Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2302928 times)

MR_PLINKETT

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17685 on: October 10, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »
Can you not with the homophobic slang, please

Edited

I forgot where I am.

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #17686 on: October 10, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17687 on: October 10, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
Sc0ut, that thing of how religions overlay and permeate each other is fascinating. There was a lot of discussion on the topic back in the early forum. I find interesting that there is such an overlap between areas that were principally goddess-worshipping in their early history and now have a lot of Mariolatry or are strongly associated with female saints.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #17688 on: October 10, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
Trust me. It could be far, far worse than that.

Redditors?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17689 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:46 AM »
Sc0ut, that thing of how religions overlay and permeate each other is fascinating. There was a lot of discussion on the topic back in the early forum. I find interesting that there is such an overlap between areas that were principally goddess-worshipping in their early history and now have a lot of Mariolatry or are strongly associated with female saints.

Interesting! This aspect is a bit foreign to me. In Eastern Christianity there isn't that much emphasis on Mary or other female saints as there is in, say, Catholicism, so I'm not sure if we didn't have much goddess worshiping in this area to begin with, or it didn't survive, or survived in other forms. Do you remember which thread you discussed this in?

Róisín

« Reply #17690 on: October 11, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »
Some of the references were in the thread about Rituals in SSSS, more in the one on 'Speculation on Magic and Spirits; some also in the Comments discussions, quite awhile back. There were others, but offhand don't remember where- sorry!

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #17691 on: October 11, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »
I kinda want to know which came first. Did the religion start how with a focus on a goddess and that influenced their societal structure, or did their religion evolve to conform around their society. I've always found chicken-or-the-egg questions interesting to ponder.
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #17692 on: October 11, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
Redditors?

Sh-sh-sh-shhhhhhhhh.... don't summon the devil!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #17693 on: October 11, 2017, 01:46:54 PM »
I think there's also a word to be said about how pretty much all European Christian celebrations are a thin veneer of Jesus over very old, pagan customs.
Oh yes, there is definitely some amount of "let me help you ease in with some minor modifications" involved. I remember reading a second-hand report about a Christian (a Catholic, I'ld guess) missionary's activities in the Amazon, where he implied to some natives that if they don't convert, they'll wind up in hell.

They asked what hell is, he explained, and they were immediately very enthusiastic ... to go to hell immediately. It seems that if you're passing your nights without clothing or much of a building in an area where pretty much everything is dripping wet, staying warm is a bit of a challenge, who woulda thunk. So the missionary "checked back for info" and then told them that, alas, hell has gotten full and any newcomers would be forced to spend eternity in its freezing outskirts ...

So maybe the best way to tell religions apart might not be to look at what they have in common, but what they REFUSE to adopt from the other. ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #17694 on: October 11, 2017, 06:18:18 PM »
I was always amused by how Brigid/Bride got incorporated into early Irish Christianity as Saint Bridget. Didn't change much at all from the old goddess. And churches dedicated to Saint Patrick are still often dedicated to both Patrick and Bridget, or have a Bridget window or a Bridget chapel.

GunmanRex

• Scout
  • My legs are OK
« Reply #17695 on: October 11, 2017, 08:30:09 PM »
I was always amused by how Brigid/Bride got incorporated into early Irish Christianity as Saint Bridget. Didn't change much at all from the old goddess. And churches dedicated to Saint Patrick are still often dedicated to both Patrick and Bridget, or have a Bridget window or a Bridget chapel.
I thought Saint Brigid was a real person. Wasn't it that she just shared the name and the church just attached festivals, like Imbolc, to the Saint. Where the Church just kinda grafted the traditions surrounding Brigid onto a local prominent nun. 

Also, draft of the SSSS rpg rulebook for those of you who are interested:http://i.4cdn.org/tg/1507676383350.pdf
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:56:36 PM by GunmanRex »
Native: :usa:
Steadily Studying: :ireland:
Atrophied: :france:
Future: :wales: :scotland:

:chap16::chap17::chap18:

I ramble a lot

Róisín

« Reply #17696 on: October 11, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »
She was a person. Or more accurately, several persons whose stories got conflated into one, then grafted onto the earlier goddess stuff.

The West Irish story I heard as a kid was that when Patrick built his first church he chose to make a point by building it on the sacred site of Brigid, where each year at the end of winter she would be honoured with lights, fire, music, poetry and the like. The first year, the locals climbed the hill and burned down the church. Didn't kill anyone, their Lady wouldn't have liked that, but the church was right where they normally built their bonfire. Patrick rebuilt. Next year, same. And the year after. Eventually he made a treaty with the local folk that they wouldn't keep burning down his church, and he in return would leave a space in his church for Brigid. Which is why Patrick churches are supposed to either have a joint dedication, or a chapel or window named for 'Saint Bridget'.

JoB has a good point with 'let me ease you in with minor modifications'. That happened a lot.

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17697 on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:57 PM »
Redditors?

Christ almighty, not redditors

anything but redditors.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #17698 on: October 12, 2017, 12:40:01 AM »
Christ almighty, not redditors

anything but redditors.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

(I am a redditor, but like to think I'm one of the house trained ones ;) )
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17699 on: October 12, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
She was a person. Or more accurately, several persons whose stories got conflated into one, then grafted onto the earlier goddess stuff.

The West Irish story I heard as a kid was that when Patrick built his first church he chose to make a point by building it on the sacred site of Brigid, where each year at the end of winter she would be honoured with lights, fire, music, poetry and the like. The first year, the locals climbed the hill and burned down the church. Didn't kill anyone, their Lady wouldn't have liked that, but the church was right where they normally built their bonfire. Patrick rebuilt. Next year, same. And the year after. Eventually he made a treaty with the local folk that they wouldn't keep burning down his church, and he in return would leave a space in his church for Brigid. Which is why Patrick churches are supposed to either have a joint dedication, or a chapel or window named for 'Saint Bridget'.

"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England. "
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: