Author Topic: Wiki discussion  (Read 52304 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Wiki discussion
« on: September 06, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
The SSSS Wiki is alivee!!! So I thought it would be a good idea to declare the "how about it?" topic dead, and open this new one. This is for all suggestions and discussions related to the wikia. Me and Solovei are the admins. I just added a couple of cool things (slider on the main page and achievements), but feel free to suggest more! I'll start off with a couple of points:

- Most Achievements are the standard ones wikia offers, but I can customize them. Any suggestions for funny SSSS-related titles and images? In this moment I remember various achievements for editing, posting photos, organizing in categories, joining, blogging, and messaging a fellow member. There are lots more, though.

- There are still lots of articles to be written, too many to keep count. That risks being a scary thing. What articles would be the most immediately needed?

Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Wiki discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »
The slider looks really cool! I may mess around with the layout and stuff just to make it look better...

The big article I can see us needing is one about the Rash Illness since it kind of gives the reason for the entire plot... possibly more technology articles too, but so far all we really know about is the Dalahasten (sorry, I don't know how to make the accented a's on my keyboard! T_T)  - though that was an awesome article, good job to whoever wrote that one!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
The slider looks really cool! I may mess around with the layout and stuff just to make it look better...

The big article I can see us needing is one about the Rash Illness since it kind of gives the reason for the entire plot... possibly more technology articles too, but so far all we really know about is the Dalahasten (sorry, I don't know how to make the accented a's on my keyboard! T_T)  - though that was an awesome article, good job to whoever wrote that one!

Thanks. It's the only article I've touched so far, so I'm starting to feel a bit possessive towards it :P
I'd love to make it even better or possibly contribute with some other articles, but too many irl projects and assignments have been piling up right now.

As for ¨ the button should be to the left of your enter button.

Nimphy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
Thanks. It's the only article I've touched so far, so I'm starting to feel a bit possessive towards it :P
I'd love to make it even better or possibly contribute with some other articles, but too many irl projects and assignments have been piling up right now.

As for ¨ the button should be to the left of your enter button.

It's what I consider to be the best article in all the wiki :)

Well, your keyboard may be different. Mine doesn't have umlauts or whatchamacallits at all.

While you're messing around with the layout, could you perchance make a wordmark to resemble the SSSS logo? Or should I do it myself?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:50:54 PM by Nimphy »

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
I'll go ahead and lock the other wiki thread.  It's all coming together pretty well, and I saw that link to the forum, too ;)

Is it safe to assume that this will be the debugging place for debuggy things to happen?
If so, then here's two small things I found:
    There's an ad at the top of the front page that pushes everything down a bit too much.
    The word "site" under Tuuri's picture on her page is missing a "t."
Feel free to PM.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »
    There's an ad at the top of the front page that pushes everything down a bit too much.

Yeah, I was planning to work on that. Hopefully I will be able to do it without breaking the entire front page~ :D I don't know if I could get rid of the ad, but I might be able to make the gallery slideshow thingy a bit narrower?

It's what I consider to be the best article in all the wiki :)

While you're messing around with the layout, could you perchance make a wordmark to resemble the SSSS logo? Or should I do it myself?
A wordmark? You mean like a logo?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:39:07 PM by Solovei »

Nimphy

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »
Yeah, I was planning to work on that. Hopefully I will be able to do it without breaking the entire front page~ :D
 A wordmark? You mean like a logo?

Oh, you'll take care of that? Good, I may sleep in peace :D

The wordmark is the thing that reads "Stand Still, Stay Silent Wiki" in the top-left corner. But maybe customizing it is a founder-only thing? Meh, you know what, I'll do it tomorrow. I already have a couple of ideas, anyway.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
I looked around and yeah, it doesn't seem like I'm able to edit that part.

Nimphy

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 05:41:33 AM »
I looked around and yeah, it doesn't seem like I'm able to edit that part.

I did it! It's rather amateur-ish, but I spent over an hour on it, so it'll have to do.

EDIT: after spending another hour on it, it seems the site won't accept a .jpg file. I think I'll just let it like it is...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:52:13 AM by Nimphy »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »
I'm not mad or anything, but whoever edited a word on the new "cleansers" article accidentally made me lose about 300 words of article about the cleansing process  :P

Lesson learned: Save edits often.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:56:51 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Nimphy

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 08:51:15 AM »
I'm not mad or anything, but whoever edited a word on the new "cleansers" article accidentally made me lose about 500 words of article about the cleansing process  :P

Lesson learned: Save edits often.

Three people editing that article... I'll just stick to editing Emil. (And no, not me, I haven't edited anything yet. I was about to.)

Logical Psycho

• Not a Grade A cat - but with a hat!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »
Well, your keyboard may be different. Mine doesn't have umlauts or whatchamacallits at all.

What's the language setting of your keyboard?
[start -> (settings ->) control panel -> (Clock and) Regional and Language options -> keyboards and languages -> change keyboards].

My keyboard is set at United States - International, which allows for easy use of umlauts etc.
So ' + e is é; `+ u is ù; " + a is ä.. And all other sign/vowel combinations.

Anyyyyway, that's an aside. Good luck wikiing  :)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
whoever edited a word on the new "cleansers" article accidentally made me lose about 300 words of article about the cleansing process  :P
That seems to have been me, sorry. I would've thought that a Wiki software, explicitly encouraging "minor" edits, would have some failsafe against such effects, very much like this forum warning you about posting when someone else posted to the same topic in the meantime ...

In case that there's some workaround to be found (there doesn't seem to be a matching FAQ on Wikias "Community Central"), what exactly was the effect when you tried posting the new version? Did you try to use your browser's "back" button to return to the text as edited by you?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
I think I'm going to move the "Recently Changed Pages" link out of the menu, since I wanted to fit more categories in there... Is that Ok with everyone? You can still see the activity list on the front page and also in the sidebar of most pages.

Nimphy

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
I think I'm going to move the "Recently Changed Pages" link out of the menu, since I wanted to fit more categories in there... Is that Ok with everyone? You can still see the activity list on the front page and also in the sidebar of most pages.

Of course, not like there's no other way of discovering recent changes.
! :)