Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 390073 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2955 on: January 21, 2018, 09:36:44 AM »
Róisín, I think I've been assuming that as well, though I didn't have it as clearly thought out.

It does make sense to me; though I don't think we've enough information to know for sure.

In any case, even if they're only going to die if Emil goes in there, that seems enough to me to allow for drastic measures to save their lives. And I don't see any reason to think that singing would work better than shouting, which Lalli already tried unsuccessfully. That is, maybe there is some such reason; but we haven't had any evidence for it, so maybe there isn't -- and Lalli would know better than we would. If singing at people entranced by trolls usually breaks them out of it, I would think this would by the year 90 be well known both to scouts and to mages.

It's true that Lalli chants when he casts at least some spells. But it's also pretty clear that doing such chants requires both time and concentration/psychic energy. He hasn't got the time, and it's very likely that he hasn't got the psychic strength right now, having used it up saving Emil's life earlier -- in a situation in which he seriously endangered himself by doing so, although simply leaving Emil to die and continuing to run away would almost certainly have kept him safe.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2956 on: January 22, 2018, 02:44:29 AM »
I can't help by read the last panel as it being very, very hard for Emil to leave the troll-spirits behind. It's making me wonder if there could be a connection between the fact that they almost lured him into the house by convincing him he could help them and the two times he almost instinctively ran into a dangerous situation because he thought Lalli was in danger. And if both of these could have a connection to the fire in his dream.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:46:25 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2957 on: January 22, 2018, 02:51:28 AM »
Grade E Cat, that's a very good point. I would read Emil as both being a naturally protective and nurturing person, even if he is a bit of a dork, and as having had experiences that make him want to protect other people from suffering too. We have seen how he interacts with the little kids, and with Lalli. I do wonder about that fire.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2958 on: January 26, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
Aaaand we're back in Emil's dream breakfast nook, where the nanny appears to have reset herself.  Will dream!Emil remember anything when he shows up again?  (Probably, he knew who Lalli was before in the first round.)
I'll just put this here (totally unedited, but perfect as is):
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #2959 on: January 26, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »
Bang and Zeetha being all buddy-buddy over cake! Neither of those two seems yet to have figured out who the other is, and I suspect there will be ructions of the extremely violent kind when they do.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2960 on: January 26, 2018, 06:40:07 PM »
Bang and Zeetha being all buddy-buddy over cake! Neither of those two seems yet to have figured out who the other is, and I suspect there will be ructions of the extremely violent kind when they do.
Actually, this is from a rather old page - each knew exactly who the other was, and, well.... I won't spoil it, I'll let you follow the link:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20150410#.Wmu8IqiWbIU
(I was researching something else entirely, but this was too precious to pass up.)

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Róisín

« Reply #2961 on: January 26, 2018, 11:59:37 PM »
Ah, yes. On that level they know about each other. What I am waiting for is when Zeetha lets slip to Bang that she (Zeetha) once destroyed a pirate base to which she had been kidnapped while too ill to resist. Whereas Bang wound up with the Baron because she came back to her home base one day to find her folk gone and everything destroyed.......it was very early in the story. My suspicion is that Zeetha did that, and Bang won't be happy when she discovers this.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2962 on: January 27, 2018, 03:03:28 AM »
Ah, yes. On that level they know about each other. What I am waiting for is when Zeetha lets slip to Bang that she (Zeetha) once destroyed a pirate base to which she had been kidnapped while too ill to resist. Whereas Bang wound up with the Baron because she came back to her home base one day to find her folk gone and everything destroyed.......it was very early in the story. My suspicion is that Zeetha did that, and Bang won't be happy when she discovers this.

oooooo, didn't make that connection! 

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #2963 on: January 27, 2018, 03:28:22 AM »
I knew of that one because it's outright spelled out somewhere on the Girl Genius TvTropes page, and I found that webcomic before SSSS. But rereading this, I now just realized how complicated that's going to make things in regards to a certain implied pair of siblings.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:01:47 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #2964 on: February 01, 2018, 06:29:53 PM »
Hey, it looks like there's actual communication going on!

Róisín

« Reply #2965 on: February 01, 2018, 11:08:14 PM »
thorny, yay for communication, even if it is about something potentially tragic.

Grade E Cat: Girl Genius has a TV Tropes page?!? I'll see if I can find it.

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2966 on: February 01, 2018, 11:30:17 PM »
Be careful not to fall down the rabbit hole, Róisín!
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Róisín

« Reply #2967 on: February 01, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »
I've heard that about TVTropes, yeah, but again, it's something I know little about. Always curious though.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2968 on: February 02, 2018, 07:16:48 AM »
A few things I want these two to say to each other:

• "I'm sorry I threw soup in your face. I was frustrated with the situation, but you didn't do anything to deserve that."
  • "I'm sorry I trivialized your cousin's impending death. You were about to lose one of your last remaining family members and a pretty flower was not going to fix that."
  • "I'm sorry I was so dismissive and condescending toward your culture and toward magic in general. If I'd taken some initiative and asked a few questions about how magic worked, we might never have gotten into the mess that we did."
  • "I'm sorry I was so dismissive of your intelligence and condescending toward your capacity to reconsider your worldviews. If I'd taken some initiative and explained a few things about how magic and troll mind control worked, we might never have gotten into the mess that we did."
  • "I'm sorry I hurt you to keep you from going into that nest. It was the only way to keep us both from dying, but I didn't enjoy it and I hope that it's never necessary again."

By this point I'm through getting my hopes up, but... it would be nice.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #2969 on: February 02, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »
Yes, yes and more yes. I still think there is no real malice in either of them, just ignorance, cultural narrowness, and little understanding of themselves or other people. All of which are things that can be fixed with time and work and willingness. And I still think Aliax was right that Emil simply hadn't understood what was happening with Tuuri.