Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2377052 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4695 on: April 25, 2015, 01:53:56 PM »
Kfdkdjkmfkilgfkl thank you guys??  I feel like my voice is really puny,, but I love talking on stage so I do it anyway!!
(Laufey, you've already read my ssss themed poem, it's this one

the first poem is untranslateable because it's mostly just playing around with words and sounds, but the second goes a bit like this:

fellow snowflakes
don't melt just yet
question marks attack again
so sharpen your parantheses
stock up on semicolons
your soul might be a battlefield
but the trench is not a mine
that's not where you'll find answers

I know who we are
finder of paths
warrior of dreams
hunter of stars

tread carefully
and ancient forest has taken root in your heart
with cosmos on your back
and a storm in your eyes
follow your spine
the ice won't break
we've survived a summer day before

of course it sounds pretty awful in english, just trust me that the norwegian version is actually good ehehehh

(in other news, our room has been dubbed the Gender Room. I was not the one to write it on the whiteboard, either. Trondheim has been confirmed for queer capital of norway)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 01:57:51 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4696 on: April 25, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
Congratulations to both Sigrid Marie and Haiz!!
Sigrid that sounds like such a pretty exhibition space hhh I love the ocean so much? And good luck on the performance art piece! I hope it turns out great!

Haiz I didn't understand a word of that (read translation now and it's really pretty!! you are such a great poet omg) but I second what everyone else is saying, you sound really confident! :D You have a great stage presence ^^
YEET

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4697 on: April 25, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
Haiz you're voice is not puny. And you've got my mind itching to poem, I haven't written poems in forever. It should be fun.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4698 on: April 25, 2015, 04:47:48 PM »
the first poem is untranslateable because it's mostly just playing around with words and sounds, but the second goes a bit like this:

fellow snowflakes
don't melt just yet
question marks attack again
so sharpen your parantheses
stock up on semicolons
your soul might be a battlefield
but the trench is not a mine
that's not where you'll find answers

I know who we are
finder of paths
warrior of dreams
hunter of stars

tread carefully
and ancient forest has taken root in your heart
with cosmos on your back
and a storm in your eyes
follow your spine
the ice won't break
we've survived a summer day before

of course it sounds pretty awful in english, just trust me that the norwegian version is actually good ehehehh
It doesn't matter if it sounds not like a classical poem in english, what is important, to my mind, for a poem, is touching people. Congratulations, you do it :)

And congratulations to Sigrid Marie too !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

MrNegative

• pretty cool
« Reply #4699 on: April 25, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
Amazon has been holding my mechanical keyboard hostage for the past few days because I didn't give them extra money to care more. It's been ordered since Tuesday now and they haven't gotten around to shipping it yet.  :(
Native: :usa:
Learning: :sweden:, :vaticancity:
On hold: :denmark:

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #4700 on: April 25, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »
SPEAKING OF
the video of my poem performance is up
(the interview still isn't up, we have to write the article for it still)

http://tv.ukm.no/fylke/sor-trondelag/2015/6713-Helen-Olaussen/
(...)

I had forgotten what your voice sounds like. Also it might have changed slightly since the last time we met, but you sound really confident in this one. And also I just re-realised how much I love your dialect oh my it's so pretty. AND IT WORKS SO WELL WITH THESE POEMS (I know you might have altered your dialect a bit for the poems to sound right and rhyme right here and there BUT STILL I LOVE YOUR DIALECT so shush)

And that last poem - yeah, it sounds way good in Norwegian. I love how you use your body language to accompany your Words. Oh wow, Haiz, this is awesome! YOU are awesome!
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4701 on: April 26, 2015, 04:39:48 AM »
Dkflikfhd thank you guys again
maybe I will one day fulfill my dreams of doing slam poetry

ANYWAY I promised to link to the interview I did with Professional Musician Person
I am INCREDIBLY awkward in it, this was NOT what I thought I'd be doing when I agreed to write articles for the web page,,, but I had fun with it anyway so

http://ukm.no/sor-trondelag/2015/04/26/videoreportasje-intervjuet-charlotte-audestad-med-en-enhjorning/

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #4702 on: April 26, 2015, 02:13:27 PM »
I couldn't find the Peotry thread, but if someone has and would like to, you can move this song/poem there, just say it was by me, please. Any way, here it is, Barges (scout song) with some lyrics changed to "Cleansers", for Reynir to sing.

"Cleansers"

Cleansers, I would like to go with you
I would like to fight the trolls with you
Cleansers, have you candles in your hold
Do you fight the trollsies brave and bold.

Out of my window, looking in the night
I can see the Cleansers every night
Silently board the boat into the wild
As I wish I wasnt a non-immune child.

Lanterns shining green and lanterns shining red
I can see them leave from in my bed.

Chugging sounds start, and engines start to roar
As the boats with cleansers leave our shore.

Out of my window looking in the night
Stars are brightly lighting up the sky
As the Cleansers seem to skip right by.

Taking the cleansers out away to sea
How I wish that some day they could take me.

How my heart longs to sail away with you
As you fight the trolls to make anew
But I must stay here, beside my window clear
As the Cleansers sail away from here.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4703 on: April 26, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »
Very nice poem! You can find the poetry thread here:
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=4.255
(I hope this works, writing on the tablet is a real pain...)
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4704 on: April 27, 2015, 04:48:02 AM »
okay so I got home yesterday!! I didn't make it to the next stage of UKM where representatives from the whole country compete against each other, I'm sliiightly disappointed (they choose very few representatives but there were only tWO literature performances TWO. I HAD A PRETTY GOOD FIGHTING CHANCE) but I had a lot of fun and people kept telling me how much they liked my performance and I feel generally great. Even after being surrounded by Too Many People the whole weekend and having to sleep on the floor for two nights.

It was, as I've mentioned earlier, kind of my first time being openly agender at a thing, and it went both as expected and better than expected (I hope I'm not making people uncomfortable talking about these things ahah ha), this is what I've learnt from it:

- being openly non-binary is a CHORE. You HAVE to keep telling people all the time. Nobody questioned it when I said so, nobody was being mean or ignorant, but no matter how you look or what you wear (even that infographic tank top), poeple will hardly ever consider you might be something other than a girl or a boy. There was both a trans boy and a trans woman at the event (together, we form the Trans Trinity), and they never had to correct anyone or anything, so it's not like people were closeminded or anything -  just Not Used to people like me. But they tried! I could pop into the web editor's office and ask them to change the pronouns they used for me in one of the articles, and they did, no questions asked. (I felt a surge of power after that. ME. BEING CORRECTLY ADRESSED ON THE INTERNET.)

- One of the most notable moments was when my presenter said my preferred pronouns and then called me "she" in the SAME SENTENCE. I wasn't even mad, just doubled over in laughter backstage. (To be fair, my presenter was a young boy and he might not have even understood what I meant at all. He apologized later so all good)

- I felt safe the whole time! It's probably something with the area I live in being very chill about these things, but despite being surrounded by tall and beefy teenagers (from my perspective, anyway. Hey, do you know how many metal bands attend UKM? SO MANY. welcome to norway) that could very well be the bullies of their schools, there wasn't even a mean glance thrown my way. So that's cool!

- So I had this impression, from the myriad of performances that are just blonde teenagers singing mainstream love songs with their acoustic guitars, that most everyone would be Straight and Normal - and I've got nothing against straight and normal but it gets exhausting to be alone among people like that, sorry. But then I learned something important: backstage people. The backstage people are weird and queer and the kinda people I hang out with. Guess who incidentally ended up sharing the room with backstage people? Yours truly. I made a good decision the day I chose rooms. (and I tried to not make the weekend all about my gender or how queer i am..... i tried. it wasn't my fault we ended up like this. I'm not the one who dubbed our room 'the Gender Room'. Though I am a little disappointed they watched Pride without me.)

- I can finally say "not actually a girl" without feeling remorse. It's, ugh, complicated, giving up on a title I wore so proudly for so long - and I'm not gonna go indepth on why I made the decision of giving it up (unless you ask, I guess), and sometimes I still feel this pang of intense doubt like. what if i'm wrong. what if i'm wrong and only doing this to follow a weird trend or to get attention or or or
BUT
1) i have never done anything to be trendy in my entire life, and i'm not starting now
2) i can very well attract attention without being weird about gender.
3) would i do ALL THIS if my feelings weren't at least a teensy bit valid? Like, it would be SO MUCH MORE PRACTICAL why am i even doing this to myself if not
4) am i going to pretend I have not spent hours, days, months, maybe years mulling this over and over. am i really

SO YEAH that was. uh. my adventure in trying to get my gender acknowledged at an official event with real people.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #4705 on: April 27, 2015, 06:24:46 AM »
Congrats, Haiz!!! You're very brave, and deserve all the hugs. And I'm glad you seem to have had a good time! :D

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #4706 on: April 27, 2015, 10:20:32 AM »
I kinda screwed around with some of the panels, (By some I mean ten and more coming) but I cant get them in here, so I will seek help and post them in a relevant thread soon.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #4707 on: April 27, 2015, 01:55:22 PM »
I have a maths test to study for but I just absolutely cannot concentrate and it's super frustrating???

On a more positive side, I had my last meeting with the guys in the museum project yesterday (the event was in March, this was just sort of a celebration). And we all got certificates (is that the correct word for it??) for the work we had done there. Most of it was about the project itself, but in the end there was a paragraph where the project leaders had written something about each of us. And the stuff they wrote in my was SO NICE HHHHH.

And I'm meeting one of the group members for coffee next week, so. Yay for being social, I guess?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4708 on: April 27, 2015, 02:15:57 PM »
And I'm meeting one of the group members for coffee next week, so. Yay for being social, I guess?

Yay for social, blergh for coffee.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4709 on: April 27, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
Yay for social, blergh for coffee.
More tea ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: