Author Topic: The Minnastry of Truth at work?  (Read 12289 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
The Minnastry of Truth at work?
« on: July 19, 2015, 09:15:13 AM »
Hmmmm. I'm flipping through SSSS pages again (for unrelated reasons) and, right now, page 61 has Nordic Council Lady say:
I believe one of my colleagues only voted "yes" because he lost his glasses and didn't know what he was voting for.
(emphasis mine). I don't remember her representing the "blind vote" thing as anything short of objective fact originally (Feb-2014), and sure enough, the page's image on the webserver has been modified 23-Mar-2015.

I know that Minna has retroactively modified pages so as to eliminate changes in her art style for, e.g., Tuuris and Lallis faces, and to supply native-tongue curses she didn't know at the time of posting the page, but rephrasing background info Minitrue style ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

Re: The Minnastry of Truth at work?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
... and what used to be SEclusions is now called an EXclusion on page 86 ...

... the "bunch of monkeys" became a "pack of squirrels" on page 107, along with several other text changes on the same page ...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:13:46 AM by JoB »
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »
... and what used to be SEclusions is now called an EXclusion on page 86 ...

... the "bunch of monkeys" became a "pack of squirrels" on page 107, along with several other text changes on the same page ...

I am not that old reader to know this but this is interesting
sometimes I want to change my old stuffs, change the english better but I am not doing it as a profession or something.

sometimes I see some english there which sounds weird for me. it can be either literal translation for her native language, which is different in english. I find it interesting to see it and I could accept this way. the characters are nordics, so using nordic phrases in english seems okay to me. (I am not native english speaker so sometimes I won't even notice)
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
I'm glad someone else noticed this! I was re-reading the comic a few weeks ago (because of course I was) and thought my memory was playing weird tricks on me.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 10:22:52 PM »
I'd also noticed, but figured it was likely Minna editing. A pity for some things, I quite liked 'seclusions'.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:33:36 PM »
Does anybody remember when Minna said she wanted to go back and kill her past self for all the little things she'd left until "later" to fix, and "later" was "now", because the book was going to the printers? I think those are examples.

Headfinder

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:18:05 AM »
Actually, the whole dialogue in page 61 has been edited
Spoiler: show

I have the whole comic saved as a "just in case" archive (Although I was too busy to save chapter 7 as the pages were getting posted, at first; pretty much forgot about that until now).

I should make some .rar files for download, an imgur album or something like that
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:38:19 PM by Headfinder »

JoB

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »
I have the whole comic saved as a "just in case" archive
Yeah, I'm pondering a similar thing ... :(

I should make some .rar files for download, an imgur album or something like that
[prepares the leeching tools]

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
I know that Minna has retroactively modified pages so as to eliminate changes in her art style for, e.g., Tuuris and Lallis faces
Does anyone have before-after examples of this? I noticed some inconsistencies in older Tuuri art (mostly her body rather than her face) but Lalli seems pretty much the same, with a handful of exceptions - I actually admired how Minna seemed to have a very clear image of him right from the start.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 06:09:53 PM »
Does anyone have before-after examples of this? I noticed some inconsistencies in older Tuuri art (mostly her body rather than her face) but Lalli seems pretty much the same, with a handful of exceptions - I actually admired how Minna seemed to have a very clear image of him right from the start.

There's some discussion of it here.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Headfinder

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
Yeah, I'm pondering a similar thing ... :(
[prepares the leeching tools]

I meant "just in case", as in, just in case the comic outright dissappears from the internet, or something similarly catastrophic.

It's not like she's changing any key components anyway

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
There's some discussion of it here.
Awesome, thank you!

JoB

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 05:35:10 AM »
It's not like she's changing any key components anyway
Sure, but the wiki would be rather empty if we'd only state the guaranteed-immutable canon facts there ... :(

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 10:47:56 PM »
You people are deeply misguided.

We have never been at war with packs of monkeys.

We have always been at war with packs of squirrels.

The Minnastry of Truth loves you.  Nothing has been changed.  Everything is good.  Everything is doubleplusgood.  If you feel your memory is playing tricks on you, report to Minnastry of Acceptance for interior remodeling.

Also, if you have been keeping any private art archives, please bring all the computing and data storage devices you own to the Minnastry of Records.

For.. routine auditing.  Rumors of dissidents being sent to dig out the Keuruu-Pori waterway are completely unfounded.  You have nothing to fear.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 12:54:51 PM »
We have never been at war with packs of monkeys.

We have always been at war with packs of squirrels.

... Is this A) a new kind of obscurantism designed to convince us plebs that the ministry is guided by hallucinogenic drugs or B) a reference to the Disqus comments?