Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 392358 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #1020 on: July 17, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »
*slams fist on table* MAGE FIGHT ! MAGE FIGHT !

Yesssss do want. *_*
(I dunno if it'll happen in this particular incident, something tells me probably not, but still, DO WANT.)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1021 on: July 17, 2016, 12:42:21 PM »
Either way, whoever it is behind this chunk of dream, I think they will be an antagonist - and that indeed, we may very well get a mage fight.

Awesome!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

BlueSkyVail

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Became too obsessed in too little time.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1022 on: July 17, 2016, 05:28:27 PM »

MAGE FIGHT!  MAGE FIGHT!

Oh my goodness, I want to see this so badly.
“Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.”

Native: :usa:
Pretty okay I guess: :france:
:chap12:

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1023 on: July 17, 2016, 05:48:50 PM »
MAGE FIGHT!  MAGE FIGHT!
Oh my goodness, I want to see this so badly.

Let me present to you people
Mage Fight
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

BlueSkyVail

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Became too obsessed in too little time.
« Reply #1024 on: July 17, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
Let me present to you people
Mage Fight

But we need another mage fight! We need all the mage fights!

Seriously though, the concept of combat in the dream world is just so interesting because they aren't as bound by the constructs of reality.  Maybe that's why I get so excited about them.
“Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.”

Native: :usa:
Pretty okay I guess: :france:
:chap12:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1025 on: July 17, 2016, 06:20:31 PM »
But we need another mage fight! We need all the mage fights!

Seriously though, the concept of combat in the dream world is just so interesting because they aren't as bound by the constructs of reality.  Maybe that's why I get so excited about them.
Yesss. So many things could happen. Oh, and there's the possibility that if a mage dies in the dreamworld, they die in real life. And also a mage fight would give us the chance to see an experienced mage in action!
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

ChazHoosier

« Reply #1026 on: July 18, 2016, 11:28:53 AM »
I've said this on Disqus a couple times already, but it seems a bit much to be believed that Reynir wouldn't have even the slightest idea what Christianity or a church is no matter how thoroughly and sincerely Iceland went pagan.  I'm hoping his question in today's comic is more about what a church is doing in the dream world instead of what a church is.  :P

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1027 on: July 18, 2016, 11:35:21 AM »
I've said this on Disqus a couple times already, but it seems a bit much to be believed that Reynir wouldn't have even the slightest idea what Christianity or a church is no matter how thoroughly and sincerely Iceland went pagan.  I'm hoping his question in today's comic is more about what a church is doing in the dream world instead of what a church is.  :P

I'm not convinced he wouldn't have an idea.  He seems to be from a pretty rural area and hasn't traveled much (if at all).  I suspect that most standing churches in the countryside would be repurposed or cannibalized for building materials.  (If he was from Reykjavík then I'd be astonished if he didn't know what a church was, though.)

I'm not sure how long an unmaintained wooden structure would last in Iceland's environment.

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

ChazHoosier

« Reply #1028 on: July 18, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
The Christians of Iceland never forgot the country was once pagan, so I don't see why they would so suddenly forget 1,000 years of Christianity.  I wouldn't expect Reynir to spout lines from Luther's Catechism, but surely he could see a cross and think "Oh yeah, that Jesus guy."  I'm just a little credulous about this turn in the plot is all.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #1029 on: July 18, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »
The Christians of Iceland never forgot the country was once pagan, so I don't see why they would so suddenly forget 1,000 years of Christianity.  I wouldn't expect Reynir to spout lines from Luther's Catechism, but surely he could see a cross and think "Oh yeah, that Jesus guy."  I'm just a little credulous about this turn in the plot is all.

Well... Reynir barely seems to know much about his own religion; in that light, it wouldn't be that surprising if he was kind of clueless about someone else's.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1030 on: July 18, 2016, 11:45:23 AM »

Reynir is really pretty sheltered and young, though.

I wouldn't expect all Icelanders to be so clueless
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

ChazHoosier

« Reply #1031 on: July 18, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »
Maaaaaybe?  I suppose it's not impossible that he's never heard a Christmas carol or heard someone says "Jesus!" after stubbing his toe?

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #1032 on: July 18, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »

I feel like he wouldn't have called it a "house" if he knew what a church was.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #1033 on: July 18, 2016, 12:41:58 PM »
I feel like he wouldn't have called it a "house" if he knew what a church was.

...Man, I didn't even catch that, but you're right, he does call it a house*. Interesting. :Va Which suggests that not only does he not know it's a church, but he doesn't really recognize it as any kind of place of worship/religious building/whatever.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #1034 on: July 18, 2016, 12:43:54 PM »
I think if Iceland went honestly, thoroughly pagan, only really old people (90+, maybe 70+ years old) would say "Jesus" or the like. Going by Reynir's home flashback, he didn't live with his grandparents, so it could be he's never encountered anyone who'd use Christianic swears. Add to that the fact that the Icelanders seem to have deliberately forgotten huge chunks of Old World, at least at first (see last two pages of Arni section of the prologue), and it's likely that even Icelanders in Reykjavik don't know what a church is.

One think I'd note is that distances don't seem to matter all that much in dreamspace - Reynir certainly wouldn't be sleeping long enough to get to Mora and back with Onni. For all we know, the owner of dreamchurch could be somewhere in Poland or southern Germany.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: