Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 390791 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #4470 on: June 04, 2022, 03:37:26 PM »
Today, at a public bookshelf in the supermarket, I noticed a Baedekers travel guide to Scandinavia (which, by their definition, includes DEN NOR SWE FIN but not ICE). It's not dated, but the "nations' histories" cover 1979 events, while the first part of the subway in Helsinki is said "to become operational in 1981" (it actually took until mid-1982).

There's a couple interesting things in it, for example, the ~1 page on Gävle and the list of annual special events make no mention whatsoever of the goat. And if you think that the kitchen sink psychology of The Many Different Nationalities of the World page is an over-the-top satire ... you may want to think again. :-[ :fremdschäm:

However, what prompted me to publicly admit perusing books I've grabbed for free :kroner: :3 is that apparently, there used to be a real-world counterpart to the poste restante system seen in the comic, only that it was not run by Posti. To quote:
In Finland, foreigners have the possibility to have mail sent to the Finland Travel Bureau in Helsinki, where it will be handed out free of surcharge Monday through Friday between 08:30 and 17:00. For the address, use
(Name of recipient)
c/o Finland Travel Bureau Ltd.
Mail Department, Box 10319
Kaivokatu 10A
SF-00101 Helsinku 10
Suomi/Finland
The Bureau still exists at the same address, save for the PO box number apparently having been shortened to "319" (and the int'l standards now asking to drop the "SF-" and instead put the country name IN UPPERCASE), but I could not find any indication that the service has survived into any mentions on the WWW ever ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #4471 on: March 14, 2023, 09:02:03 PM »
Hey, I hope almost a year is not too much delay to say that your drawing is great, Wave! And I agree: That would be a great ending! :)

Also JoB, as always quite interesting. I suppose one day people may eventually look the same way to that odd habit of people (mostly from the previous century) writing actual letters...

And you all gonna laugh, but it took me more than a year to notice the presence, on SSSS' last page, of our seagull mage Vaino?  ;D He sits on the right, next to a window, getting ready to satisfy the hunger of a thousand beaks!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4472 on: March 14, 2023, 09:37:18 PM »
Poste restante was certainly a thing in the real world when I was travelling, and when I lived in the serious Outback, and may still be for all I know. I think it may still be available in Australia, certainly it is in the Outback, in small-town post offices such as in the little bush town where I now live, or general stores that handle mail for their local areas. Whether this is just country tradition or whether it is still the usage in cities I do not know.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

« Reply #4473 on: March 15, 2023, 05:54:25 AM »
Poste restante was certainly a thing in the real world when I was travelling, and when I lived in the serious Outback, and may still be for all I know. I think it may still be available in Australia, certainly it is in the Outback, in small-town post offices such as in the little bush town where I now live, or general stores that handle mail for their local areas. Whether this is just country tradition or whether it is still the usage in cities I do not know.
The entry on Wikipedia's page on poste restante actually has something to say about that. In fact, glancing at the other entries in the per-country list, it seems to be a service that usually gets offered throughout a nation's PO system, rather than only in hotspots (rural areas?) requiring it.

It also mentions that Finnish Posti is running such a service now, so I assume that that's why the lone Travel Bureau office in Helsinki stopped offering it. Though I suspect that a poste restante offer to Tourists may well set itself apart from Posti's offer by a longer retention time than 14 days ... It seems quite interesting to compare the retention periods in various countries, too ...

I suppose one day people may eventually look the same way to that odd habit of people (mostly from the previous century) writing actual letters...
I do work in the "hybrid mail"¹ business in Germany and have to admit that I had no idea that Deutsche Post has a poste restante system running ...

¹ "Hybrid" because companies shove their outgoing mail to service providers electronically, where it gets preprocessed², printed, enveloped, confirmed back to the sender, and sent on its merry way, to be received on paper.
² As in, checked for deliverability (will the recipient address sit properly in the envelope's window? Are the parts of the cover page where the printing provider needs to put his additional barcodes left white?), consolidated (multiple letters to the same recipient are made into a single sending, potentially reducing identical supplements to only one copy), channeled specially (recipient recognized as someone who can be reached by different, usually electronic, means), Restmengenfüller (add other supplements as the weight limit of the postage class permits), drop a copy into the sender's archival system, ... - our main business.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4474 on: March 15, 2023, 02:53:33 PM »
Poste restante is indeed available for all private persons in Finland in all post offices, with the exception that in bigger cities there is only one post office that can be used. It can even be one’s official address, and homeless people, but also others, use it. The limited retainage time of two weeks limits its usability, but other services with longer storage time are also available for a fee.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4475 on: March 18, 2023, 07:29:15 AM »
Yeah, that’s the kind of service I used to use when I was knocking about the world when I was a lot younger. It can be very useful, and it reassures the ancient relatives to have some way they can leave messages for you.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4476 on: January 06, 2024, 06:07:06 AM »
Hey guys,

I did a reread of parts of the comic and came across the dream-quarantine (adv. 2, p. 115).
I recall there being a comment of the following sort, but I can't find it anymore. So I'll post it here.

An itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny
two-times blinky karanteeni.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4477 on: January 06, 2024, 08:02:38 AM »
Hello @Groupoid  long time no see! The rhyme is funny :) I hope ypur year will be a good one, and perhaps we’ll get to see you around again?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4478 on: January 07, 2024, 01:05:51 AM »
*scratches head*
Not sure about the rhyme?  "Two times blinky" karanteeni... You've got the right page but that comment isn't there at all, nor on the next page.
On the other hand, there are sonnets and good wishes for Rachel McGonagall's health. Wow.

Further research would be needed, as I'm now thinking it was posted here in the Forum, or the Discord.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

« Reply #4479 on: January 07, 2024, 05:21:01 AM »
You've got the right page but that comment isn't there at all, nor on the next page.
There are six deleted comments on the page, with no replies indicating that someone felt offended by whatever the poster wrote. I remember at least one longer-standing poster not just leaving the comic after a disagreement, but deleting the Disqus account (and all their posts along with it). In particular, deleted post #4524216171 seems like a good candidate for having contained the poem ...

Further research would be needed, as I'm now thinking it was posted here in the Forum, or the Discord.
Nothing that the forum search could find for me ...
(Disclaimer: I'm not subscribed to the age- or otherwise restricted groups.)

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4480 on: January 08, 2024, 02:44:58 PM »
Wow, thanks for doing all the research!
I also wish you a good new year. It's nice to see that the forum is still alive and I'll surely visit it again from time to time.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru: