Author Topic: Arts & Crafts  (Read 25844 times)

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Arts & Crafts
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2015, 06:08:46 AM »
That's nice thread!  :D

So, my main hobby is glass art. I started in 2007, when bought book on glass painting. I enjoy painting on various glasses (vases, mugs, jars and so on) and making fanart on books, poems, musicals, movies, serials.

I would like to share some pictures. I made a preview, and full size is under cut.

Doctor Who fanart

Spoiler: show

DragonLance fanart

I carry the Sun in a golden cup, the Moon in a silver bag
(Line from the poem by William Butler Yeats "Those Dancing Days are gone")

When I began to learn Japanese, I started to write some hieroglyphs on glass. Here is an example.

Ai (love)

And when I discovered crackled glass, I loved it and began to make experiments with it. I love the effects it gives.

Recently I do not have enough time for my hobby because of work, so I paint some fanart and — rarely — some pictures on glass.

P.S. Hope this post was not too long =)
P.P.S. I'm also fond of beading, but I'll tell about it later.
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »

I had a bit of extra time during the weekend (got tired of cleaning up + ran out of yarn) so obviously I had to put it into good use... hairclips happened. Fabric, 3Dpaint, beads and embroidery. Dangerously fun to make, will probably result in way more hairclips and lots of neglected responsibilities. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
That's nice thread!  :D

So, my main hobby is glass art. I started in 2007, when bought book on glass painting. I enjoy painting on various glasses (vases, mugs, jars and so on) and making fanart on books, poems, musicals, movies, serials.

I would like to share some pictures. I made a preview, and full size is under cut.

Doctor Who fanart

DragonLance fanart

I carry the Sun in a golden cup, the Moon in a silver bag
(Line from the poem by William Butler Yeats "Those Dancing Days are gone")

When I began to learn Japanese, I started to write some hieroglyphs on glass. Here is an example.

Ai (love)

And when I discovered crackled glass, I loved it and began to make experiments with it. I love the effects it gives.

Recently I do not have enough time for my hobby because of work, so I paint some fanart and — rarely — some pictures on glass.

P.S. Hope this post was not too long =)
P.P.S. I'm also fond of beading, but I'll tell about it later.

I had a bit of extra time during the weekend (got tired of cleaning up + ran out of yarn) so obviously I had to put it into good use... hairclips happened. Fabric, 3Dpaint, beads and embroidery. Dangerously fun to make, will probably result in way more hairclips and lots of neglected responsibilities. :D

Aah, you're both amazing! I want to one day be able to make stuff too *_*
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »
How could I overlook this thread?!
All those fantastic papercut dragons, jewelry, origamis, Olga's glass paintings (OK, I've seen them on deviantart), and Laufey's cute little hairclips! All beautiful!
This is definitely my kind of place :)

Some old brooches of mine:

necklaces and other stuff:

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 10:31:27 PM »
Yesterday was remembrance day so I had no school. I got kinda bored of sitting on the computer after a while and decided to do something new; I made chainmail!

It's made out of can tabs, here is the tutorial

And I also (finally) attached the handle and cross guard to my sword. (I made the blade a while ago, I was just too lazy to attach the handle until now.) I just cold forged the blade, I do not have a forge yet. (Cold forging is when you just hammer at the metal and heat it with your hammer strikes. It takes a lot longer though and the metal has a hammered look. It is not really forging, just hammering it into a new shape. It makes the metal a lot weaker too.)
I think it looks pretty good!

It is full tang:

Here you can see the hammered pattern on the blade:

Me holding it, just for scale:

And the whole thing:

tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 10:59:44 PM »
Luth, what sort of metal did you start with? Asking because if you ever get a forge you could possibly reshape and temper it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 11:33:23 PM »
I used galvanized steel piping with some copper piping as the core (just picked it up at home depot).

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 12:04:53 AM »
Wow! I haven't the first idea how that would temper. I've never cold-forged anything but copper, though I've seen other people do it with iron. Mostly I've just used steel bar-stock, or bits of old tools and machines. My old display sword I hot-forged from an old cross-member of a crane jib. There was enough metal for two, so I made one the same for one of my cousins. It's shaped but not edged, because it was for stage work. Some people use old leaf-springs from cars and trucks to make tools or blades, it works quite well.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »
Wow! I haven't the first idea how that would temper. I've never cold-forged anything but copper, though I've seen other people do it with iron. Mostly I've just used steel bar-stock, or bits of old tools and machines.
The copper is much softer and easier to shape, doing the steel took a lot of hammering.  :-\

My old display sword I hot-forged from an old cross-member of a crane jib. There was enough metal for two, so I made one the same for one of my cousins. It's shaped but not edged, because it was for stage work.
Cool! When we were buying materials we ended up with a lot of extra too, we actually ended up making three swords and a couple of knives from the cuttings. My brother sharpened his second blade but I probably won't sharpen mine.

SamVimes

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
Hi All,

I like to bind/rebind books. The first is a finished hard cover notebook, second is a mid-process copy of Full Metal Alchemist, and finally is a rebound copy of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rulebook.

Athena

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »

Nice job! I wish I could bind books like that, my D&D rulebooks are falling apart too.

Athena

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 02:10:20 PM »
I made an aRTD logo necklace. I used clay and acrylic paint.
Here it is!

Me wearing it:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 05:40:57 AM »
Finished this years Advent wreaths. :)

(Having an advent wreath at home is extreamly popular here; it comes from Christian tradition, but became a general pre-Christmas decoration - you don't need to be religiuos to buy or make one and enjoy it)

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Athena

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »
This is a craft, so I guess it's the right place to put this.

My brother and I finally built a forge! [+1 to life goals completion] It's made of some leftover bricks from when we had our patio redone, and for an anvil we use a slice out of a steel beam mounted on a tree stump.

Here is the overall design:

A slightly closer look inside:

The chimney ended up looking like the aRTD logo... (my fault)

And after going out to buy a couple bags of charcoal and a better hammer, we finally got to see it in use!  ;D

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2016, 01:51:11 AM »

Tha most definitely is a craft! Looks good, what are you planning on making?
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: