Author Topic: The Minnastry of Truth at work?  (Read 12281 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The Minnastry of Truth at work?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 01:11:16 AM »
We have never been at war with packs of monkeys.

We have always been at war with packs of squirrels.
... Is this A) a new kind of obscurantism designed to convince us plebs that the ministry is guided by hallucinogenic drugs or B) a reference to the Disqus comments?
Perhaps this will clarify:

We are at war with packs of monkeys. We have always been at war with packs of monkeys.

Packs of squirrels are our allies. Packs of squirrels have always been our allies.

asadderandawiserman

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Onni is watching you.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
Okaaaaay ... I'm back at a working broadband connection, so I download the book PDF ...

... ich glaub' mich knutscht ein Elch!? :o

(And what is Imgur trying to tell me with that "random" album ID!?)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »
Okaaaaay ... I'm back at a working broadband connection, so I download the book PDF ...

... ich glaub' mich knutscht ein Elch!? :o

(And what is Imgur trying to tell me with that "random" album ID!?)

O.O I guess Minna changed her mind about the map?
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »
We have never been at war with packs of monkeys.

We have always been at war with packs of squirrels.

In fact, the packs of monkeys have always been our close and personal allies in this war.
Remember, Big Taru is always watching.

asadderandawiserman

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »
Sorry for reviving this thread, I though it was probably the best place to post this.

I was just showing off Minna's language tree to a friend, and I've noticed that the version in Book 1 is different to the online version: In the top left corner around Hindi, the printed version includes Rajasthani and Gujurati which seem to be completely absent from the online version. Just thought some people might be interested!

P__

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 09:45:21 AM »
sorry for the necromancy spell, but I figured this is the right place to put it:

in page 330, Onni and Lalli call Reynir his "ally" (or not his ally, in Lalli's case). I seemed to remember it being "friend" instead, would anyone be able to check?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:50:13 AM by P__ »
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »
I have no way to check, but I remember it being "ally" all along. Remember how Onni later asks Lalli if he's made any friends? He doesn't assume Lalli is friends with everyone he meets, and rightfully so. This would be out of character for Lalli, and overly friendly/optimistic from Onni himself as well.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »
I also remember it as 'ally'.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

mapmad

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
The changes are a result of better improvement of the translations from the original languages, or new discoveries in the research of the early history of the reconquest of the silent world. You might think that this is a well researched subject, but in fact much of what has been earlier called history and taught in schools has turned out to be myths and fables, especially when it comes to what we know about the six so called "Silent Heroes" and their cat. For example, the claim that Sigrun Storhildur fought off a thousand and one giants all by herself shows up only in a book from year 153, and seems to have no basis in history. However, Emil Hårfagre's good looks and shining hair, as well as Mikkel Mangfare's stoic calm against any danger is attested in contemporary sources, so a lot of the seemingly mythical qualities of these heroes are clearly historical.

;-)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 07:01:26 PM »
Heh. Have you seen what popular history has done to El Cid? Or Queen Elizabeth 1? And we don't have the end of the world to contend with.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 08:13:11 PM »
The changes are a result of better improvement of the translations from the original languages, or new discoveries in the research of the early history of the reconquest of the silent world. You might think that this is a well researched subject, but in fact much of what has been earlier called history and taught in schools has turned out to be myths and fables, especially when it comes to what we know about the six so called "Silent Heroes" and their cat. For example, the claim that Sigrun Storhildur fought off a thousand and one giants all by herself shows up only in a book from year 153, and seems to have no basis in history. However, Emil Hårfagre's good looks and shining hair, as well as Mikkel Mangfare's stoic calm against any danger is attested in contemporary sources, so a lot of the seemingly mythical qualities of these heroes are clearly historical.

;-)

What do their titles mean?
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

mapmad

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 10:58:49 PM »
Storhildur: "Big battle"
Hårfagre: "Fair hair"
Mangfare: "Many travels"

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 01:17:25 AM »
I can only hope that the myths also refer to Reynir Kassebarne, Tuuri Knirkermye and Lalli Kattgutt :)

(My Norwegian is from Google Translate and is therefore bound to be awful)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

mapmad

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 02:55:42 AM »
Yeah, I don't really get what Kassebarne is supposed to be. (Oh, what Box-child?) And I don't think "Whinesalot" is a good hero name, but ok... :-)

I leave it up to people who actually speak Icelandic and Finnish to decide the heronames here, but perhaps...

Reynir Rauðfletta? (Redbraid?)
Tuuri Tienraivaaja? (According to google translate, that means "trailblazer").
Lalli Ilvesielu? (Lalli Lynxsoul?)

I guess Lalli and Tuuri should get hero-names that sound like something from Finnish mythology, but I really don't know enough about that. Anyway, were kinda off topic now...