Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392244 times)

ChazHoosier

Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1080 on: July 20, 2016, 10:21:41 PM »
Mikkel's comment when he saw Reynir praying would indicate that, if he is a Christian, he's probably one of those very nominal sorts that are so common in Scandinavia.  Which isn't to say that his village's church couldn't be a space of communal meaning and belonging for him (very much in the Scandinavian way of doing religion, if I'm not mistaken).  On the other hand, it was possibly implied that he has some history of loss or trauma, which could have led to his rather detached attitude toward religion.

Of course, this is all a lot of very distant guessing about this dream church that almost certainly isn't anywhere near the mark.  ;)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #1081 on: July 21, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »
Yeah, that was my understanding: that everyone has a dream space, but mostly only the mages can be active and conscious in them while their body sleeps, and can intentionally go outside them into the broader Dreamworld.
Then why would Reynir chance onto the haven of the fellow mage first, a distant mage's next, and now only a third, instead of finding the havens of the five other team members near his own in rather quick succession?

(ETA: And why wouldn't Onni suggest that Reynir should ask the non-mage team members about the one that has him so puzzled now? If non-mages have havens as well, it would be kinda unavoidable that the mages know about that.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:48:25 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1082 on: July 21, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »
Then why would Reynir chance onto the haven of the fellow mage first, a distant mage's next, and now only a third, instead of finding the havens of the five other team members near his own in rather quick succession?

(ETA: And why wouldn't Onni suggest that Reynir should ask the non-mage team members about the one that has him so puzzled now? If non-mages have havens as well, it would be kinda unavoidable that the mages know about that.)

Distances in the Dreamworld aren't necessarily related to ones in the real world.  It might have to do with closeness or emotional connection.  Onni and Lalli really aren't very close emotionally (or so it appears) and their havens are quite a distance from each other.  Reynir, on the other hand, probably feels close to everyone.

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1083 on: July 21, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
Distances in the Dreamworld aren't necessarily related to ones in the real world.  It might have to do with closeness or emotional connection.  Onni and Lalli really aren't very close emotionally (or so it appears) and their havens are quite a distance from each other.  Reynir, on the other hand, probably feels close to everyone.

I do think that distances in the dreamworld are somewhat related to ones in the real world. That was why Lalli met Reynir in the dreamworld before they did in the material world: Reynir was physically getting closer to the crew. It's also why Lalli and Onni had trouble reaching each other, they were far away in the material world. Onni told Tuuri over the radio they were having some difficulties, which she hadn't expected because back in Finland it went more easily.

If everyone (not just mages) has a haven of their own, then I wonder if Lalli has visited Emil's haven... Or will visit.
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1084 on: July 21, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »
I really like the theory about emotion defining distance. Lalli is quite an introvert and Onni does not seem to open, too. Of course Onni shows more empathy towards relative than Lalli has done so far. That could also lead to problems between Lalli and Onni getting in contact with one another. Reynir might be so light hearted and open towards everyone that reaching for others appears naturally without trainig for him. Of course real life distance could harden taking up connections as another factor but that might not affect Reynir at all since he is not aware of all that stuff.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1085 on: July 21, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »
I do think that distances in the dreamworld are somewhat related to ones in the real world. That was why Lalli met Reynir in the dreamworld before they did in the material world: Reynir was physically getting closer to the crew. It's also why Lalli and Onni had trouble reaching each other, they were far away in the material world. Onni told Tuuri over the radio they were having some difficulties, which she hadn't expected because back in Finland it went more easily.

If everyone (not just mages) has a haven of their own, then I wonder if Lalli has visited Emil's haven... Or will visit.

Other Havens may be so small or unnoticed because they're just part of the "landscape".  If this one was, for example, Mikkel's, it might be noticeable because they're actually in Denmark and Mikkel has an emotional attachment to the place that brings it forward.

(I don't think it's actually Mikkel's, by the way)

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1086 on: July 21, 2016, 08:07:58 PM »
There are a number of rather fine fics exploring the subject, including one by SectoBoss in which Onni has set up heavy defences on Tuuri's haven, and several tales (don't offhand remember the author, might be Aunty Agonee?) in which Lalli, and later Reynir, find Emil's haven, which is a Saxon-style barrow. Well worth a read.

*Edit: my take on the accessibility of havens is that physical distance and emotional closeness might both be factors.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:13:53 PM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Minutia_R

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she or they
« Reply #1087 on: July 22, 2016, 04:41:43 AM »
So when Onni first met Reynir, he attacked him because he took him for a hostile spirit.  He seems to be taking the newcomer for the same sort of thing ... and my guess would be he's right this time.  It's nice that he's gone from attacking Reynir to defending him, although the end result is still Reynir getting yanked around and being very confused, poor puppy.

(Incidentally, this is somewhat off-topic but if we are talking about fanfic with Lalli finding Emil's haven, I have to put in a good word for Rusakko's http://archiveofourown.org/works/6331483, which is my favorite take on this scenario; it's so beautifully-written and bittersweet.)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1088 on: July 22, 2016, 05:48:48 AM »
Oh yes, that one is absolutely lovely. Russako makes fine work.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1089 on: July 22, 2016, 06:57:34 AM »
So when Onni first met Reynir, he attacked him because he took him for a hostile spirit.  He seems to be taking the newcomer for the same sort of thing ... and my guess would be he's right this time.  It's nice that he's gone from attacking Reynir to defending him, although the end result is still Reynir getting yanked around and being very confused, poor puppy.

(Incidentally, this is somewhat off-topic but if we are talking about fanfic with Lalli finding Emil's haven, I have to put in a good word for Rusakko's http://archiveofourown.org/works/6331483, which is my favorite take on this scenario; it's so beautifully-written and bittersweet.)

Oh, that's a beautiful fanfic! Thanks for sharing.

And it's nice that Onni now defends Reynir. Onni cares about him :D.
(or maybe he just wants to protect the mage who could defend his sister.)
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Minutia_R

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she or they
« Reply #1090 on: July 22, 2016, 07:31:17 AM »
Oh, that's a beautiful fanfic! Thanks for sharing.

And it's nice that Onni now defends Reynir. Onni cares about him :D.
(or maybe he just wants to protect the mage who could defend his sister.)

I do think that beneath the grumpiness and scarediness, Onni has a very strong core of wanting/needing to protect people.  He would probably even do it for a stranger--but I also think he does care about Reynir to some degree at this point.

(And it was no trouble!  I KNOW RIGHT, ISN'T IT GREAT.)

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1091 on: July 22, 2016, 09:31:08 AM »

It made sense in Onni's case, because Reynir was in Onni's space.  And here it's like Onni and Reynir have invaded someone else's space, someone who clearly serves one of the old world gods -- gods who failed to protect the world from the Illness (unlike the Norse and Finnish gods)

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #1092 on: July 22, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »
So uh - a question for those who might know - is that a contemporary garb that the spirit/person/? is wearing? It looks very antiquated. Like something from the 17th century. But perhaps some denominations in Denmark use such outfit.

I mean, there is always the possibility that people wear old fashion clothing in the post-rash Denmark, but I can't tell.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #1093 on: July 22, 2016, 10:49:09 AM »
So uh - a question for those who might know - is that a contemporary garb that the spirit/person/? is wearing? It looks very antiquated. Like something from the 17th century. But perhaps some denominations in Denmark use such outfit.

I mean, there is always the possibility that people wear old fashion clothing in the post-rash Denmark, but I can't tell.

Google image search for Lutheran pastor Denmark shows that to be a Y0 outfit.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #1094 on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »

I guess yeah, based on Onni's reaction in chapter seven we can safely assume spirits take the form of people sometimes to sneak up on ya. Given that this lady's face something about it just, feels kind of unnatural and is creeping me out a bit, that might be what's going on ?

I know there's quite a few peole in the comments speculating that it's either Grandma Hotakainen, the infamous "it" or maybe both. There's a few reasons I guess why it wouldn't especially be Grandma because why would she be dressed like that and in a church but at the same time, maybe ? Or maybe I just want it to be one of those two things (or both!) so we can finally get some back story on the Hotakainens  :P

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign: