Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392252 times)

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1095 on: July 22, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »
I guess yeah, based on Onni's reaction in chapter seven we can safely assume spirits take the form of people sometimes to sneak up on ya. Given that this lady's face something about it just, feels kind of unnatural and is creeping me out a bit, that might be what's going on ?

I know there's quite a few peole in the comments speculating that it's either Grandma Hotakainen, the infamous "it" or maybe both. There's a few reasons I guess why it wouldn't especially be Grandma because why would she be dressed like that and in a church but at the same time, maybe ? Or maybe I just want it to be one of those two things (or both!) so we can finally get some back story on the Hotakainens  :P
I don't think it's Grandma Hotakainen (though I do want as much Hotakainen backstory as possible) but the spirit thing is pretty plausible. Seriously though, this lady is creeping me out...  :o Something about the way her face looks, or how most of it is in shadow...
At the same time, new person/thing! This is exciting!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1096 on: July 22, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »
I don't think it's Grandma Hotakainen (though I do want as much Hotakainen backstory as possible) but the spirit thing is pretty plausible. Seriously though, this lady is creeping me out...  :o Something about the way her face looks, or how most of it is in shadow...
At the same time, new person/thing! This is exciting!

I don't think it's Grandma because the clothes are wrong for a Finn (even if she had  been a pastor at some point, which is doubtful).

So far, Dreamworld avatars are similar to their real-life counterparts.  So I'm going assume that this is the haven of an actual Danish Lutheran pastor with at least some innate mage ability and I'm further going to assume that she's dressed in Y0 clothes because she's FROM Y0, and Onni recognizes that as well.

How could someone who was her age be alive still in Y90?  Well...those afflicted with the Illness don't appear to age; they live their horrible realworld lives until they get killed, or freeze-dry (or get touched by Murderghost).  So posit that she's one of the afflicted, and she retains either enough consciousness OR was able to send her mind off to the Dreamworld.

If she's one of the afflicted, she may still be contagious in the Dreamworld, at least for Reynir, who's not-immune (and let's remember that the Illness has to have some magic as part of it).

At least, that's my theory until Monday.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

ChazHoosier

« Reply #1097 on: July 22, 2016, 11:21:32 PM »
Sehr modisch, oder?

pinkie

« Reply #1098 on: July 23, 2016, 01:18:19 AM »
Is there a difference between ghosts and spirits?

Or is a spirit just the part of your consciousness that goes to the dreamworld?

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1099 on: July 23, 2016, 02:49:20 AM »
I'mma chime in on this one.

Considering how off the rails the expedition has gone, and the hints that they're going to go much further than anyone expected.... my call is:

The... I'm going to call it AE, (Anomalous entity), the AE is actually a someone, particularly a living someone, and quite possibly living in a commune of Christians off in the wilderness of the silent world and we may be about (obviously after a chapter break) to see a clash of cultures take place.

For starters I have (and I think others did too) theorized that a christian community after Y0 would most likely consider mages to be priests/miracle workers.

I'd also say, despite the uncanny valleyness of the face, there's not a lot of evidence of it being a spirit, or at the very least someone from y0-1 (I may end up eating these words next weekend), as we've seen previously the older spirits don't seem to retain their form, or manner of dress over the time.

However, if my theory holds water, the crew may be bringing just about a wall of terror and death in the form of the daisychain of spirits following along.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1100 on: July 23, 2016, 07:14:38 AM »
Solokov I like this theory. Now my mind starts working on how other religious-mage communities could be set-up. Imagine a hinduist temple and indian ancient godesses guiding hindu-mages. Or some of the african tribal religions who might have survived in the kilimanjaru regions. Interesting if religion of any sorts might ease the way into spirit/dreamworld.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

ChazHoosier

« Reply #1101 on: July 23, 2016, 09:32:23 AM »
For myself, I don't find that woman to look at all unusual.  Perhaps overly serious—but not super-naturally so.  If she is a mage from some Christian community, any Christianity that has watched God smite the earth with such a plague must be much more intense and solemn than what one gets in bourgeois State Lutheranism today.

Not that I have any idea what's about to happen.  We just know that someone there wants help from Reynir's previous dream.  Maybe she's an especially devout ghost who needs to be encouraged to give up waiting for the Lord to return so she can leave the land of the living behind.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:38:23 AM by ChazHoosier »

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1102 on: July 23, 2016, 09:59:17 AM »
For myself, I don't find that woman to look at all unusual.  Perhaps overly serious—but not super-naturally so.  If she is a mage from some Christian community, any Christianity that has watched God smite the earth with such a plague must be much more intense and solemn than what one gets in bourgeois State Lutheranism today.

Not that I have any idea what's about to happen.  We just know that someone there wants help from Reynir's previous dream.  Maybe she's an especially devout ghost who needs to be encouraged to give up waiting for the Lord to return so she can leave the land of the living behind.
Hmmm, I am definitely willing to admit that I'm just being paranoid when I say there's something weird about her face, and that Onni is also being overly paranoid.
Then again, perhaps the other spirits did not retain their forms/clothing because they had been corrupted with despair for the last 90-ish years and had slowly gone insane. Perhaps if a spirit had been given a proper burial and had been mourned by their relatives and whatnot, it could keep its sanity and appearance. It makes sense that spirits could look and dress like humans, given Onni's reaction when he first met Reynir.
I have no actual theories as to what will happen, though. The best I can do is wait impatiently for Monday. ^-^
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1103 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »
The best I can do is wait impatiently for Monday. ^-^
You don't want to find out what that Christian preacher lady did to Onni and Reynir during the preceding Sunday. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1104 on: July 23, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »
You don't want to find out what that Christian preacher lady did to Onni and Reynir during the preceding Sunday. :P

Well...MAYBE she's good at sermons. 

(Do they do those over there?)

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #1105 on: July 23, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
Well...MAYBE she's good at sermons. 

(Do they do those over there?)

Some very catchy ones in fact, Sin and hellfire. One even had lepers.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1106 on: July 23, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
Some very catchy ones in fact, Sin and hellfire. One even had lepers.

So THAT'S what Onni is protecting Reynir from!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #1107 on: July 23, 2016, 04:07:08 PM »

So ah, I tried to post this yesterday but kept on either accidentally clicking on and posting in the wrong thread or when trying to adjust the image size accidentlly clicking "post" instead of "preview" so I'd just post these weird stretched out screen caps out of context so I eventually gave up ;_;

Anywayyy here's side by side comparison in relation to the latest page number two, "Reynir gets physically yanked out of the way of danger while someone puts up an arm to block him from said danger" edition !!

people on tumblr seem to like this one at least dang I think this is the most notes I've ever gotten on anything SSSS related

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1108 on: July 24, 2016, 03:56:33 AM »

people on tumblr seem to like this one at least dang I think this is the most notes I've ever gotten on anything SSSS related

That might be because you made a brilliant comparison there ;)

Amazing how the colour style influences the mood while looking at the pictures.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1109 on: July 25, 2016, 06:36:52 AM »
I have the feeling Onni and Reynir don't have to put their hands in front of their eyes...
I wonder why exactly Onni thinks it's needed. Does he think the priest-mage has dangerous magic coming from her eyes?
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: