Author Topic: Travel Stories and Advice  (Read 15170 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Travel Stories and Advice
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »
Ah, that's good that there's still stuff to do that isn't "lets spend a week in the frozen wastescapes of Iceland, because nature" :) I do enjoy festivals...

Even if you don't go camping in the "wastescapes" I think most people go to Iceland to see the nature. I can't speak for the other people who have expressed a desire to go, but that's definitely the case for me. So even if you don't intend to hike or camp I think a general interest in natural sights is pretty important if you want the trip to be worth the money. Reykjavik and those things are just a bonus.

But there's not many other places in Europe where you can enjoy outdoor hot springs! Or try to walk barefeet across a sandur.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:10:52 PM by Fimbulvarg »

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2015, 04:25:14 PM »
Yay!  We're in Helsinki!  ;D And we can haz BED!!!  (TIMMMM--BERRRRR!!!!)  8)
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
I was in sweden and probably this is my best experience I have had in Sweden:

Seriously I was in love wit this game and I was 20 (almost 21)

((my nickname was Jako at that time))
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
Soooo, I just wanted to dispense a tip to anyone traveling to North America and planning to do outdoor activities: watch out for poison ivy. Apparently it doesn't grow in Europe (you lucky ducks) so I thought it might be worth mentioning. Poison ivy rashes stink, and they're a great way to ruin a vacation. Ok, I'll go away now. Sorry if that was totally obvious and didn't need saying.
I wish someone had warned me before our trip to England that stinging nettles burn like bloody hell just from brushing against the plant, and can scare the blue blazes out of a neophyte before it fades in about 10 minutes.  Most embarrassing!   :-[
OK YES these are important. I don't know much about poison ivy, but Westernpoison oak (which is in the same genus)has dark-green, irregular leaves that turn bright red in fall and come in clumps of three. It's a small shrub/ground-cover kinda thing and usually grows under trees off the beaten path. You only get this species of poison oak on the west coast of North America, but other species are found all over the continent. There're cream thingies that you can buy to make the rash go away, and you should also wash any clothing/skin that touches it with soap to get the irritant off.
Nettles have light-green, sawtoothed, opposite leaves that are slightly fuzzy (actually the stabby stinger things, don't touch). They also have pale green flowers that kinda look like fluffy strings of beads? there's a picture in the wiki. They grow just about everywhere, and can sting you through clothing (though they're less likely to). The pain'll go away in 10-15 minutes, maybe a little faster if you rub the area to increase circulation. (You can also rub the sting with something rough, like dirt or the underside of fern-fronds, which is slightly more effective than your hand.)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2015, 05:40:12 AM »
If anyone ever wants to stay in Utrecht but goes there by vehicle of any sorts:

I recommend stayokay hostel in Utrecht Bunik. It was lovely, really, the breakfast was amazing and you could return as late at night as you wanted since the busses seemed to be running eternally.

also Utrecht is very nice, too. Not only the Comic book store and the game store are amazing, it has a nice Manga library to read all the manga you want to read.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Ruby

• Sparkly, shiny, easily distract--OOH LOOK!
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2017, 05:42:43 AM »
Hello all!

First off, sorry if reviving this thread is awkward... it seemed like the preferable option to starting a new redundant topic.

So! This coming May I am planning my first solo international trip... to ICELAND!!!! (I'm pretty stoked if you can't tell.) I have travelled alone within the US before, and I've also traveled a fair bit outside the country, but this is the first time I'm doing both and I figured it would behoove me to seek guidance from my sage elders (that's you guys.  ;) )

One of the things I'm having trouble with is figuring out an appropriate scale for the trip. I'm going to be there for about nine days, not including the days I fly in and fly out. How much of the island is it feasible, and rewarding, for me to try see in that time? Is it worth it to take a bus or fly to the eastern region for a few days, or should I concentrate my focus in the area around Reykjavik so I don't lose too much of my time transporting around various places?

Speaking of transportation, any opinions on renting a car versus bus transportation? From my research, it seems like the bus system is pretty comprehensive, and I prefer the idea of getting to meet and chat with other people on the bus to driving around by myself the whole time.

Third, any recommendations for things I simply must do while I'm there? In particular, does anyone know of any ways I could get in touch with other hiking groups? I'm excited to get out and explore some of Iceland's natural beauty, but I would feel more comfortable joining up with another group of people than heading out alone in some places. However, I'm also really interested in exploring Iceland's cities and culture, so if you have any non-nature favorite destinations, I'm all ears!

And, of course, if there are any Minnions interested in meeting up I would be delighted to do so!

Thank you if you got to the end of this wordsplurge, and a double thanks if you found the patience in your heart to reply. I love you all!
"My cat ate my PDF file!" -Minna Sundberg

Questionable proficiency: :usa:
Passable w/ open dictionary nearby: :vaticancity:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »
If you rent a car, take notice of the weather, and make sure your rental is insured. Iceland can get windy to the point of picking up rocks and bombarding cars with them. Hiking there is great, but again, all precautions - food, water, a locator beacon if you are going somewhere really remote (I think you can rent one?), cold-weather gear (carried if not worn). Go the first time with somebody local if you can, or with a tour group. The weather can do all manner of weird stuff with little to no warning, rivers can suddenly change their channel or overflow, and you need good quality hiking boots and decent woollen hiking socks.

The bus system used to be pretty good, might be worth asking if the Icelandic Minnions can give you any pointers about its present state. Totally beautiful country, and well worth the effort.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2017, 02:03:36 PM »
Hello all!

First off, sorry if reviving this thread is awkward... it seemed like the preferable option to starting a new redundant topic.

So! This coming May I am planning my first solo international trip... to ICELAND!!!! (I'm pretty stoked if you can't tell.) I have travelled alone within the US before, and I've also traveled a fair bit outside the country, but this is the first time I'm doing both and I figured it would behoove me to seek guidance from my sage elders (that's you guys.  ;) )

One of the things I'm having trouble with is figuring out an appropriate scale for the trip. I'm going to be there for about nine days, not including the days I fly in and fly out. How much of the island is it feasible, and rewarding, for me to try see in that time? Is it worth it to take a bus or fly to the eastern region for a few days, or should I concentrate my focus in the area around Reykjavik so I don't lose too much of my time transporting around various places?

Speaking of transportation, any opinions on renting a car versus bus transportation? From my research, it seems like the bus system is pretty comprehensive, and I prefer the idea of getting to meet and chat with other people on the bus to driving around by myself the whole time.

Third, any recommendations for things I simply must do while I'm there? In particular, does anyone know of any ways I could get in touch with other hiking groups? I'm excited to get out and explore some of Iceland's natural beauty, but I would feel more comfortable joining up with another group of people than heading out alone in some places. However, I'm also really interested in exploring Iceland's cities and culture, so if you have any non-nature favorite destinations, I'm all ears!

And, of course, if there are any Minnions interested in meeting up I would be delighted to do so!

Thank you if you got to the end of this wordsplurge, and a double thanks if you found the patience in your heart to reply. I love you all!

Hi, Ruby.  You were spot-on to revive this thread.  I have no objections to thread "necromancy" if it's on-topic.

I'm sure others will weigh in, but hopefully you saw just a few posts up (dating to summer 2015) that Laufey and Viola can tell you lots about Iceland.  :) 
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=431.msg55346#msg55346

My friend's daughter just got back from a week in Iceland through a school trip.  If you like, I can ask her about the issues of packing to visit an Arctic land when you live in temperate California.  (She said the weather was the one thing she didn't like -- everything else was awesome.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Ruby

• Sparkly, shiny, easily distract--OOH LOOK!
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
My friend's daughter just got back from a week in Iceland through a school trip.  If you like, I can ask her about the issues of packing to visit an Arctic land when you live in temperate California.  (She said the weather was the one thing she didn't like -- everything else was awesome.)

Thank you, that would be much appreciated! I'm hoping that since I'm traveling in late May the weather won't be too bad--seasonal weather reports seem to say that the temperature will be around 50 F, which sounds manageable with a good windbreaker and thick socks. :) I would also be interested to hear if your daughter had any favorite destinations from her trip! (Also how cool is it that her school has a program to help their students travel? Neato!)

"My cat ate my PDF file!" -Minna Sundberg

Questionable proficiency: :usa:
Passable w/ open dictionary nearby: :vaticancity:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
A friend of mine recently visited Iceland! They said that be sure to bring enough money - apparently it was more expensive than they had anticipated. They also recommend going to the hot springs, I think they're called? I'm not sure on what the transport or hiking there is like though, I'm sorry!!

And to hijack the thread (sorry!!) - I'm looking at visiting Sweden this summer. I'll probably be in Stockholm but was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to go/what to see? I've spotted the natural history museum so I'll obviously be spending at least a day there (I love me my natural history) but not sure what else. I'm not really that interested in art galleries.
And transportation and travel advice is also good! Are there any systems in place like there are in Amsterdam with GVB and the trams?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:01 AM »
A friend of mine recently visited Iceland! They said that be sure to bring enough money - apparently it was more expensive than they had anticipated. They also recommend going to the hot springs, I think they're called? I'm not sure on what the transport or hiking there is like though, I'm sorry!!

And to hijack the thread (sorry!!) - I'm looking at visiting Sweden this summer. I'll probably be in Stockholm but was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to go/what to see? I've spotted the natural history museum so I'll obviously be spending at least a day there (I love me my natural history) but not sure what else. I'm not really that interested in art galleries.
And transportation and travel advice is also good! Are there any systems in place like there are in Amsterdam with GVB and the trams?

Any hope of a side trip to Mora, Sweden?  (Capital of Post-Rash Scandinavia...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
Any hope of a side trip to Mora, Sweden?  (Capital of Post-Rash Scandinavia...)
I do want to go...
I'll bring back little wooden horsies for everyone.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
Californian expat here, I know good places to visit and when regarding the central cost, the north coast, the central and northern Sierras, and the desert regions.

In order starting at the beginning of the year:

January:

Generally you want to plan any trips to the Mojave areas, like Death Valley, Red Rock Canyon, Joshua Tree etc for January because it's kinda right in between the rains. However, make a note that some roads may be washed out because of prior rains and that various land management services have not cleared out anything other than the blacktop. In DV I highly suggest visiting Scotty's Castle, the borax works, ubehebe crater and badwater basin. The Racetrack is neat and all, but it's a long drive along a terrible road. Bring 4wd (not AWD) and patience for the smoothest ride but it can be managed in a 2wd vehicle. Pack for relatively cold weather, as it's january in the desert, temperatures can dip below freezing.

February, March:
Best skiiing and snowboarding time. Plan your trips up to the various ski resorts in california for this time period.

April, May: Now is the time of the spring festivals in the central San Joaquin Valley, small towns, fair food etc.

June, July, August:
Coast or mountains, you don't want to be in the valley right now. Temperatures get up to 115 sometimes. for the Central Coast, I suggest Monterrey, Avila, Cambria and Pismo. North coast I suggest Fort Bragg.

Activities range from surfing, boating, fishing, snorkeling, searching out rare moonstones in the beach, abalone diving and clamming.

For the sierras I suggest: The shasta-trinity national forest, Sierra National forest, Yosemite National Park, Kings Canyon Nat. Park. Activities include, fishing, camping, hiking, climbing and some of the best stargazing. Also various locations will have 4th of july celebrations (though for the best one I suggest a little town in idaho by the name of Crouch.. it's basically a block party where everyone brings a small truckload of fireworks and the private party outstip's the local fireworks show by a good margin. bring ear-pro and eye-pro)

Additionally the California State Fair is in July... however that's in Sacramento, very humid, very hot. Go at your own risk.

September:

Generally something of a slow month, not much really that I've done and wandered about on this month.

October:

Summer fair season is coming to a close, The Big Fresno Fair is one to check out though. Beware, it can still be relatively hot at this time of year.

November: I don't do much during this point in time, too busy with other stuff normally.

December: the only thing I generally try to do during this month, aside from christmas and catching up with family is make a trip to the nation's christmas tree in the general grant grove in the Sequoia Kings National Park.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
I do want to go...
I'll bring back little wooden horsies for everyone.
Dare ya! >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2017, 02:52:10 AM »
And to hijack the thread (sorry!!) - I'm looking at visiting Sweden this summer. I'll probably be in Stockholm but was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to go/what to see?
My brightest memories from Stockholm are the Vasa museum (I too often watched Pirates of the Caribbean and the Titanic as a child) and Junibacken (THIS MUSEUM IS SUCH COOL OH MY LORD THIS IS SO SUPER). You might also like Fotografiska, I think? At least not far away there is an excellent viewing platform! Also I visited Uppsala - a very calm and pleasant place (at least I thought so)  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:54:43 AM by heiteru »
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3