Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2370992 times)

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9375 on: August 14, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »
Off-Topic, but brief & amusing:

One of the Professora's colleagues left an 1980-vintage b&w, typewritten pamphlet on her desk from Copenhagen's Arne Magnusson Collection at the University of Copenhagen at Amager.  ;D

(Det arnamagnæanske Institut, Københavns Universitet Amager.  And "arnamagnæanske" was actually a suggestion from my Norwegian keyboard!  ;D Woot!)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #9376 on: August 14, 2015, 09:10:20 PM »
* KicknRun pops in to see the links she has posted has caused actual death and destruction.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
edit 
@piney: GET IN THE SPACESHIP GET IN THE S P A C E S H I P (also i am really sorry oops)

@lenny: u know u wanna play it again

haha i wasn't expecting this much of a response? i haven't played the game in a year and my internet is still too crappy to do anything except go on the forum and even that is a struggle

but i remember getting a bayonet. man did i love that bayonet

then i lost it

(also about wood, from the one screencap i have)

the room is mild.

the fire is flickering.

meat-710

cured meat- 11

wood-143993

i guess i was making some really bad decisions? who cares playing that game is a bad decision in and of itself
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:46:50 PM by KicknRun »

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #9377 on: August 14, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »
* KicknRun pops in to see the links she has posted has caused actual death and destruction.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congratulations.  You are now on your way to Super Villain status.  Enjoy the pursuit of World Domination.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
« Reply #9378 on: August 14, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »
Alas, the pen nibs for my tablet have not arrived yet, and my current nib is getting dangerously low ;___; at least I know that with the help of my trusty safety pins I can stab it out if needed, but it's still worrying

Please explain?  Does a digital stylus wear out as time goes on, or am I thinking of a completely different thing?  (I might just not understand digital art/design)

Also, KicknRun, I second Jethan on the Evil Villain status.  I'm just glad that I have extra time today, or this game would get a whole lot more menacing!
And how long did it take you to find a bayonet?  It must be a whole lot more effective than the Steel/Iron swords I'm using.
Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #9379 on: August 14, 2015, 10:12:02 PM »
Congratulations.  You are now on your way to Super Villain status.  Enjoy the pursuit of World Domination.

*rubs hands together menacingly*

Please explain?  Does a digital stylus wear out as time goes on, or am I thinking of a completely different thing?  (I might just not understand digital art/design)

Also, KicknRun, I second Jethan on the Evil Villain status.  I'm just glad that I have extra time today, or this game would get a whole lot more menacing!
And how long did it take you to find a bayonet?  It must be a whole lot more effective than the Steel/Iron swords I'm using.

haha i haven't played the game in a year but from my screencaps

a large man attacks, waving a bayonet.

yup i think u have to attack a military outpost of some sort. and basically with that bayonet you can shoot then stab and you become so much deadlier but it seems you don't have a gun yet so oops (i didn't take that many screencaps????? there isn't any of actual combat) but please acquire a gun and some bullets but i'm pretty sure attacking the outpost will in fact kill you so get prepared

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9380 on: August 14, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »
This is completely random, but I had to share it with somebody. Yesterday I overheard this conversation.

Guy 1: (to Guy 2) We're crazy drinkers!
Guy 2: (laughing) Yeah!
They put their drinks next to each other and notice they're at the same level.
Guy 1: Our drinks are brothers!
Guy 2: Drink with me so they stay brothers!
They both drink.

Think this was an exchange between two drunk guys at a bar? Think again. This was a six and a three year old drinking seltzer water. It took all of my power not to laugh out loud during the whole thing.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #9381 on: August 14, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »
This is completely random, but I had to share it with somebody. Yesterday I overheard this conversation.

They both drink.

Think this was an exchange between two drunk guys at a bar? Think again. This was a six and a three year old drinking seltzer water. It took all of my power not to laugh out loud during the whole thing.

I had to replay the scene in my head after I read the last comment. This is hilarious.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9382 on: August 14, 2015, 10:42:10 PM »

They both drink.

That's adorable!  It's also hilarious.

I think that exchange needs to be translated into rhyming German verse and sung at Oktoberfest.  Trink, brüderlein, trink!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #9383 on: August 14, 2015, 10:50:30 PM »

Ahh, the stylus itself does not, but at least on Wacom tablets the nib that goes in the stylus does and needs to be replaced. Here's a video that shows the process but it's also two minutes long so probably a lot of talking :P
The nibs wear down as you use them and if they wear down too far it's REALLY hard to get them out, which is... exactly what I have done to mine :I
YEET

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
« Reply #9384 on: August 14, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »
Ahhhh, that makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation, the video was very informative!  (Two minutes isn't too long)
How long does the nib usually last for you? 
Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #9385 on: August 14, 2015, 11:45:26 PM »
Ahhhh, that makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation, the video was very informative!  (Two minutes isn't too long)
How long does the nib usually last for you?

Wellll, I've gone through two this year, and I've heard complaints that the defaults wear really quickly, so about three and a half months for each (I ordered some that are harder so they're supposed to last longer). I think they're compressed felt?? It'll be an interesting experiment :0
YEET

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9386 on: August 15, 2015, 05:53:51 AM »
That's adorable!  It's also hilarious.

I think that exchange needs to be translated into rhyming German verse and sung at Oktoberfest.  Trink, brüderlein, trink!
Yeeessss, I'd drink to that!
Prost!
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #9387 on: August 15, 2015, 06:02:22 AM »
"Oh, a forget-me-not ring ! It would be perfect for Laufey !

I'm endlessly surprised when people remember something that I've mentioned once in some thread and mostly as an afterthought/an excuse for spamming. Forget-me-nots are bestest. :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:04:16 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9388 on: August 15, 2015, 06:05:18 AM »
I watched Mad Max for the first time tonight, in my house with the speakers and bass cranked so high the windows rattled a little.

It's just as glorious as you have all said, and I can see how it was 100% Fimby endorsed  ;D
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9389 on: August 15, 2015, 06:24:06 AM »
It's just as glorious as you have all said, and I can see how it was 100% Fimby endorsed  ;D

I KNOW RIGHT i read thru the whole artbook yesterday and while I feel they should've had MORE STUFF in it because it's been in the works for over a decade (some of the concept art is gloriously 90s) but there were all these explanations and worldbuilding exposition and it's such a weaponizing culture because everything is scavenged from the past and has to be useful and

that is a very long sentence haha
you'll know where to find me.