Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392200 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1410 on: September 08, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
It's Odense University Hospital, which is where the labels on the syringes Mikkel found said that the 'cure ' came from. That's why they came so far, looking for a cure. Even if it's not perfect, Mikkel and the base team back in Mora think it might be a jumping-off point for finding a real cure.

As to deep puncture wounds, in my own experience they take weeks to months to heal, and hurt for some while after that. Then, I wouldn't know about troll bites! But I heal quite fast, and have only experienced such hurts from the bites of a large dog, and from splintered wood, both of which would be clean in comparison. I wonder whether Sigrun has somehow managed to conceal an injury or infection from Mikkel? Can't quite see how, but it would fit with how she is acting.

That's exactly what's been driving me crazy: how could she hide something like this from the medic who's been treating her wounds on a daily basis? Does anyone here with medical expertise (so not me) know anything about subcutaneous infection that takes hold in the interior of a wound but wouldn't necessary be visible on the surface? Is this a thing?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #1411 on: September 08, 2016, 07:41:31 PM »
That's exactly what's been driving me crazy: how could she hide something like this from the medic who's been treating her wounds on a daily basis? Does anyone here with medical expertise (so not me) know anything about subcutaneous infection that takes hold in the interior of a wound but wouldn't necessary be visible on the surface? Is this a thing?

I do not have such expertise, but I wonder: Sigrun hasn't really taken great care of her bandages. Even one day after she got the wound, she had the bandages undone and her arm gets thoroughly abused during her fight with the sjodraug. Then it's in a sling, and we do see Mikkel treating it while the scars are still pretty fresh. Then we have the time skip, after which she still has the sling but we don't know otherwise what's been going on with the injury.

I am definitely concerned about her not telling Mikkel that it still hurts.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #1412 on: September 08, 2016, 08:00:50 PM »
I'm going to be a heretic and suggest that there's nothing wrong with her arm. The stars when she took off the sling was just her working the kinks out.

I could well be proved wrong :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1413 on: September 08, 2016, 08:42:31 PM »
I'm going to be a heretic and suggest that there's nothing wrong with her arm. The stars when she took off the sling was just her working the kinks out.

I mean yes, but murphy's law and all. This is the kind of set up that begs for her arm to just mess up while shooting or fisticuffing.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

VibratingText

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #1414 on: September 08, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
I do not have such expertise, but I wonder: Sigrun hasn't really taken great care of her bandages. Even one day after she got the wound, she had the bandages undone and her arm gets thoroughly abused during her fight with the sjodraug. Then it's in a sling, and we do see Mikkel treating it while the scars are still pretty fresh. Then we have the time skip, after which she still has the sling but we don't know otherwise what's been going on with the injury.

I am definitely concerned about her not telling Mikkel that it still hurts.

Klingon Norwegian warriors don't complain about pain.
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Native: :usa:
Tolerable: :germany:
Still Learning: :italy:
n00b at: :russia: :norway: :japan:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1415 on: September 08, 2016, 08:51:15 PM »

Papa nurgle approves of this heresey.

Also he might approve of all the yellowgreen bile looking stuff coating the floors.

*suspects trolls hidden in hazmat suits in the next room*
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1416 on: September 08, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
I'm not a medic, but have some practical experience, and yeah, deep subcutaneous infections are a thing. Tetanus, for example, and some forms of staph. Various anaerobic bacteria, mostly nasty. If that is the case, Sigrun may be feeling general malaise, mental fogging, maybe a slight fever......which could get a lot worse, quickly, once her normal inhuman vitality runs down - say for example if she is wounded again, or gets really hypothermic or exhausted, or majorly stressed out, or catches the 'flu....
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1417 on: September 08, 2016, 09:31:26 PM »
Like others mentioned, it's the OUH complex.

We also know where they entered the hospital complex. The entrance seen on page 589 and the next page is quite clearly the main entrance on the west side of the main building.

Google Streetview link

I went and tried to do a thing with this.

I'm not a medic, but have some practical experience, and yeah, deep subcutaneous infections are a thing. Tetanus, for example, and some forms of staph. Various anaerobic bacteria, mostly nasty. If that is the case, Sigrun may be feeling general malaise, mental fogging, maybe a slight fever......which could get a lot worse, quickly, once her normal inhuman vitality runs down - say for example if she is wounded again, or gets really hypothermic or exhausted, or majorly stressed out, or catches the 'flu....

Welp, that's good to know. *face in hands* Oh Sigrun, why do you have to go and do this to yourself?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1418 on: September 08, 2016, 10:39:23 PM »
I mean, to be fair to Sigrun, considering how she looked in the panel that introduced her, I feel like getting banged up is just part of the routine for her. Heck, if you don't get wounded in battle, clearly you weren't trying hard enough.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1419 on: September 10, 2016, 08:53:52 PM »
Technically not a comic update, but Minna has posted this on tumblr and twitter. It'll probably be included in Monday's update, I'm guessing.

Meet Ensi Hotakainen, previously known only as Grandma Hotakainen:
http://sssscomic.tumblr.com/post/150229489615/nope-its-not-lalli-drawn-as-a-middle-aged-woman

Minna's description:

Nope, it’s not Lalli drawn as a middle aged woman, it is….

…Lalli’s, Tuuri’s and Onni’s grandmother, Ensi Hotakainen! Daughter of Saku and Aino Hotakainen. Depicted in her “youth”, aka not as a 90 year old. Somewhere in her 40′s, maybe?

That is Lall’s rifle, though.

~

I’ll probably end up drawing some relatives of the other cast members too in the coming weeks, this was fun.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1420 on: September 10, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
She is more or less what I expected.

Rykka

« Reply #1421 on: September 10, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »
I am intrigued by her outfit which seems somewhere between fading Y0 fashion and the Y90 styles we see on the main cast...

VibratingText

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #1422 on: September 10, 2016, 11:30:17 PM »
> 90
> over 90

HOL UP

False alarm, she wasn't on the bugout boat in the prolouge. Which raises the question, how familiar would she be with the Old World?
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Native: :usa:
Tolerable: :germany:
Still Learning: :italy:
n00b at: :russia: :norway: :japan:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1423 on: September 10, 2016, 11:44:26 PM »
Probably not that much. Since if we presume that they grew up in a cabin in the woods, there wouldn't be that many references to the old world beyond what her parent told her about it and maybe a bunch of artifacts. Like, that could entail that she knew quite a bit, but not much of it was first hand experience. By the time she was an adult, I would think post Y0 culture could have been developing already. 

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1424 on: September 11, 2016, 01:18:32 AM »
She may even have grown up on the boat. I had wondered whether, having transport and supplies, they might not have spent the first few years as traders between survivor colonies on the Saimaa islands, then lived on the moored or grounded boat once the fuel ran out. And I'm sure that Veeti, at least, might have told her a bit about the old world, even as the adults were putting it behind them.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!