Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392411 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1110 on: July 25, 2016, 06:43:12 AM »
A lot of our-world traditions of magic have the concept that some dangerous creatures can kill/paralyse/take control of your mind/drive you insane if you make eye contact with them (think the Gorgon Medusa, dragons, the Sphinx and vampires, for a few). Maybe the Minnaverse Dreamworld has the same traditions?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1111 on: July 25, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »
I have the feeling Onni and Reynir don't have to put their hands in front of their eyes...
I wonder why exactly Onni thinks it's needed. Does he think the priest-mage has dangerous magic coming from her eyes?

She's wearing those glasses because she's really Cyclops from X-Men.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1112 on: July 25, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »
A lot of our-world traditions of magic have the concept that some dangerous creatures can kill/paralyse/take control of your mind/drive you insane if you make eye contact with them (think the Gorgon Medusa, dragons, the Sphinx and vampires, for a few). Maybe the Minnaverse Dreamworld has the same traditions?

Probably. The priest looks annoyed though, so I don't think it's the case for her. She must be thinking something along the lines of "Kids these days read too much sci-fi".
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

pinkie

« Reply #1113 on: July 25, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »
A lot of the uncanny valley feeling yesterday was from her eyes.  Wonder if it's significant today that there's only grey behind her glasses.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #1114 on: July 25, 2016, 11:50:37 AM »
Probably. The priest looks annoyed though, so I don't think it's the case for her. She must be thinking something along the lines of "Kids these days read too much sci-fi".

I think today's page is super adorable <3 two of our silly little mages standing around covering their eyes much to the confusion of who I'm starting to suspect is just a regular harmless old lady. Well, harmless to them at least. I feel like it's kind of a trope that pretty much in every fantasy or fantasy-esque story old people who practice magic are almost always incredibly powerful due to years of experience.

I think too that maybe people in the dream world manifest in clothing that a holy official / spiritual leader in their respective religion would wear, or at least how someone would dress who in their religion or culture is considered closer to (the) god(s)

I had this feeling before but now I'm really starting to think that someone's dream haven is reflective of somewhere that brings them peace or comfort to be. Kind of makes me wonder what my dream haven would look like . . 

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1115 on: July 25, 2016, 12:04:57 PM »
Juniper: way back in the early days of the forum there was lengthy discussion of this. I don't remember exactly where, but it was interesting.

*Edit: the thread is called 'Personal Dreamworld' and is in the main board.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:16:08 PM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1116 on: July 25, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »
I think today's page is super adorable <3 two of our silly little mages standing around covering their eyes much to the confusion of who I'm starting to suspect is just a regular harmless old lady. Well, harmless to them at least. I feel like it's kind of a trope that pretty much in every fantasy or fantasy-esque story old people who practice magic are almost always incredibly powerful due to years of experience.

As with Cohen the Barbarian, you get to an advanced age in a dangerous world because you're very, very good at what you do.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1117 on: July 25, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
She's wearing those glasses because she's really Cyclops from X-Men.
Well, having their arms in front of their eyes is going to be really helpful for Onni&Reynir, then.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2016, 02:14:13 PM »
Still in the camp of "she's harmless and onni is over-reacting". Just not picking up any sort of malice from her.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Minutia_R

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she or they
« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2016, 02:17:19 PM »
I'm still on team "Onni knows what he's doing this time."  I mean, it was bound to happen sooner or later.  But I guess we'll see!

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #1120 on: July 25, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »
I admit I'm more with Minutia_R than Solokov on this one. Sure, she looks harmless... but what is she doing here, anyway? And that creepy, uncanny-valley-ish face on the previous page... *brrr*
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1121 on: July 26, 2016, 09:40:48 AM »
I admit I'm more with Minutia_R than Solokov on this one. Sure, she looks harmless... but what is she doing here, anyway? And that creepy, uncanny-valley-ish face on the previous page... *brrr*

I'd guess she's here because it's her haven, the same way that Lalli and Onni have theirs.  And Reynir...um...he started in a boat with Cthulhund.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1122 on: July 26, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »
If not for the possible hostile setting to me she appeared just as an old lady with maybe some earnest looks - but a lot of people have this in that line of age, especially when they do not await something cheerfull to happen soon.

Weeeeeell tomorrow will show us hopefully.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1123 on: July 26, 2016, 10:24:56 PM »
Yeah no the whole line of "mage battle" was kind of built on earlier impression of the dream domain. But since it was shown as sunlit now I can only think that this might be an actual person not too far from them - or a lost, but non-threatening, spirit - or perhaps a bound spirit?

If this turns out to be an hostile spirit, it won't be without some fakeout. Because right now I see how they can be hostile.

Unless it's a ruse.

But that's a pretty high level ruse for monstrosity that have shown only predator-levels of cunning.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1124 on: July 27, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
It's really interesting that she's dead and aware she's dead.