Author Topic: Travel Stories and Advice  (Read 14850 times)

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Travel Stories and Advice
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2017, 03:04:22 AM »
Uppsala had some amazing gardens and parks. The Linnaean Garden, near the University, is well worth a visit.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2017, 05:37:53 AM »
Uppsala had some amazing gardens and parks. The Linnaean Garden, near the University, is well worth a visit.
Exactly!

And I also remembered Dalahästen near the Stockholm City Hall, if we already started talking about wooden horses  ;D
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2017, 02:05:40 PM »
Found out I'm going to Peru and the Galapagos Islands instead of South Africa, if anyone has any suggestions or advice about those locations, I am interested!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
Found out I'm going to Peru and the Galapagos Islands instead of South Africa, if anyone has any suggestions or advice about those locations, I am interested!

AWESOME!  Do we need to get you an explorer's pith helmet?   ;)
(And is this related to the summer employment you mentioned elsewhere?)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

yankai

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
Hi everyone! I just found out I'm going to Norway in july, and I think this is the perfect place to ask, so, which places do you recomend visiting? For now we only have the plane tickets to Oslo (and ten days to explore!). Any advice about anything will be so welcome. Thank you!
Native: :argentina:
Kind of: :uk: / :italy:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
Hi everyone! I just found out I'm going to Norway in july, and I think this is the perfect place to ask, so, which places do you recommend visiting? For now we only have the plane tickets to Oslo (and ten days to explore!). Any advice about anything will be so welcome. Thank you!

I imagine a lot of us would love photos from the fjords around Dalsnes...

Map of the Known World in Y90:
http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=66
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
I imagine a lot of us would love photos from the fjords around Dalsnes...
To quote a warning straight off Dalsnes' wiki page:
Anyway, the SSSS Dalsnes is nowhere near the real world Norwegian Dalsnes (which is 40 km East of Trondheim, much farther North). According to comments posted by the author, the SSSS Dalsnes is entirely fictional.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »
Hi everyone! I just found out I'm going to Norway in july, and I think this is the perfect place to ask, so, which places do you recomend visiting? For now we only have the plane tickets to Oslo (and ten days to explore!). Any advice about anything will be so welcome. Thank you!

There's hundreds of places to be recommended, literally. It all depends on your interests, budget, mobility and physical shape. In my opinion you should get out of Oslo pretty early.

yankai

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2017, 09:20:07 PM »
There's hundreds of places to be recommended, literally. It all depends on your interests, budget, mobility and physical shape. In my opinion you should get out of Oslo pretty early.

Uhm, yeah, I know I should be more specific. We were thinking (maybe) about traveling to Bergen by train, and then rent a car there. Also we can hike, but not a lot (I think over 20km a day would be too much for us), and I can't imagine us camping. Personaly, I'm more into medieval stuff, but I think the general idea of the trip will be to visit natural attractions. :3
I'm sory I can't express myself correctly, I'm tired and kind of stressed out.  O_o

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »
Uhm, yeah, I know I should be more specific. We were thinking (maybe) about traveling to Bergen by train, and then rent a car there. Also we can hike, but not a lot (I think over 20km a day would be too much for us), and I can't imagine us camping. Personaly, I'm more into medieval stuff, but I think the general idea of the trip will be to visit natural attractions. :3
I'm sory I can't express myself correctly, I'm tired and kind of stressed out.  O_o

I'd stop over on the way to Bergen at Finse station (aka. planet Hoth from Star Wars) and maybe take a walk on the outskirt of the Hardanger highlands. I'd definitely consider renting bikes and going down Rallarvegen to Flåm. From there I'd take the Flåm rail back towards Finse or Bergen. There's usually a viking market/festival in Gudvangen, just 20 minutes from Flåm, in July. I believe there are regular buses from Flåm to that place. They're making a kind of viking village there nowadays. There's also a reconstructed stave church in Bergen.

It's a few hours away from Bergen, but Trolltunga is a popular hike and it's also fairly close to Jostedalsbreen glacier with skiing or hiking opportunities all year long. It's in the Hardanger fjords just east of Bergen, known for fruit and coastal villages - apparently it's where Aksel and Sigrun Eide live and where Sigrun comes from. Tourists (Germans and Brits) seem to like to fish there.

I'd also consider heading south for a bit to Rogaland county with Stavanger city, Hafrsfjord battlefield prekestolen and the Jæren cultural landscape.

North of Bergen you find the Sognefjord, which is the largest fjord of them all. It's very popular, but I haven't been there much so refer to the official guide for that one.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:27:25 AM by Fimbulvarg »

yankai

« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
I'd stop over on the way to Bergen at Finse station (aka. planet Hoth from Star Wars) and maybe take a walk on the outskirt of the Hardanger highlands. I'd definitely consider renting bikes and going down Rallarvegen to Flåm. From there I'd take the Flåm rail back towards Finse or Bergen. There's usually a viking market/festival in Gudvangen, just 20 minutes from Flåm, in July. I believe there are regular buses from Flåm to that place. They're making a kind of viking village there nowadays. There's also a reconstructed stave church in Bergen.

It's a few hours away from Bergen, but Trolltunga is a popular hike and it's also fairly close to Jostedalsbreen glacier with skiing or hiking opportunities all year long. It's in the Hardanger fjords just east of Bergen, known for fruit and coastal villages - apparently it's where Aksel and Sigrun Eide live and where Sigrun comes from. Tourists (Germans and Brits) seem to like to fish there.

I'd also consider heading south for a bit to Rogaland county with Stavanger city, Hafrsfjord battlefield prekestolen and the Jæren cultural landscape.

North of Bergen you find the Sognefjord, which is the largest fjord of them all. It's very popular, but I haven't been there much so refer to the official guide for that one.

Thank you Fimbulvarg! I'm sure it's going to be an amazing trip  8)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »
Any advice on what to see, do and eat in Helsinki/Helsingfors in an early December weekend?

corncobman

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Weirdsmith
corncobman's trip to Okinawa, Japan
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2018, 02:19:01 AM »
So someone in the disqus comments (can't remember who exactly) asked me if I was going to share photos of my recent trip to Japan. So I registered an Instagram account for this purpose.
For your viewing pleasure:

www.instagram.com/catburgerlar

More photos to come later, either on Instagram or in this thread.

A man left his Icelandic home
Escaped to Denmark to freely roam
With hair braided red
He got hit on the head
With a crate lid slammed onto his dome

Fluent: :uk:
Fluent spoken, bad writing: :china:
Some knowledge: :france: :germany:
Odd word here and there: :japan:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: corncobman's trip to Okinawa, Japan
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
"Original taste" Coca-Cola? Made with cane sugar not corn syrup? That would be a real pleasure.

Yes, yes, more pictures please.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
Re: corncobman's trip to Okinawa, Japan
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2018, 08:49:45 AM »
"Original taste" Coca-Cola? Made with cane sugar not corn syrup?
I suspect that the "original" refers to the state of affairs preceding the pick-a-random-"great new taste"-between-1985-and-the-near-future. ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15