Author Topic: The Science Thread  (Read 12241 times)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
The Science Thread
« on: April 21, 2015, 11:33:42 PM »
I'm Matt, I also want/am studying to become an Aerospace engineer. If you'd like to discuss feel free to shoot me a PM, I don't bite and I do enjoy good talks.
Hi. I'm some chick from Michigan that wants to become an aerospace engineer and/or a pilot. I like reading and writing a bunch, and I play bass (poorly). Aside from science and aviation, music is easily my biggest passion.
whaaaaaaat there are so many other people who also want to be rocket scientists/pilots/whatever here (SpaceX just opened a Seattle office, and I was ridiculously excited) (also have you *seen* the postage stamp they're trying to land their first-stage on??? I am *so impressed* that they've managed to hit it both times!)
this is insane
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

BreezeLouise

Re: Aerospace
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 11:58:53 PM »
Oh my gosh, really? I think this might literally be the largest number of aerospace enthusiasts I've seen in one forum.

Like I was telling Matt in PM, I'm more into the aeronautical side of it, if you want to know the truth. (Specifically jet engines and stuff. Fluid dynamics is so cool~)

That being said, rockets are still awesome. Not sure if this is the same thing, but I was watching some of that Grasshopper stuff. It was really cool, I was amazed how stable they got it to be. If that's not it, though, you should totally find a link or something! I'd be interested in checking it out.
Life is a state of mind.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:16:06 AM »
Like the Grasshopper, but on a ship that is trying VERY HARD to stay in one place. Specifically, an autonomous spaceport drone ship. (that name is just too awesome)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_spaceport_drone_ship
Also, see the yellow line? That's how big the landing legs are. The white line is the space it has to land in to not tip the thing over. O.O *continues fangirling*
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

BreezeLouise

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:27:37 AM »
Yeesh, no kidding? That's seriously impressive. (Also, that really is a cool name. xD) That reminds me a bit of that one NASA rover with the crazy advanced landing system. From what I hear, a lot of them were even surprised how well it worked.

Back to the rocket, thou, I'm actually not too familiar with SpaceX. I honestly just know them for the Grasshopper. I'm gonna have to do some Google surfing later.
Life is a state of mind.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:32:45 AM »
Gooooo, surf! their website is really neat! Are you talking about Curiosity's sky crane? (because that is totally awesome and stuffs)
The barge-landings haven't succeeded yet, they keep falling over when they hit the barge and exploding (the barge is still OK though). :(

BreezeLouise

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:46:22 AM »
Oh! Yeah, that sounds right. Sorry, it's been a while, I'm just recalling what I remember from a Neil deGrasse Tyson thing.

Ah, alright. That is totally understandable, that seems like a huge challenge. Frankly, I'm impressed it hit the barge at all. Do you know off the top of your head how SpaceX manages to fund it? It can't be cheap.

And, uhm, should we take this somewhere else? I think we might be fangirling up the intro thread a little bit.
Life is a state of mind.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
Do you know off the top of your head how SpaceX manages to fund it? It can't be cheap.
The CEO, Elon Musk, is like a multi-billionnaire (he made a lot of money as head of PayPal) and he decided that space was a cool thing to throw money at. Also really cool electric cars (he started Tesla Motors)

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 06:24:54 PM »
The CEO, Elon Musk, is like a multi-billionnaire (he made a lot of money as head of PayPal) and he decided that space was a cool thing to throw money at. Also really cool electric cars (he started Tesla Motors)

Plus, of course, SpaceX charge clients a few millions to use those rockets to launch satellites. They make quite a fair sum from launching Dragon modules that supply the ISS. The landing attempts are just side-ventures for fee-paying launches.

Yep, I'm another space and tech enthusiast. So, how many others here play Kerbal Space Program? It's THE game fo rthose who are interested in such thing.
My one-and-only: :uk:

BreezeLouise

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:45 PM »
Plus, of course, SpaceX charge clients a few millions to use those rockets to launch satellites. They make quite a fair sum from launching Dragon modules that supply the ISS. The landing attempts are just side-ventures for fee-paying launches.

Yep, I'm another space and tech enthusiast. So, how many others here play Kerbal Space Program? It's THE game fo rthose who are interested in such thing.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense, too. Is one of the eventual goals space tourism or something, too? I imagine it'd just have to be for extremely wealthy people at first, but they could probably still make some really good money.

I haven't played it yet, but I've heard no end of great things. I'm probably going to give it a try once I get some money.

(Seriously though, should we start a thread for this or something?)
Life is a state of mind.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 12:52:16 AM »
Okay, that makes a lot of sense, too. Is one of the eventual goals space tourism or something, too?
Sort of. Their final goal is to put people on Mars, and they are working on a crew-transport that could be used for tourism.

Richard Weir

• Scout
The AeroSpace Thread
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
A discussion in The Introduction thread revealed that a surprising number of us are interested in science, space exploration, aeronautics and rocketry, and somebody suggested this needs a proper thread.

So: here it is. This thread is for discussing Real-World science, space and rocketry. Try to avoid descending too deeply into Sci-Fi and games, but it should be fine to compare RL with Sci-Fi and games, and vice versa.

It would also be a very good idea to avoid discussing the very many conspiracy theories that are attracted to the subject: these tend to be extremely divisive, and I've seen communities become severely disrupted by such topics and good forum members banned for taking sides on the truth of such theories.

Specific examples of discussion suitable for this thread would be:

NASA's current projects, past glories and ambitions.
The ISS.
SpaceX -- commercialization of space and reusable rockets.
Colonizing Mars?
Skylon, Sabre and Reaction Engines Ltd.
High-performance aircraft.
Model rockets.
The space shuttle.
Rocket technology.

etc.

EDIT: Changed title to "Aerospace", because they are very closely associated. And Skylon is VERY much aerospace, as was the shuttle.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:46:51 AM by Richard Weir »
My one-and-only: :uk:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
Re: The Space Thread
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »
Yay! It is good that we have this thread instead of clogging the Intros thread more. ;)
Also, does anyone else find it surprising that there are this many of us in the fandom for a webcomic that is not particularly engineeringy/space-related? I guess futurey-webcomics just attract nerds?

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
So who likes the idea of "space elevators" / orbital towers now that high-tensile materials are becoming available?
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=720
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

P__

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »
spaaaaaace º.º
(sorry, nothing more constructive for now)

edit: there's a thing Curry drew, that seems appropriate:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:27:50 PM by P__ »
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »
So who likes the idea of "space elevators" / orbital towers now that high-tensile materials are becoming available?
*raises hand*
ME! ME!
We had to do a project a little while ago where we designed moon bases, and mine had a space elevator to get stuff to orbit, the top weight of which had docking-ports for visiting spacecraft. It was *awesome*.