Author Topic: Reynir Árnason -- Character Development  (Read 29501 times)

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Reynir Árnason -- Character Development
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »
Hah, Reynir is about as old as I expected. Some thought he would be 15-17.

I think one of the biggest parts about Reynir's immediate development is going to be about his relationship to Sigrun. She is not going to like having him around, and she'll probably give him a ton of s*** for a long time even though it's not really his fault he got dumped there.
What I do wonder, though, is future expeditions. It's been implied this will just be the first expedition, so what about Braidy? Will he develop a thirst for adventure in the silent world? Will he find his niche that can make him helpful on expedition?

It's been suggested a while ago (even before Lalli got introduced)by Minna that Reynir doesn't actually know he's a mage.
Quote from: Minna
http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=67
Oh! And two of the main characters are mages too! One of them knows it, one doesn't and will find out later. And those two mages won't be from the same country, nope. Wanna guess which two it'll be?
So that will probably be significant. Lalli knows he is, but he doesn't know it himself. Interesting.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:11:47 AM by BrainBlow »

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 11:18:53 AM »

I think one of the biggest parts about Reynir's immediate development is going to be about his relationship to Sigrun.

it's true that

but then again, she does count Not Dying On The First Day as potential........... and at the drawing on the front page she seems pretty nice to him, so we'll see!! surely she won't be threatened by a fellow redhead competing with her Superior Tallness.

I wonder if Lalli will explain to tuuri that he saw reynir in the dreamworld, causing confusiona and/or questions about his possibly being a mage?

(also weheyy Reynir's my ageeee)
you'll know where to find me.

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »

I think one of the biggest parts about Reynir's immediate development is going to be about his relationship to Sigrun. She is not going to like having him around, and she'll probably give him a ton of s*** for a long time even though it's not really his fault he got dumped there.
What I do wonder, though, is future expeditions. It's been implied this will just be the first expedition, so what about Braidy? Will he develop a thirst for adventure in the silent world? Will he find his niche that can make him helpful on expedition?
I also thought thought he would be younger! But, presumably the fact that he's spent his whole life on one farm (as far as has been implied, anyway) makes him less mature than his age suggests.

I actually was JUST wondering the same thing, like literally 15 minutes ago, whether he's just along for this ONE adventure or if he's staying for the long-run. I mean, presumably if he's a main character Minna isn't going to only have him hang around for a chapter and then disappear... (I hope not...)
Though with the bridge out, the possibility of even our MAIN crew making it back safely is kind of in question.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
I actually was JUST wondering the same thing, like literally 15 minutes ago, whether he's just along for this ONE adventure or if he's staying for the long-run. I mean, presumably if he's a main character Minna isn't going to only have him hang around for a chapter and then disappear... (I hope not...)
Though with the bridge out, the possibility of even our MAIN crew making it back safely is kind of in question.
Well, seeing as he has been in every group photo since the start of the series, and is the face of many banners + the hive works logo of the site, it's almost as if he's the designated Face of the series.... I think it's safe to say he'll stick around for a while

edit: dang, why didn't I say "it's safe to say he'll stay"
you know
for Title Drop purposes
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:33:03 PM by Haiz »

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »
Well, seeing as he has been in every group photo since the start of the series, and is the face of many banners + the hive works logo of the site, it's almost as if he's the designated Face of the series.... I think it's safe to say he'll stick around for a while

Thank gosh as he seems to have taken the very important postition of Actual Favorite in my heart, although I love everybody in this comic.
He seems like he would be more useful eventually, keeping Tuuri company and also doing magey things? It's been canonly said (no reference link on hand) that he's the most useless though, so...
((also, I got his age Spot On and thought he was 20, exactly, what a successful guess for once!))
YEET

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 01:10:08 PM »

edit: dang, why didn't I say "it's safe to say he'll stay"
you know
for Title Drop purposes

I always figured that the text on the left of this page: http://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=65 was some kind of contract for the crew, which suggests he's in for the long run. I seriously doubt Minna would have posted so much concept art of him if she's getting rid of him :P

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
With a pretty face like that it's hard not to have him as the mascot.

