Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392346 times)

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1230 on: August 04, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »
Is this a cultural thing or what? I've seen a lot of discussion about this in the comment section of the page too and it puzzles me. Because at least here in Finland it's the definite norm to eat cake with a small spoon. As is supplying the guests with one if coffee with cake or the sort is served.

You're right, this is a cultural thing! I talked about it with a Finn and they told me they would eat cake with a small spoon. They also told me Finns usually don't even have such small forks. Apparently cakes in Finland are generally soft enough to eat with a spoon. I wouldn't eat for example apple pies with a spoon, because they're too hard, but I heard that Finnish apple pies are soft enough to eat with a spoon. So maybe this cultural difference is based on the hardness of cakes. :V (Just a mere hypothesis.)

(Here in the Netherlands, if coffee with cake is served it's the norm to supply the guests with a small spoon for the coffee (in case they want milk or sugar) and a small fork for the cake.)

But it gets even weirder!

They even told me if coffee and cake is served, the guests only get one spoon for both their coffee and cake! So they have to stir their coffee with a spoon to also eat their cake with! Barbarians! :P We'd only do that in case of emergency: when we're out of our precious small forks.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:49:49 AM by Miriam »
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1231 on: August 04, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
They even told me if coffee and cake is served, the guests only get one spoon for both their coffee and cake! So they have to stir their coffee with a spoon to also eat their cake with! Barbarians! :P

It's less to wash up!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #1232 on: August 04, 2016, 11:37:40 AM »
Is this a cultural thing or what? I've seen a lot of discussion about this in the comment section of the page too and it puzzles me. Because at least here in Finland it's the definite norm to eat cake with a small spoon. As is supplying the guests with one if coffee with cake or the sort is served.

*shrugs* I've definitely eaten cakes and pies and the like with both forks and spoons. Usually it depends on the consistency of the cake in question.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #1233 on: August 04, 2016, 11:45:36 AM »
It's less to wash up!

True. I was thinking, the Finnish might hate doing the dishes. Or something.

*shrugs* I've definitely eaten cakes and pies and the like with both forks and spoons. Usually it depends on the consistency of the cake in question.

Possible, but since at birthdays there are often several kinds of cakes, it's easier to just give all guests a fork. For example at my birthday we had apple pie and cheese cake, and the latter could be eaten with a spoon I guess but apple pie can't.
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

|Yucca|

« Reply #1234 on: August 04, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
True. I was thinking, the Finnish might hate doing the dishes. Or something.

Are you trying to say there's people who don't hate doing the dishes?
I barely survived:
:chap5:  :book2:  :book3:  :book4:
:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #1235 on: August 04, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »
Are you trying to say there's people who don't hate doing the dishes?

Well, I don't exactly hate doing the dishes, I don't really mind it. Reynir agrees.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1236 on: August 04, 2016, 02:35:28 PM »
Well, I don't exactly hate doing the dishes, I don't really mind it. Reynir agrees.

I don't much mind it either.  Not my favorite thing to do, but far from the worst.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1237 on: August 04, 2016, 07:38:38 PM »
Little forks are like fancy tier stuff. The kind of things you'll find in silverware.

For everyday convenience we've got forks, knives, spoons (for soup and cereals) and little spoons - for everything else: coffee, tea, yogourt, dessert.

So I would eat cake with a spoon. Especially if it has filling to be scooped. While a fork would be a decent option b.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #1238 on: August 04, 2016, 07:42:39 PM »
Little forks are like fancy tier stuff. The kind of things you'll find in silverware.

For everyday convenience we've got forks, knives, spoons (for soup and cereals) and little spoons - for everything else: coffee, tea, yogourt, dessert.

So I would eat cake with a spoon. Especially if it has filling to be scooped. While a fork would be a decent option b.

I wouldn't call cake an everyday food, though.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1239 on: August 04, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »
Thankfully for my waistline, neither would I.

But I wouldn't bust out the silverware for it either.

Especially not for the quality of cake made here.

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #1240 on: August 04, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »
Thankfully for my waistline, neither would I.

But I wouldn't bust out the silverware for it either.

Especially not for the quality of cake made here.

Then maybe make cake yourself! :D

My silverware is possibly less fancy than yours, because I would bust it out for cake.
Do you know what kind of silverware is really fancy? Little knifes. Those are only in high tea restaurants.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1241 on: August 04, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »
Then maybe make cake yourself! :D

My silverware is possibly less fancy than yours, because I would bust it out for cake.
Do you know what kind of silverware is really fancy? Little knifes. Those are only in high tea restaurants.

The only way to properly butter scone and apply devonshire cream is with little knives.
This is a fact.

Also yes, but that means I am then stuck with a whole cake. What a nice problem to have.

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #1242 on: August 04, 2016, 08:06:12 PM »
The only way to properly butter scone and apply devonshire cream is with little knives.
This is a fact.

Also yes, but that means I am then stuck with a whole cake. What a nice problem to have.

So do you have little knifes in your silverware for at-home use? How overly fancy :P

Right. Because I live with five (six, rather) people I don't have the problem of being stuck with food so I didn't think of that. Especially my dad just eats three-days-old pie or cake my cousin has eaten half and left the rest. Ew.

What a "nice problem" for your wasteline :P

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #1243 on: August 04, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »
So do you have little knifes in your silverware for at-home use? How overly fancy :P

Having small forks and spoons (salad forks and tea spoons is what I think they're technically called) as part of the everyday flatware is useful if your family happens to include people with small, relatively weak hands, such as children under, oh, let's say eight. They're also good as "backup" for when you've run out of regular forks and table spoons and don't feel like doing dishes.
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
« Reply #1244 on: August 04, 2016, 08:22:58 PM »
Having small forks and spoons (salad forks and tea spoons is what I think they're technically called) as part of the everyday flatware is useful if your family happens to include people with small, relatively weak hands, such as children under, oh, let's say eight. They're also good as "backup" for when you've run out of regular forks and table spoons and don't feel like doing dishes.

Hmm. The family I grew up in has, besides teaspoons and salad/cake forks, also a bit smaller flatware besides the 'adult' flatware. Those are for children, not the teaspoons and cake forks.