Author Topic: Reynir Árnason -- Character Development  (Read 29498 times)

North

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • i am rage incarnate. your world shall burn.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Reynir Árnason -- Character Development
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2015, 06:39:22 AM »
*Bows and pays respect to you, beautiful person*
You are very welcome.
Also, that piece of art is the most glorious thing I've seen. It's perfect.
Fluent: :norway: :uk:
Newbie: :germany: :russia:
Pronouns: she/her

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2020, 12:53:02 PM »
Soo... Reynir character development discussion has ended by the time Reynir’s character development started :) Anybody want to continue? I was linked to this thread, but if there is a more appropriate one, pleased let me know!

Jumping from the confused and apologetic lad he (understandably) was when he first arrived in the Silent World, Reynir has probably grown the most. Just now, in Adventure 2 and especially on p 314, he’s a useful member of the team. He’s also got self esteem and decisiveness, even enough to outright stand up to Onni, and rightfully so.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2020, 03:39:04 PM »
Agreed. Between finding his magic, learning to have at least some mastery of it, and moving from being the baby of a large and competent family to being someone in his own right, with his own worthwhile skills, is a huge step.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2020, 07:00:37 PM »
Agreed.  It was thrilling to see him put his foot down to fight for what he knew was right, in Pastor Anne's case. 
Will we get an arc when he pushes for something, following the same set of instincts, which proves to be *wrong*?  (Because that certainly is a thing for the wunderkind trope to experience.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »
Agreed.  It was thrilling to see him put his foot down to fight for what he knew was right, in Pastor Anne's case. 
Will we get an arc when he pushes for something, following the same set of instincts, which proves to be *wrong*?  (Because that certainly is a thing for the wunderkind trope to experience.)
If we do, I hope it's something where he can afford to be wrong without anyone dying as a consequence; given the lethality of the Silent World, that's not likely.

phocena

• Preferred pronouns: He/His, They/Their
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2020, 07:35:38 PM »
I think Onni will be Reynir's first pseudo-mentor now that they're together and out in the field. Without Onni, Reynir wouldn't last even a day on his own.
Spoiler: show
 Reynir: Hey Onni, look, a spirit troll!
Onni: Wha... NO, DON't-
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:37:49 PM by phocena »
native: :usa:
rusty: :mexico:
learning: :egypt:
want to learn: :southkorea:
maybe one day: :china:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2020, 11:59:38 AM »
So, do we think today’s prank means Reynir has progressed, or possibly gone backwards? I’m in two minds - on the one hand it’s good to see he has some humor left in him even after so long (how long? Week? Two weeks? Since Väinö’s) in constant peril. On the other, this could have been a very emotional moment but he went for the laughs.

Now that I’m writing this, it occurs to me that Reynir is indeed in relative safety for the first time for a long while (longer than since Väinö’s actually) and he knows it too because Onni explained it briefly with the mosquito incident. So maybe he’s a bit light headed with relief with the safe place and finding Onni, and on top of that even seeing Tuuri. So maybe his prank isn’t that well considered, but perhaps he can be forgiven?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2020, 01:31:43 PM »
So, do we think today’s prank means Reynir has progressed, or possibly gone backwards? I’m in two minds - on the one hand it’s good to see he has some humor left in him even after so long (how long? Week? Two weeks? Since Väinö’s) in constant peril. On the other, this could have been a very emotional moment but he went for the laughs.

Now that I’m writing this, it occurs to me that Reynir is indeed in relative safety for the first time for a long while (longer than since Väinö’s actually) and he knows it too because Onni explained it briefly with the mosquito incident. So maybe he’s a bit light headed with relief with the safe place and finding Onni, and on top of that even seeing Tuuri. So maybe his prank isn’t that well considered, but perhaps he can be forgiven?

I think you've hit on something - he may be a bit giddy with relief from constant vigilance, and he does seem to lack a bit in the judgement department sometimes. The combination could definitely lead him to a rather tasteless prank. Or perhaps he's been pranked many times by now by Mikkel (off "camera") and it's rubbing off!  :))
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2020, 03:40:43 PM »
Here we see Reynir the Grown-up again! http://www.sssscomic.com/comic2.php?page=343

He’s bringing up an important piece of information despite the fact that (even) he must understand that Onni “maybe a little stressed”. He’ll soon be a real boy!

Lallicat

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they/it
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2020, 08:17:25 PM »
Reynir is part lion. Who knew?
Fluent in :us: and :fr:

AndrogynousAutarch

• Preferred pronouns: He/ Him/ They
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2020, 04:56:13 AM »
Speaking as someone who just completed the comic, I find Reynir to be really growing on me as a character. His growth into a more mature explorer has proven to be very satisfying. I'm also ecstatic when he shares the scene with Lalli and Emil.
The king of all creation fell out of heaven, usurped by a seven headed beast. But the old king shall choose a new, and he will ignite the Third Conquest. He will be flanked by a white and a black flame, His coming will be followed by 108 burning stars. He will bear the terrible heat of the voice in his brow, the mark of his lordliness. He will face the beast—and he will annihilate it.
He will wield the terrible blade of Want, and the pillars of heaven will quake with his coming.
And his name—his