is currently trying to develop flammable lemons
  • Preferred pronouns: Him/he
« Reply #1673 on: October 21, 2016, 04:10:36 AM »
I feel really bad for Siv after seeing her expression in the third panel. As if a lifetime of disappointment in searching for a cure or vaccine hasn't been enough for her . .
Yeah she probably hope she could be the one to hand it to her old boss with a smug smile on her face.

I wonder where this military base the crew is suppose to get to is. Since it is only a few days travel away and there is no mentioning of crossing another bridge it has to be somewhere in the northern parts of Fyn.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:18:44 AM by JacobThomsen »
Native: :denmark:
Fluent (more or less): :uk:
If I have to (but please don't make me): :germany:
Somewhat understands: :norway: :sweden:

:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #1674 on: October 21, 2016, 04:47:41 AM »
Random thought while thinking about this week's pages - why of all people are the Danes working on a vaccine? Surely it should be an international effort led by the CDC.

And then I realised. There is no international any more. Odense probably doesn't even have contact with Brussels, let alone across the Atlantic.

So, so grim.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Possib

« Reply #1675 on: October 21, 2016, 05:46:06 AM »
And then I realised. There is no international any more. Odense probably doesn't even have contact with Brussels, let alone across the Atlantic.

You know how an apocalypse works, right? Look at the last panel, they don't have contact with three blocks away

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1676 on: October 21, 2016, 09:15:26 AM »

That's a complete misreading of the situation and I don't think Minna is making any point. In fact, I doubt much thought was put into the composition, let alone an attempt at making a contrast.

The only order here is a descending order of optimism: we can do it in one week. We can perhaps do it - if we have another month - and finally, on the other side of the scale of pessimism - whatever we do, it won't work. Nothing they have tried work, what will another month or two add to that?

This comment is even more puzzling in that, insofar as I can tell, the four-star general follows this opinion - or rather, combines all the opinion: he gives a delay to allow for the off-chance they can do something in the next week or month, but also readies the use of what they already have. On the other hand, he has no illusion that it will work. Nor does he seem particularly hopeful that the delay he is giving will be of any help. They have already lost. Their new miracle cure is nothing but an abridgment of suffering (physical)  - and even that he knows will have no long-term effect on the situation at hand. So, generally speaking, the opinion that prevailed from that meeting IS that of the lady scientist. It won't work. Regardless. 1 week. 2 week. 2 months. 90 years. No solution will change the situation. They fully acknowledge that and move on and do it regardless because they have no other options.

@ Jethan

No quite. Animals generate very clear beast-type monsters. I have in mind the trolls that have no obvious human template behind them like the snow facehugger. How did that thing come about?

@ Purple Wyrm
Please. It's not like Brussels would be of any help anyway.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1677 on: October 21, 2016, 11:49:47 AM »
That is my impression, though I don't know how or why minutes would exist of the last two pages.

It's common and meetings of all sorts to have notes sent out afterwards so that knowledge isn't lost.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #1678 on: October 21, 2016, 03:01:29 PM »
That's a complete misreading of the situation and I don't think Minna is making any point. In fact, I doubt much thought was put into the composition, let alone an attempt at making a contrast.

You might be right, in that I don't know Minna's intent and she may just have drawn a year 0 boardroom with almost all men in it, and the men making all the decisions, either without thinking about it, or by pure chance; despite the fact that we've seen no such situation in year 90. But I'm surprised by how absolutely certain you're able to feel about it.

This comment is even more puzzling in that [ . . . ] the opinion that prevailed from that meeting IS that of the lady scientist.

Not really. Her opinion seems to be 'it won't work so don't use it.' She starts to take the failed serum away with her, and is stopped. The person who decides to actually act, by putting the serum into production, is the one who prevailed; and he doesn't seem to be agreeing with her.

It's true that the general sense of the final panels is 'nothing will work.' But there's no sign that this is in response to her comment. Her comment was ignored at the time that she made it, and is shown in smaller type than the others -- which I took as possibly meaning that she doesn't expect to be heard in any case and so isn't bothering to speak up, though it's possible that the smaller type is only meant to express discouragement.

As far as the Friday page: are we to presume that Mikkel doesn't know the serum may have been used in any case (that not having been in the papers he read), or that he thinks it's only important that it wasn't a cure and so didn't report to the others that it may have been used despite because of apparently stopping the rash (though without saving lives), or that he did give the others this information but they all think the only thing that matters is that it wasn't a cure?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:07:50 PM by thorny »

Jharad17

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1679 on: October 21, 2016, 05:00:29 PM »
It's common and meetings of all sorts to have notes sent out afterwards so that knowledge isn't lost.

Right, I know, but neither of the last two Generals seemed to writing anything down, and I can't think of any reason they would want anyone else to know what they were just saying about nothing to be done, it's over. For morale purposes if nothing else.