He will stay. Once he learns about magic (I too subscribe to the idea that he's not a mage - though my initial assessment of him was that he was, in fact, an experienced mage - but on second thought, he doesn't need to know about magic to have his soul wander during sleep. Hannu was probably no mage and he did it. :P Plus, considering his ancestor's stance, magic sensitivity was probably suppressed in his family to avoid complications, the imperative being to lead a normal, boring life, away from all the weird stuff beyond the shores of Iceland. So he raised sheeps, while in his sleep he travelled far and wide in the spirit world) , he will be useful. Like cool - free mage. Maybe. He needs a bit of training first to be useful. But that's okay. The group is divided in roughly three brackets:

Very Experienced (Sigrun, Mikkel)
Dad and mom, basically. Actual adult military personnel who have plenty of experience in and off the battlefield.

Experienced (Emil and Lalli)
They both know what they are doing when they are doing their job (Lalli can scout and Emil can sure burn things), but they lack the experience of the two others. They are also held back by their personality issues - Emil is still stuck with his elite conditioning and Lalli, inversely seems barely socialized due to his job.

Inexperienced (Tuuri and Reynir)
Both have no experience with the Silent World  - They both wanted to get out from where they were (the military base and the farm), but Tuuri seems to be very excited about the outside world while Reynir, his motivations pending, doesn't seem particularly thrilled so far. They are also both not immune. Interestingly enough, Reynir is depicted in a bunch of concept art/doodles with tools on his belts, like Tuuri, possibly meaning he will be something of a mechanic/support type as well.

So yeah. He's got his place on the team, I'd say - balances things out.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 09:52:36 PM »
Plus, considering his ancestor's stance, magic sensitivity was probably suppressed in his family to avoid complications, the imperative being to lead a normal, boring life, away from all the weird stuff beyond the shores of Iceland.
I don't know about that... I may be reading too much into things, but Arni's complains of poor sleep and terrible dreams seem pretty close to what Lalli himself experiences. We don't know when exactly magic showed up yet, but going off of that alone, I'd say there's a fairly good chance that magical abilities run in the family.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »
By that I meant that it would have been written off as something else - I personally think that they were all a bunch of mages, but by suppression I meant not the powers but rather they would never be caught calling themselves mages. They would chalk it up to night terrors, vivid imagination, elves - who knows - but not magic. Nope. Definitely not. Nothing to do with all these shenanigans out there. We are normal people here.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:17 PM »
By that I meant that it would have been written off as something else - I personally think that they were all a bunch of mages, but by suppression I meant not the powers but rather they would never be caught calling themselves mages. They would chalk it up to night terrors, vivid imagination, elves - who knows - but not magic. Nope. Definitely not. Nothing to do with all these shenanigans out there. We are normal people here.

That kind of implies that mages and magical users are considered something abnormal, which... I don't know, doesn't seem to be the case? There's a mage training academy IN Iceland, Sigrun talks about working with mages in the past, I think it's not really a huge deal in those countries. I think the info page even said that most Finns can use spells to some degree, so it's probably too widespread to be considered something weird or unnatural.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »
It does not because it is limited to that family, not the whole society. While we know nothing of recruitment methods so far, we could imagine that mages are actively searched for and trained since they are such a tremendous asset against the monsters. It would require perhaps, inversedly, considerable amount of efforts to dissimulate and hide someone with a connection to the spirit world. This could be done by isolation - the farmstead was far away from the reach of the Academy, or dissimulation - the potential was hidden or denied, common features were explained or rationalized within the context of the family and dissuaded more generally.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 11:12:21 PM »
I think Vafhudr's talking about Arni himself and his family, in (and before) Year Zero, when he says they "would never be caught dead talking about themselves as mages." 

Especially since Arni's in the military, in a role that depends on accurate vision for what's in THIS world *only*.

EDIT:  Ooops.  My attempt to read Vafhudr's mind failed.  Sorry about that.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »
Not quite. You are almost there. What I am trying to get at is heavily dependent on what Arni said in his short part.

Arni clearly stated he wants nothing to do with the Silent World. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to include magic and his nightmares in the category of what he considers the silent world. Furthermore, I also hypothesize that his attitude was transmitted to his descendants - that this unwillingness to engage with the silent world and the new reality of the post-rash world has led them to refuse acknowledging their own magicalness. The dreams continued in the descendants, but something must have been done because several generations down and they are still sheepherders. My suggestion is that the beliefs of Arni became family dogma - don't touch anything related to the Silent World. Raise sheeps - they are a sure value. Stay home - there's nothing good outside of Iceland. And so on.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 04:01:28 AM »
There's one more important Iceland detail to this though: traditionally there are many kinds of magic-wielding people in Iceland, but for Icelanders not all magic is magical.

For example people who get visions in the dreaming, be they of the future or the current events (f.ex. using the dreams to find something that's lost) are not the same as people who know and use runic magic, or people who use seiður. The dream-using people are considered normal, everyday people who just so happen to have that talent, and they're called skyggn. Just because you're skyggn does not mean you're a seiðkona/-karl.

Runic magic is something that anyone can use but it demands a lot of studying. Magical staves in particular are not just scribbled here and there whichever way: they usually come with complex set of instructions on not only which direction they have to be drawn or carved but also what they have to be carved on and what else needs to be done. The use of staves does not automatically have the effect you'd think it does, and people's view of you might be quite negative depending on how you use them.

As an example there's a stave called óttastafur, terror stave. If you carve it in the right direction on an oaken shield and then throw the shield at the feet of your enemy he'll be seized by terror and either freeze on a spot or flee. If you fail any of the instructions the stave either won't work at all or worse, it'll work against you. However, even if it would work your reputation will be in the ruins because you've just demonstrated you don't have the guts to go against your enemy without leaning on unfair tricks.

There were of course all kinds of staves. There were those that were carved on tools and then filled with the user's blood, to f.ex. make a rake faster to use. :D Farming tools, fishing tools, that sort of thing. There were staves commonly used to battle harmful magic or magical creatures. There were those used for good, healing for example, and those used for bad such as love staves - love staves were counted among attempting to cause grievous bodily harm and the punishment for the use of them could be death, if they worked. Egils saga has a story of a young man who gets turned down by the girl he has a crush on and attempts to use love staves to win her over... only he makes a mistake carving them and the girl gets deadly ill instead. Another such story is of Jón Jónsson the younger who was burned at a stake for using fart runes against a woman who turned him down.

Seiður users were commonly women and the practice was seen as extremely feminine, although the biggest seiður user of all times was male - Odin himself. Seiður requires both talent and a vast knowledge, and on occasion the help of other seiður users as there are things a single magic-user cannot accomplish alone.

And then there are the vala/völva, prophetesses. They used seiður too but were especially good at seeing the future and were given a lot of respect by the community. They not only were knowledgeable on magic but history as well and had proven their skills at prophesy many times before.

SO after this looooong rant: Árni may have been skyggn. He may have had talent for all kinds of magic, who knows, but if he never studied magic it would come to nothing and others would only view him as one of them skyggn people/a bit weird/crazy. Reynir most definitely seems to have the talent, but if all he's got to show are dreams people are just going to think he's skyggn, especially so if there are other skyggn people in the family line.

We know Icelandic mages are largely female so I'm assuming a talented male mage can go unnoticed simply because it's not something people keep an eye out for in a boy. If Reynir had sisters and they showed similar talent they'd be far likelier to be taken seriously in the after-Rash world.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 05:33:06 AM »
Beautiful Exposition

you, miss, are a Treasure Throve of Knowledge, and I'm glad we have you around.
(also we had to read Egilsoga at school and I hardly remember any of it, except that he killed a kid with an axe at age 8, and kidnapped some wife or other. not the most best role model)