Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2348214 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17715 on: October 18, 2017, 09:50:54 AM »
History double major rant incoming because I have no where else to post this.
Spoiler: show
Studying history has made me angry at my old self and so many people who hold the view point that religion held science back in the middle ages.  The middle ages weren't a by product of Christianity but rather a byproduct of the collapse of Rome and losing thousands of years of knowledge with it. and the catholic church didn't repress science in the middle ages; They're the reason so much knowledge survived the collapse of the roman empire and kept it around. Plus bishops/priests/monks were actively perusing science in the middle ages but many new age intellectuals love to say that Rome is the enemy of reason/scientific progress. I always cringe at that one graph of 'here look! If it weren't for Christians we'd have space elevators now! hurrrr' so much intellectual dishonesty. And it makes me angry because this is a common view point among every single person I've ever asked about the church in the middle ages. 

And it blows my mind to this day people will accept that the church hated science when it's not even true. And so many people hold this view its scary. All they need to disprove this is a simple medieval studies course and maybe things might start changing.

/end angry history nerd raeg

Angry history nerd agreement

I hate these people so much. It's inaccurate and can be disproven with basic ducking research. Hell, I'm an apatheist (I literally don't give a damn if God exists or not) who's had periods of militant atheism, and even I can admit the Church has preserved a ton of knowledge over the years. The whole 'let's fight people who challenge our orthodoxy' thing didn't even become a thing until the Protestant Revolution started destabilizing the Catholic Church's views and power. Religion and science don't have to be opposed, just look at some of the things Pope Francis has said about evolution and the Big Bang.
Bloody 'Dung Ages' ideas infecting popular culture...
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #17716 on: October 18, 2017, 12:04:14 PM »

*Another history nerd nods in approval*
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #17717 on: October 18, 2017, 01:06:58 PM »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #17718 on: October 18, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »
Studying history has made me angry at my old self and so many people who hold the view point that religion held science back in the middle ages.  The middle ages weren't a by product of Christianity but rather a byproduct of the collapse of Rome and losing thousands of years of knowledge with it. and the catholic church didn't repress science in the middle ages; They're the reason so much knowledge survived the collapse of the roman empire and kept it around. Plus bishops/priests/monks were actively perusing science in the middle ages but many new age intellectuals love to say that Rome is the enemy of reason/scientific progress. I always cringe at that one graph of 'here look! If it weren't for Christians we'd have space elevators now! hurrrr' so much intellectual dishonesty. And it makes me angry because this is a common view point among every single person I've ever asked about the church in the middle ages. 

And it blows my mind to this day people will accept that the church hated science when it's not even true. And so many people hold this view its scary. All they need to disprove this is a simple medieval studies course and maybe things might start changing.

I hate these people so much. It's inaccurate and can be disproven with basic f***ing research. Hell, I'm an apatheist (I literally don't give a damn if God exists or not) who's had periods of militant atheism, and even I can admit the Church has preserved a ton of knowledge over the years. The whole 'let's fight people who challenge our orthodoxy' thing didn't even become a thing until the Protestant Revolution started destabilizing the Catholic Church's views and power. Religion and science don't have to be opposed, just look at some of the things Pope Francis has said about evolution and the Big Bang.
Bloody 'Dung Ages' ideas infecting popular culture...

Yeah except no.

What I see here is a lot of conflation and confusion, and we have different attitudes emerging at different times.

The space elevator idea doesn't work because it presumes that we have an unbroken development of empiricism from Aristotle to now that was delayed by the emergence of christianity. That is only partly true. The simple reality is that for all their cleverness, the ancients had major conceptual hurdles to overcome - and they didn't. Mostly for historical reason. Aristotle's school went into decline - they went from research to just commentary (oh hey just like a lot of university programs nowadays) and then eventually just disappeared. Also, unfortunately for everyone involved, platonism and neo-platonism found a lot of favour and were more active - and endured. Ancient philosophy, today, is just a history of platonism and neo-platonism. Aristotle and the pre-socratics, well some of them, as well as the geometers of the ancient world, were the closest thing we had to scientists.

And then you add the christian element.

Read any Church father and you will find a virulent anti-pagan knowledge tract. These people hated the philosophers and the naturalism of Greek and Roman cultures. Justinian did close the philosophical schools. Granted those schools were largely neo-platonic, so who cares. We would be better off without their mystical mathematics.

To then say that the Church conserved this greco-roman heritage is highly dubious. What actually happened is that the church was also composed of a lot of roman aristocrats (and greek aristocrats in the case of Byzantium) that did not share the same zeal for destruction of the pagan culture. They pushed for a "christian interpretation" of the classics so that they would not have to choose, as the saying went apparently, "between Christ and Cicero". You find the same attitude with the scholars of Baghdad. Intellectuals, impressed by the thinking of the ancients, tried to read into them legitimization of their worldviews. They conserved, but whatever they could not fit in their worldview was discarded, censured, or simply neglected. To treat the church as safekeeper of the tradition is nonsensical. It kept what it thought grounded it's claims or what classical educated church clergies were able to "concord" with scriptures. In other words, ancient knowledge and their enduring authority were used to buttress church dogma. Anything that fell outside was discarded.

As such, to say that because of the church we are not on Mars IS somewhat disingenuous, so is claiming that the church kept the ball rolling.

Most of modern science has, in fact, been elaborated completely outside the context of the ancients and thanks to the rediscovery of a few text thought lost (specifically the Nature of Things of Lucretius, condemned and slandered by the Church Fathers and the Church)  but kept not just in monasteries (as the usual story goes) but also private collections. The reason we are not on Mars yet, if you want to play that game, is that Francis Bacon wasn't born 2500 years ago and recognized as a genius at that time. What Bacon formulated completely annihilated the hierarchy and authority of knowledge instituted by the church which had assimilated the Aristotelian (via Aquinas) and Plato (partly through Augustine, but platonic philosophy lends itself to christian otherworldliness - whereas a text like the Illiad, the Odyssey, or even the Tragedies, don't - hence what we got in terms of those are literally pure luck. For instance, why do we have a bunch of Euripides plays? Because we found a random codex that had all the plays in alphabetical order and we found a section of that codex. Those plays are not even his best ones - they are just the plays from one letter to another.) The combination of Bacon and Descartes, primed as it where by the work of renaissance writers such as Galileo and Newton, left the world of the ancient-medieval completely behind. There is no relation between the universe described by Aristotle and the one described by the early modern philosophers, even if these philosophers, educated often by the church/church dominated universities/and always under the watchful eye of the church, still used the language of the church.

So let's make something clear here. The Church DID suppress and persecute knowledge, both passively (through censure, control of what was read) and actively (people burned, forced to recant). The Church thrives on ignorance. Paul preferred fools and madmen, and so did its creation, along with lambs and those with childlike understanding.

I come from a place where the Church actively tried to control and limit education well into the 20th century, as well as trying to keep people in the countryside, even if that meant condemning people to bare subsistence and general misery, simply because it is in such environment that it thrives. Authority through control of information and the control of thought, reinforced by the community and the threat of excommunication and guilt. 

The Church does hate science. It hates anything that challenges its temporal authority and its dogma. What the church had, though, is intellectuals who pursued science despite their commitment to the church - for the simple reason that for many people there were no other options for education. But let's make something clear here - their achievements were accomplished DESPITE the church, certainly not THANKS to the church. If the lyceum was still around, these people would have had a free hand and pursued research in a way that is more akin to our modern university. Under the church, every discovery had to be subsumed to Church doctrine, justified in long introduction, demonstrated to not contradict holy writ or the authority of the local bishop.

We would already be touching the stars if Pagan Materialism and Naturalism bloomed into a proper tradition. It did not. Platonism became prevalent, it was picked up by this new sect called Christianity, which then developed it's own parallel power structure within the Roman empire, and came to dominate in the post-roman times. That Pagan Materialism and Naturalism was rediscovered during the renaissance, and developed and furthered into intellectual dynamite that led to the enlightenment and eventually 19th century and 20th century science as we know it as the ultimate, self-correcting model of knowledge creation.

You history nerds need to hit the books harder. 
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #17719 on: October 18, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »
You history nerds need to hit the books harder. 

I'm sorry the Church in your area have been/are being a bag of dicks, but kindly don't take it out on us.
I only disagree with the idea that the Church was responsible for the destruction of knowledge and actively hindered scientific progress during the Dark Ages, which seems to be a popular interpretation. I'm not putting the Church up as a proponent of enlightenment and progress and rationality, which it never has been. At best it was a preservative, and not a very good one, but still better than things being burned down like the rest of Europe during the fall of Rome.
As someone who lives in the American South, I'm no stranger to Christian Churches actively suppressing knowledge, ignoring basic human rights, and generally being stagnant moronic traditionalists. So I'm not arguing that the Church has been a threat to rational thought and progress. I'm merely ticked off at the idea that religion is universally a bad thing, or that the Church has never accomplished good things for knowledge. That's an absolute idea and a foolish one.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

MR_PLINKETT

« Reply #17720 on: October 18, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
I only disagree with the idea that the Church was responsible for the destruction of knowledge and actively hindered scientific progress during the Dark Ages, which seems to be a popular interpretation.

Pretty much this is what I was attempting to get across. Plus the myth that there was no science in the middle ages or any kind of progress.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:09:00 PM by MR_PLINKETT »

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #17721 on: October 18, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
Those are indeed myths, myths that merit to be dispelled, but that does not give the Church a pass or warrants its rehabilitation. It's not because the general perception is wrong that its opposite is true.

Furthermore, the development of science in the middle ages was independent of the church (in terms of elaboration of techniques - we can thank things such as development of professional artisan organisations for that  - or again, in the domains of science, either men of intellectual dispositions within the church or at the service of lords.

As for the Church as preserver, I find that dubious at best as well - it survived, and I maintain that the little it preserved was hardly preserved out of a desire to preserve. There is even an argument that what got the ball rolling was a large infusion of books from when Constantinople fell to the Turks, with refugees carrying their own Greek books and reintroducing the lands of the Western Roman Empire to whole swaths of ancient literature.

As for religion being universally bad, it falls outside of the purview of my argument. But it's pretty darn bad, I dare say.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17722 on: October 18, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »
'It's not because the general perception is wrong that its opposite is true'. Yes. That.

Coming from yet another point of view, that of an active pagan with a science background, my take is different again. We need to take into account that 'The Church' is not simply a monolithic organisation with a single viewpoint, but is composed of individuals. Those individuals can have very different views, and take individual actions based on those views. How individual clergy interpret the requirements and strictures of their church varies greatly, depending on things like their own personality, their personal or familial agenda (Aliax, for instance, could probably tell you something about families that put their children into the church against the will of the said children, and the tragic results of that policy); the place of the church in local society, and many other factors.

I have had direct and personal experience of the Catholic church trying to suppress the beliefs, the culture and even the language and music of my folk, but I have also known of individual priests who tried to preserve and record it. Imperfectly, perhaps, because they were attempting to record information through their own filter, but the attempt was there.

Church policy has varied greatly down the ages, depending largely on the politics of the time, the personality and inclinations of the pope at any given time, and larger social movements such as the crusades or the growth of democracy. What was saved or lost, in terms of science and other knowledge, was often, as Vafhudr said, a mixture of pure chance and what was considered important by the clergy of the day.

Far too complex a discussion for the early hours of the morning of a day when I have to work! Might be back later.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #17723 on: October 18, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »

I learned all of this in school. I'm sorry the education in your country is so poor that there are a lot of people who deny all this. Also I'm still an atheist and I still think the harm done by Christianity throughout history outweighs the good. Your point is?...

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #17724 on: October 18, 2017, 09:18:32 PM »
I learned all of this in school. I'm sorry the education in your country is so poor that there are a lot of people who deny all this. Also I'm still an atheist and I still think the harm done by Christianity throughout history outweighs the good. Your point is?...

People are poorly educated and/or disregard basic evidence when it comes to history, and allow their biases regarding organized religion to override the nuances of what actually happened.
Spoiler: me being pissed at our educational system • show
If Plinkett's American, hey, the education over here is incredibly poor- we have states that deny that the Civil War here was about slavery, and also states that try to mandate 'teaching the controversy' with regards to evolution, aka 'f*** Darwin we have a Bible'.
Am I bitter? Nooo, whatever gave you that idea?

Regardless, should probably move past this topic soon since it's sensitive, complex, and may result in inflamed tempers.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #17725 on: October 19, 2017, 03:50:07 AM »
People are poorly educated and/or disregard basic evidence when it comes to history, and allow their biases regarding organized religion to override the nuances of what actually happened.
If Plinkett's American, hey, the education over here is incredibly poor- we have states that deny that the Civil War here was about slavery, and also states that try to mandate 'teaching the controversy' with regards to evolution, aka 'f*** Darwin we have a Bible'.

Regardless, should probably move past this topic soon since it's sensitive, complex, and may result in inflamed tempers.

I agree with this very much.

From the other side of the coin, in my state in Australia the state university is so anti-Christian that even mentioning that anything Christian had influence on a topic gets you warnings from the uni board u___u Not so bad that people will actually walk out of a lecture, but it will get you a lot of tension in the room, along with pen-clicking and rustling of papers.

This was about two years ago - somehow, looking at the state of the ... state right now, it's probably not improved a ton.

Edit: also meant to add, in case that wasn't clear, neither extreme is good at all. Pretending things didn't happen or aren't true because you're biased doesn't end well for accurate depiction of history.

But you're probably right about moving on, too. It is a subject that can very easily flame up.

Have a cheetah

(...do we have no .gifv embedding support? :'o Or am I doing things horribly wrong when trying?) bleh, just giving the url for now
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:05:22 AM by Lenny »
Am notified of private messages via email.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #17726 on: October 19, 2017, 05:44:24 AM »
Pretty much this is what I was attempting to get across. Plus the myth that there was no science in the middle ages or any kind of progress.
Hello, my major in third year as an History student at university was Middle-Age and I highly disagree. So many clichés...Don’t even try to talk about boiling oil.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #17727 on: October 19, 2017, 05:56:32 AM »

:-\ That’s always bad, Ragnarok, but the good thing I can see it that, even with a poor and biaised education, some of you still want to learn and think by themselves. The general teaching remains a problem, I won’t deny it, but as long as we think, discuss, share, listen and learn, experimenting other informations or ways to teach, I want to have hope.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17728 on: October 19, 2017, 06:12:25 AM »
Mélusine, true indeed. While education systems in many parts of the world are degrading, or even being purposefully downgraded, and many of the poor are losing access to them, we are still able to seek out additional learning for ourselves (says the person who as a young woman was often last out of the library on a Saturday night). We still have books, the internet, and people from whom we can learn, even in America.

To my mind, one of the great deficiencies in modern education is that logic, reasoning and analytical thought is rarely taught nowadays. We can cram facts, sure, but we also need to learn how to think about  and understand those facts. And also how to work out whether what we are being taught as fact is garbage and nonsense.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #17729 on: October 19, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
We can cram facts, sure, but we also need to learn how to think about  and understand those facts. And also how to work out whether what we are being taught as fact is garbage and nonsense.

Yup.

It's impossible to teach all the facts in the universe; they won't all fit into anybody's head (including, of course, the teacher's.) And it's impossible to tell which facts students will need later on. What needs to be taught is that and why it matters to know things and to be accurate about it; how to learn things; how to tell that you need to learn something rather than assuming that you already know it; how to correct yourself when it turns out that you had something wrong; and, crucially, that yes you are going to get some things wrong and it's OK to admit this so that you can learn better!

-- but what really gets me about most education is that it so often manages to kill, in most people, the natural impulse to feel that Learning Stuff Is Fun. Every really little kid loves learning. And we all assume that every slightly older kid hates school; and all too often it's true. I still have trouble making myself read anything I'm supposed to be reading -- though I'm a voracious reader of nearly anything that nobody (including myself) has told me I have to read. I got that disadvantage in school. I think all too many other people get it too; and some of them don't have enough opposing forces in their lives to work against it.

-- on the topic of the medieval church, I don't feel qualified to weigh in, as five minutes in this discussion leads me to think that this is an area in which I was probably taught some Stuff That Wasn't So (in both directions); but I am finding the discussion fascinating, for what that's worth.

Oh, also FWIW: education in the USA, like most other stuff in the USA, is highly variable, depending on exactly which school system, and often which individual school and even which individual teacher, you're talking about.