Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392200 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1605 on: October 05, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »
Congratulations, Reynir. You made a... lighter.

I think it's more along the lines of the ghosts overpowering the rune. It can't keep them back, thus it burns.

Though it would be hilarious if it actually was a fire-starting spell...
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1606 on: October 05, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »
It clearly needs to be carved in stone to work. Paper is a poor medium for spell work because it easily catches fire.

Granted now I'm considering alternate uses for this rune, possibly for forge welding metal.

this may require more testing.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1607 on: October 05, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
It clearly needs to be carved in stone to work. Paper is a poor medium for spell work because it easily catches fire.

Granted now I'm considering alternate uses for this rune, possibly for forge welding metal.

Actually, that makes sense...clearly, magical rune glows involve heat being made, like any lightbulb, so you'd have to carve them into a non-flammable substance....
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1608 on: October 05, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »

Actually, that makes sense...clearly, magical rune glows involve heat being made, like any lightbulb, so you'd have to carve them into a non-flammable substance....
Hmm, yes. I wonder what would happen if he scratched a rune in plastic or glass: would the material melt? Would it simply not work at all because the gods would reject the material the rune was written on? How about metal? Would copper conduct magical energy like electricity? Does magic even work like that?
I also wonder what would have happened had he actually painted the rune in blood. Would it have been more useful, or just more gross? :P
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1609 on: October 05, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
Hmm, yes. I wonder what would happen if he scratched a rune in plastic or glass: would the material melt? Would it simply not work at all because the gods would reject the material the rune was written on? How about metal? Would copper conduct magical energy like electricity? Does magic even work like that?
I also wonder what would have happened had he actually painted the rune in blood. Would it have been more useful, or just more gross? :P

If it did, I think what we'd see of Iceland would be a distinctly more magitech society...or maybe Sweden would work that way.

Spoiler: rampant speculation • show

Given how magic seems to be based in belief, maybe Swedish magic is what makes stuff like the Dalahasten and the cleanser tools work properly? 'Faith' in science and engineering might prove powerful enough to override defects in manufacturing that would inevitably result from a post-apoc society...
just realized I basically compared Sweden to WH40K Orks....

VibratingText

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #1610 on: October 05, 2016, 10:21:36 PM »
If it did, I think what we'd see of Iceland would be a distinctly more magitech society...or maybe Sweden would work that way.

Spoiler: rampant speculation • show

Given how magic seems to be based in belief, maybe Swedish magic is what makes stuff like the Dalahasten and the cleanser tools work properly? 'Faith' in science and engineering might prove powerful enough to override defects in manufacturing that would inevitably result from a post-apoc society...
just realized I basically compared Sweden to WH40K Orks....

They should paint it with troll blood then. You know, to make it go faster.
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Native: :usa:
Tolerable: :germany:
Still Learning: :italy:
n00b at: :russia: :norway: :japan:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1611 on: October 05, 2016, 10:25:31 PM »
They should paint it with troll blood then. You know, to make it go faster.

I believe the Dalahasten saws can fulfill this function, given a breach in the fence and a sufficiently acrobatic troll.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1612 on: October 05, 2016, 11:33:35 PM »
I believe the Dalahasten saws can fulfill this function, given a breach in the fence and a sufficiently acrobatic troll.

But there's no fence around the Dalahasten, hence the need for the saws. That's the regular commuter railways that have the Jurassic park style fencing.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1613 on: October 06, 2016, 12:05:38 AM »
Traditionally, the base material for runes doesn't have to be solid, just appropriate to the spell. There are some which are carved into ice or drawn in air, and yes, also on paper or parchment. But like the Ogham letters with which I am more familiar, most runes are intended to be carved into, or painted onto, something more substantial. Healing runes, for example, could be carved into a slip of birchwood and either placed in the hand or under the pillow of the sick person, or carved directly into their thumbnails.

Runes can also be engraved into the metal of a weapon or tool, carved into the door, lintel or foundations of a building, carved or painted on a container to affect whatever is in it, and so forth. For example, a grain chest might be marked with runes against decay or to keep mice out. Our local Ásatru godi has a meadhorn used for communal feasts, which he has carved with the runes for peace, accord and good fellowship - very necessary, his folk are a rambunctious lot!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1614 on: October 06, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »
so you'd have to carve them into a non-flammable substance....
To the contrary. Hand Reynir a paintbrush and let him write that rune right onto the ghosts while they're still un-armed!

Aaaaaah it burns get it off GETITOFF!
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1615 on: October 06, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
To the contrary. Hand Reynir a paintbrush and let him write that rune right onto the ghosts while they're still un-armed!

Aaaaaah it burns get it off GETITOFF!

If you really just need to have the runes stuck to the ghost to have them work, you just have to carry a little spirit gum.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1616 on: October 06, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
Y'know, it occurs to me that Sigrun's ready dispatching of her adversary might shed light on her poor opinion of Mikkel's battling skills and her characterization of the non-immunes as "helpless babies".

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1617 on: October 06, 2016, 09:38:36 PM »
Mikkel is definitely getting another scratch in her book for that little stunt.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

VibratingText

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #1618 on: October 06, 2016, 10:56:58 PM »
Oh! Right!

Oh Sigrun. :sigrun:
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Native: :usa:
Tolerable: :germany:
Still Learning: :italy:
n00b at: :russia: :norway: :japan:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1619 on: October 11, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »
Well giving Emil a charm that catches fire could have been a whole lot more dangerous and destructive than it needed to be.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...