Author Topic: Cosplay (non-SSSS)  (Read 45843 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: Cosplay Help
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 12:13:25 PM »
Curry, you make an awesome Sigrun. If we ever want to stage a live re-enactment of SSSS, we know who to call!
Anyway, I may be in the process of making a Lalli costume. Maybe. We'll see how it goes, 'cause I've never done this before. I promise pictures if it turns out ok, though! Not necessarily on me because *shudder* photographing myself.

I've seen pictures of the work in progress. I can vouch for the fact that it is going to look amazing. :)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 12:33:59 PM »
I've seen pictures of the work in progress. I can vouch for the fact that it is going to look amazing. :)

Shhhh, don't get their hopes up. I have never sewn anything this complicated, so we'll see how it goes.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Elrew

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
Sure, I can share any patterns I use! I'm usually more of a just-go-for-it kind of person (which doesn't always work out with sewing  :-\), but for stuff like the hat, I think I'm going to need some sort of baseline.
Yay, thank you! I was going to try copying the pattern of a hat I already have because I know it already fits me but that's proving rather difficult because I like it too much to cut up :|
also, I haven't sewn properly since I was ten so I'm basically doomed anyway

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »
Aww yess pattern talk!

Me and my friends are going to use the pattern RaeSeddon posted (THANK YOU FOR ALERTING ME TO THAT YOU BEAUTIFUL PERSON) and just modify them a bit, adding trim and larger collars etc etc. Lalli hat and the accessories, however, have no plans (WING IT, FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT, GO)

i'd ask you to slay me but you're actually holding a knife so i'm a little scared to tbh
Ahaha haha ha yeah I'm actually very nervous around knives so don't worry, I'm not thaaat canon B(
YEET

RaeSeddon

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »
Aww yess pattern talk!

Me and my friends are going to use the pattern RaeSeddon posted (THANK YOU FOR ALERTING ME TO THAT YOU BEAUTIFUL PERSON) and just modify them a bit, adding trim and larger collars etc etc. Lalli hat and the accessories, however, have no plans (WING IT, FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT, GO)

Ahaha haha ha yeah I'm actually very nervous around knives so don't worry, I'm not thaaat canon B(

Not a problem! You have no idea how many hours of trawling through Butterick, McCalls, Vogue, Kwik Sew and Simplicity it took for me to find it.  It was like gold stars falling from heaven and a chorus of angels when I found it on Burda's website. A note about Burda though, they're not necessarily a "beginner friendly" sewing company. Some of their stuff is easy, but the more advanced the pattern, they tend to do things like not include seam allowances on the pattern itself, so be careful of that!  They just  assume that if you're at that skill level, you know what you're doing. 

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 02:17:14 AM »
I feel like I'm asking a stupid, obvious question but all you guys making "Lalli hats" are aware that it's a hood, right?
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

WellAnFree

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 04:29:21 AM »
I feel like I'm asking a stupid, obvious question but all you guys making "Lalli hats" are aware that it's a hood, right?

Yep, when looking between pages 219 and 220 for reference the wide collar adds enough coverage that it could be made as a detachable, separate piece. Or the collar and hat/hood could be combined that could then separate from the coat, either way would work.

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=219

P__

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 05:05:18 AM »
p. 226 and p.299 suggest that it's attached, though (possibly detachable)
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Wolfram

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 06:13:12 AM »
Yeah I know, but making a hat is easier.

Native: ....:france:
Understand: :uk:
Learning: ..:poland:

:chap7: newbie

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2015, 10:04:30 AM »

Also, "Lalli hat" is fun to say.  :P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

RaeSeddon

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »
If I were to hazard a guess, it seems like the hood is attached to the neck at black band-- I would say it's either snaps or rivets keeping it in place. I'd also suggest it would have to be detachable as a safety measure in case a scout accidentally has a too-close call with a troll or beast. It would suck getting your hood snagged on an antler or mutated limb and be stuck trying to wiggle out of your whole coat.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »
Looks like it'll work out great! If only you could hide the braid somehow, you could almost have a two-in-one wig. ;D

I was thinking maybe you could have a two in one wig. You could have a medium-length Sigrun wig and then turn it into a Reynir wig with extensions like in this tutorial. Just something to consider  ;)

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 07:38:16 PM »
I was thinking maybe you could have a two in one wig. You could have a medium-length Sigrun wig and then turn it into a Reynir wig with extensions like in this tutorial. Just something to consider  ;)

Ahaha that would be convenient, but their bangs and styles are pretty different so it would probably take a heat resistant wig, a hair straightener, and lots and lots of stonecrop in between each switch @_@ I spent HOURS on my sigrun so I know I wouldn't switch them between but then again it's a really thick wig so?? Martti's looks pretty thin , so it could work.
YEET

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »
Ahaha that would be convenient, but their bangs and styles are pretty different so it would probably take a heat resistant wig, a hair straightener, and lots and lots of stonecrop in between each switch @_@ I spent HOURS on my sigrun so I know I wouldn't switch them between but then again it's a really thick wig so?? Martti's looks pretty thin , so it could work.

True enough, true enough. I'm no wig expert, so I defer to your superior wig knowledge  :P

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »
Looks like it'll work out great! If only you could hide the braid somehow, you could almost have a two-in-one wig. ;D

I thoguht of that, but I didn't plan to cosplay Reynir (least fav of the group anyway) also I kinda have a group and we have Reynir, so I don't need it, the braid actually kind of broken I got it as an used wig but the top part is still good

I was thinking of this, and keep the braid, which I could attach back, if I could fix that part.....

well, yeah, that is one reason I am not planning to do both with same wig, I will be happy if I can style this one for Sigrun only!
it is, if I cut both, it will be more I guess, I need to get a proper cut, I cut only two bangs which was not part of the braid, and it already a lot and enough for the style, so I dunno what I will do with the braided part yet xD I need to get something to put it on and do the proper cut first, then styling, honestly I have no such thing like those warm thing you curl hair with.... (how it is called???) so I still try to do it first only with some spray... if not working, I will try to get one..... but I dunno if the wig can take the heat.... (I could test on the cut part lol)

What a pretty color for Sigrun! Although wow you would also be such a cute Reynir!!
thanks, but it is more like the colour if the camera, the wig is completely red, the camera makes it a bit slightly orangish, but still I find the colour good C:
and still not planning to be Reynir ;3;

I was actually trying to do Tuuri with one of my shortest blonde wig+real hair, but sadly they have different shades so it won't work.... ;3; I can't dye my whole hair to blonde.....
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20: