Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2355058 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4710 on: April 27, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
...kind of my first time being openly agender at a thing, and it went both as expected and better than expected.  ... this is what I've learnt from it:

- being openly non-binary is a CHORE. You HAVE to keep telling people all the time. Nobody questioned it when I said so, nobody was being mean or ignorant, but no matter how you look or what you wear (even that infographic tank top), people will hardly ever consider you might be something other than a girl or a boy. ... it's not like people were closeminded or anything -  just Not Used to people like me. But they tried! I could pop into the web editor's office and ask them to change the pronouns they used for me in one of the articles, and they did, no questions asked. (I felt a surge of power after that. ME. BEING CORRECTLY ADDRESSED ON THE INTERNET.)

- I felt safe the whole time! It's probably something with the area I live in being very chill about these things, but despite being surrounded by tall and beefy teenagers ... that could very well be the bullies of their schools, there wasn't even a mean glance thrown my way. So that's cool!

- I learned something important: backstage people. The backstage people are weird and queer and the kinda people I hang out with. Guess who incidentally ended up sharing the room with backstage people? Yours truly. I made a good decision the day I chose rooms.

- I can finally say "not actually a girl" without feeling remorse. It's, ugh, complicated, giving up on a title I wore so proudly for so long - and I'm not gonna go indepth on why I made the decision of giving it up (unless you ask, I guess), and sometimes I still feel this pang of intense doubt like ... what if i'm wrong and only doing this to follow a weird trend or to get attention...
BUT
1) i have never done anything to be trendy in my entire life, and i'm not starting now
2) i can very well attract attention without being weird about gender.
3) would i do ALL THIS if my feelings weren't at least a teensy bit valid? Like, it would be SO MUCH MORE PRACTICAL why am i even doing this to myself if not
4) am i going to pretend I have not spent hours, days, months, maybe years mulling this over and over.

Haiz, that's great!  It's always rough for anyone who's the first to break out of old categories, whether it's "female computer programmer" or "non-Christian elected official" or "neither a boy nor a girl."  You'll face an uphill battle, at least to explain things to well-meaning but uninformed people.  But at least awareness is gradually growing of how different people can be in *all kinds of ways.*  So any new (to them) variations should come as less of a shock as time goes by. 

I'm glad to hear people at the UKM thing were respectful and accepting.  Today's teenagers -- at least in Norway -- seem a lot more open-minded than the lot I grew up with!  And good for you for finding "birds of a feather" to hang out with.  For me, that's always been one of the pleasures of any big get-together.

Rock on with your bad self!   :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #4711 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
Yay for social, blergh for coffee.

Ooh, that's right. You're that one Norwegian who doesn't like coffee. I'm not sure I can trust a Norwegian over the age of 15 who doesn't like coffee

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4712 on: April 27, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Yay for social, blergh for coffee.

FINALLY a norwegian person that doesn't worship coffee either- wait. what happened to your username

Sigrid: that sounds great!!!! Getting diplomas/certificates is awesome and words about the stuff you did is also awesome

Sunflower: ahah wow thank you? To be fair I don't feel very ground-breaking, I mean, the number of times I've heard people talk about Sweden's amazing official gender-neutral pronoun.... Norway needs to catch up
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4713 on: April 27, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »
More tea ?
Vegetable flavoured water? ... I'll pass.

Ooh, that's right. You're that one Norwegian who doesn't like coffee. I'm not sure I can trust a Norwegian over the age of 15 who doesn't like coffee
*clenches left chest*
How do I remedy this? Would it help if I dressed up as a viking, drenched myself in crude north sea oil and climbed a mountain, then made rude gestures in the general direction of Sweden and England?

Actually that does sound kinda appealing...

FINALLY a norwegian person that doesn't worship coffee either- wait. what happened to your username

Ooh, nevermind, the cavalry is here! Coffee-unworshippers unite!

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4714 on: April 27, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »
wait. what happened to your username
I THOUGHT I WAS GOING CRAZY HERE

THANK YOU HAIZ FOR ASKING THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

Quote from: Haiz
Sigrid: that sounds great!!!! Getting diplomas/certificates is awesome and words about the stuff you did is also awesome

Yesss. It was an entire paragraph (and a fairly long one too) just about my general awesomeness. Most best self-confidence boost

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4715 on: April 27, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »

I THOUGHT I WAS GOING CRAZY HERE

THANK YOU HAIZ FOR ASKING THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

Embarrassing confession: I didn't notice that before Haiz EDIT ...mentioned it. What is it with me and forgetting to write large parts of sentences today?  :-[
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:46:14 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4716 on: April 27, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
Vegetable flavoured water? ... I'll pass.
A good tea. Not that thing some friends were buying in supermarket. In the past

I saw that too. Luckily the avatar is still the same ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4717 on: April 27, 2015, 03:32:44 PM »
You guys are out of the loop. It was the international waffle day this weekend!

Also there was an option...

it was there...

I had to, it was there for a reason. The option was given to me.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4718 on: April 27, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
Too much of my internet time has been spent being called Vaffle.

No more.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4719 on: April 27, 2015, 03:51:53 PM »
You guys are out of the loop. It was the international waffle day this weekend!

Also there was an option...

it was there...

I had to, it was there for a reason. The option was given to me.

Isn't the international waffle day on March 25th, though?? I vaguely remember having waffles for the occasion

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4720 on: April 27, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »
Isn't the international waffle day on March 25th, though?? I vaguely remember having waffles for the occasion
... Whoops. Well, close enough.

Too much of my internet time has been spent being called Vaffle.

No more.

You may or may not have made a huge mistake.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:05:40 PM by Fimbulwaffle »

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4721 on: April 27, 2015, 05:23:25 PM »
I didn't even know it was possible to change your username

Ooh, nevermind, the cavalry is here! Coffee-unworshippers unite!
UNITE
.......... might be my czech half messing up the Norwegian Code or something, though. but then again, I don't drink beer either......... I'm a production mistake

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #4722 on: April 27, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »
I heard Tea....Tea summoned me! I have over 12 different brands of tea in my house, it is the drink of life! The sweet glorious liquid that warms you up and awakens the secret potential of your system. (yes I may be going slightly overboard, but tea...)
I do like coffee as well, but not as much as tea.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4723 on: April 27, 2015, 06:06:34 PM »
I heard Tea....Tea summoned me! I have over 12 different brands of tea in my house, it is the drink of life! The sweet glorious liquid that warms you up and awakens the secret potential of your system. (yes I may be going slightly overboard, but tea...)
*drinks from enormous teacup with three teabag tags sticking out from it* ahaha ha yes

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4724 on: April 27, 2015, 06:13:18 PM »

*drinks from enormous teacup with three teabag tags sticking out from it* ahaha ha yes
More tea with more people ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: